Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ruh
    Ruh is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum

Talking I get SWORN IN Friday!!!

Wow. I can't believe it.

So I went up to the station today to get in touch with my BI, I had already called him 3 times today, to see how I did on my CVSA. I was sweating a bit because the operator told me I was stressing on 3 questions, and reviewed them and he said "Well, I'll have someone else look at them to make sure I didn't make a mistake." That REALLY bummed me out and I thought I failed. Chief talked to me a bit saying unofficially he thought I passed so it made me feel a little better. The he told me of a probable full time position opening in the next couple of weeks.

Anyways, before I get too far off track . I went to see my BI to get the official word. Well, he never told me. I walked into his officer which is right in front of the chief's and he says "Hey chief, your new reservist is here." Let me tell you, I was already feeling lightheaded from a small surgery I had this morning, but that almost made me pass out.

So, I get all of my uniform stuff and duty gear on Friday, qualify with the departments handgun, and I also get sworn in on Friday. Then after all of that I have to go to work from 3pm-11pm at my full time Security Job lol. Pretty damn funny to me.

Well, just thought I'd share. So...keep an eye out for my verification information soon. I mean, after all that's IS why I am becoming a cop...so I can get into the Verified Section .
    Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother." - Henry V

"Crime does pay, in brass and lead."

This is myspace.

FishTail Guest
    Congratulations! Don't forget to let us verify you!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Congrats Ruh!

Congrats!
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Congratulations, RUH! We will be able to verify you quickly, because we care.

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Congrats! Don't forget us little guys when you get rich and famous........

Ruh
    Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    Congratulations, RUH! We will be able to verify you quickly, because we care.
    Thanks!
    So...do I have to wait until I get sworn in Friday or should I go up to the Dept now so you can verify me .

This is myspace.

Ruh
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker
    Congrats! Don't forget us little guys when you get rich and famous........
    Bah, you people mean nuffin to me.

This is myspace.

nitestokker is offline Banned

Talking

Be patient, grasshopper. You will have your entire career to get pissed off by waiting on people!lol!

Big-Mo is offline Banned
    I would HOPE that some of us Retirees would like to help out a probee and make him better on the street. Let us see how many of you guys/gals can give him good sound street advice that he could use to protect himself and other officers. Lets hope he can pay attention and use some of these, the problem with most is that they do NOT pay attention to the veteran officers !

1. ALWAYS remember, 'Stay out of your subjects FACE and his SPACE!' Everyone has there own space around them and we need it also and getting in someones face projects a confrontation. You need your space and don't want them in your face well use that both ways. Remind them when they start to enter your space and it will register.

2. AlWAYS remember to show respect to person you are conversing with. Most complaintants views are to get and hold respect but they forget to respect you. Remind them of that and it works for most parts.... ONLY return the actions directed at you but let THEM violate it first !!

3. If you are driving down the street and surveying people on the street and you see a subject that got your attention, had seen you, reach up and unintentionally pat part of his body, this is an indication that he is either packing a weapon or had on one and you reminded him of it.

4. If you stop a vehicle and the first action of the driver is to bend over forward and appear to reach under or move something, THEY DID!! They are either placing a weapon or drugs under the seat. They will say that something just slid out but don't bet on it, GET THEM OUT and IN CUFFS!! Secure them with another officer or in your car until you can search and sieze whatever it was. If nothing, you will live another day.

5. NEVER stand next to driver or within arms distance and always put them to disadvantage by looking left and to the rear and can't reach you.

6. I was told by an older officer and relative that IF you see a man walking down the street and wearing real flashy clothing that he is definitely advertising that he is a criminal and most likely wanted on warrents. Believe it or not, 7 out of 10 times he was correct !!

7. NEVER, handcuff in the front (some depts have policies though) and LOCK THEM which keeps them from tightening or suspect from unlocking them. Also belt them in so they may not wiggle the cuffs into the front.

8. VERY IMPORTANT, NEVER strike a suspect, unless NO CHOICE, in front of witnesses or even other officers. YOU WILL HAVE YOUR TIME!! I don't care if they spit in your face, get them INTO private police cruiser van that has no windows or private area of police station and PICK YOUR PLACE and THEN KICK HIS BUTT.... As you KNOW they SOMETIMES DO DESERVE IT !!

9. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO C.Y.A. (Cover Your Ass) KEEP NOTES at home, NOT WORK!! IF you feel better, carry a recorder but NEVER let them know it or hear it but for your protection from going to jail..... Keep copies of ALL police reports you made for courts. IF a supervisor says change a report to make it a lie then put it in report and if ordered to delete parts that cover your ass, keep a record of original. They cannot hurt you IF you are right BUT carry proper records....

10. NEVER charge into a scene without backup. If they assign you as an assist or send you an assist THEN DAMN WAIT FOR THEM, that is why it is THAT WAY !!

I could go on for much more but at this time it seems like the most important and you will learn more while working. Get a decent partner and IF you and partner can't work then make new arrangements.

'TAKE CARE AND BE SAFE !!'

Ruh
    Thanks for the advice Big-Mo, and everyone else included .

This is myspace.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Always:

Look up-You'd be suprised how many people are not noticed because all too often we're looking at our level or below.

Search the places you don't think someone can hide-because they can, and will hide there

Search your arrestees numerous times-Just because someone else said they searched em, doesn't mean they got everything.

When you have to use force, use it quick, and powerful, overwhelm them with the violence of action, it will stop a knock down drag out before it starts.

Go into EVERYTHING prepared- I got in once the best fights of my career with a guy I was taking a report from.

Touch the car trunk or fender on all your stops-It's not just to make sure the trunk's latched, if you end up shot or assaulted, most likely they won't think to wash your prints off their car.

And the big "Always", GO HOME AT THE END OF THE TOUR

Never:

Get in a pissing match with a suspect-you'll only look like an ass and end up with complaints. They want to mess around with you, either hook em up for whatever applies, or cut em loose to hunt another day, verbal arguments will only piss you off and cloud your judgement.

Let your guard down, even when assisting a disabled motorist. A deputy not far away was killed by a guy he was giving a ride to a gas station because the guy had warrants, and thought he was going to be discovered as wanted.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Roses is offline Member
    Congratulations and best of luck to you!
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Ruh
    I am so angry, well actually not really, I didn't get sworn in today. I guess I misunderstood the way things were supposed to go. HOWEVER, I did get my duty weapon (which I can only carry on duty as a reserve), qualified with it, got my duty belt and cuff/mag/holster (the rest will be issued later), and ALL of my uniforms. Well I didn't get that moronic looking little furry hat thing, but I do have my other hat . Let me say, I have a rather large head...so I was never really one wear hats and never really liked them...but I wore that sucker from Leon's Uniform Company all the way to work .

I actually get sworn in on TUESDAY *cry*

This is myspace.

NptDsp is offline Rookie
    congrats

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    So now it's Saturday, from now on your just going to get sworn at!!!

GOOD LUCK.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Congrats

Always remember patience, not everyone is going to know what your talking about when you get on scene. They do not do our job therefor you have to explain things.

Remeber to talk to other officers or friends especially when something horrific has happened that you have dealt with. I can not tell you how much LEF and PACMAN have helped me through my first year on the force.

Always remember that its your job to go home at the end of the night, remember that its either you or them and you need to win.

Never let anyone tell you that you are on routine patrol or a routine traffic stop, there is no such thing. Shit will and can hit the fan at anytime.

WEAR YOUR VEST AT ALL TIMES WHILE ON DUTY.

Also remember to scan do not get tunnel vision that will cloud your mind and confuse you more than anything.

Also do not be bothered if you get scared or are freightened, those types of things can keep you safe.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Thread Information