Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Odd

Thread: Illinois may grant driver's licenses to illegal immigrants

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Illinois may grant driver's licenses to illegal immigrants

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Illinois may soon become the most populous U.S. state to grant a form of driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, after the nation's growing Hispanic population boosted the power of Democrats in national and state elections on November 6.
    A bipartisan group of Illinois politicians announced on Tuesday they would propose such a law when the legislature convenes on November 27.
    Washington state and New Mexico are the only states that currently allow illegal immigrants to get licenses. Utah allows driving permits. As the fifth most populous state, Illinois would be the biggest state to adopt such a law.
    A California law that allows immigrants with federal work permits to receive driver's licenses will take effect January 1, 2013.
    Supporters said the law would be good for public safety, allowing Illinois immigrant motorists to get tested on their driving skills and buy insurance.
    "When you have a quarter of a million undocumented drivers on the road, it's definitely a safety concern," said Ron Holmes, spokesman for Illinois Senate President John Cullerton, who is backing the measure along with fellow Democrats Illinois Governor Pat Quinn and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
    Former Illinois Governor Jim Edgar, a popular Republican, joined Democrats at a news conference in Chicago Tuesday to support the idea, as did Republican State Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka. It also has the support of the powerful House Speaker, Chicago Democrat Michael Madigan, giving it a good chance of passage.
    The drive to pass the law follows the re-election of Democratic President Barack Obama, Democratic gains in the U.S. Senate and in the Illinois legislature with strong Hispanic support.

Illinois may grant driver's licenses to illegal immigrants - Yahoo! News
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'm ok with this.

Same way I'm ok with them getting a cat permit from the Department of Critters. I prefer my government decentralized and compartmental. I don't want the DMV doing border security any more than I want them signing up new voters. I want them to stick to their knitting, in their case, validating if someone has met the base bottom requirements to let them loose on the highway.

I wouldn't have Border Patrol verifying cat permits either. I would have an objection to the Department of Critters assigning a license to drive.

Ultimately I'd prefer politician types stop making a Driver's License into a much wider back-door than it is. I got outvoted. Not going to change my view to adapt to what others are scheming.
    Rhino likes this.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Not going to change my view to adapt to what others are scheming.
    And it is all a scheme. No chance of it being anything else.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information