Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnnyRotten
  • 1 Post By That Guy
  • 1 Post By Odd
  • 1 Post By Xiphos

Thread: Ever heard of WAZE?

JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer

Ever heard of WAZE?

Waze is a smartphone app that combines GPS mapping with live updates from users. The users update the road as they drive to alert fellow wazers to things like traffic, construction, speed traps...

Yeah, my concern isn't that you've been "made" in your hidey hole, it's that some banger/creep/psycho who has it in for LEO's now has real time info as to where you are.

Just thought it important enough to pass along.
    lewisipso likes this.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Although it my be futile I rarely use my phone GPS anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if it could somehow be turned on remotely if big brother wanted to find me. Hell, at this point not much would surprise me.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRotten View Post
    Yeah, my concern isn't that you've been "made" in your hidey hole, it's that some banger/creep/psycho who has it in for LEO's now has real time info as to where you are.

Just thought it important enough to pass along.

I actually use Trapster at work. It is similar. My known hidey holes are there along with the twenty other spots that I created and voted up as reliable.

Thing about Waze is that the traps expire after a certain period if they aren't updated or if someone passes and doesn't see you there anymore. It's way more interactive. No spoofing the system.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Trap star us the same.
    JohnnyRotten likes this.

I didn't know that. Thanks!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Although it my be futile I rarely use my phone GPS anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if it could somehow be turned on remotely if big brother wanted to find me. Hell, at this point not much would surprise me.
    I thought part of FCC E911 requirements going forward from about when smartphones hit was that the GPS is on all the time. Turning it on/off just disables the userspace apps receiving data. Heard it both ways, that it's about upgrading the towers for better triangulation and that it's done at the phone.

Never got a completely straight answer on that though. I want it off to save battery, but if that radio chip is powered up anyway I wouldn't bother with it.
    lewisipso likes this.

The thing about an app like Waze that eats your battery is that it is constantly updating your location which requires constant powering of the location beacon. Most apps only use it for a second then it turns off.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    I thought part of FCC E911 requirements going forward from about when smartphones hit was that the GPS is on all the time. Turning it on/off just disables the userspace apps receiving data. Heard it both ways, that it's about upgrading the towers for better triangulation and that it's done at the phone.

Never got a completely straight answer on that though. I want it off to save battery, but if that radio chip is powered up anyway I wouldn't bother with it.
    That's correct. The newer generation of phones (including dumb phones) have GPS built into the telephony to identify your location when you call 911. We get 911 hang up calls all the time and get the area the phone called from. It's usually butt dialing and people are long gone by the time we get there.

Disabling GPS on your smart phone is only disabling your apps from using the GPS, it doesn't prevent the above.
    JohnnyRotten likes this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information