Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Buttercup
  • 1 Post By bayern

Thread: Animals in your area

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO

Animals in your area

Driving home, I passed the resident herd of antelope, which lives about 2 miles from my house on a large cattle ranch.

Got me thinking, what animals do you see, or live in your area, that not everyone in the country has living around them?

We have elk, pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep nearby. I haven't seen an elk up close, but I've seen antelope and bighorn sheep.

I've also seen a mountain lion while on patrol.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have a lot of geese and ducks in our back acreage. Also some deer and coyotes. Our property backs up to a major river so we have good fishing also.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Do cows count?

cow1.gif
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Badgers, deer, rabbits, foxes and squirrels. Oh and horses, sheep, cows and pigs on the farms.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    In the pest category, we have politicians... Easiest way to deal with them is to present them with real work, and they go fleeing. Even more special... we have diplomats. Ain't found a cure for them...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Coyotes and foxes are the most unusual. People hit deer here in the winter time more with cars than bullets. We also round up more loose cows and horses than a damn rodeo clown. We get our fair share of stray dogs too.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Deer and foxes in my JD. Also see turkey and the occasional wild hog running around. There used to be a honest to goodness peacock that lived down the road from my house. I have no idea how it got there, but it appeared to roam free.

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I grew up wandering around the great outdoors & have hunted/fished most of it. But I am still amazed that I've seen more fox running around in the past 2 years than I have my whole life; and they were all in town. I rarely go a shift now without seeing 1 somewhere in my beat.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    LOTS of whitetail deer, raccoon, 'possum, fox, coyote. Deer are so plentiful that the City is working with deer biologists to try to reduce the herd. They are causing a lot of damage to ornamental shrubbery.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    In my town you can see deer, coyotes, deer, cows, foxes, horses, deer, raccoons, opossum, groundhogs, deer, and geese. Oh, and black bears on occasion. Sometimes you'll see bald eagles flying around - there was a monitored nest which was unfortunately destroyed during Hurricane Sandy, but the eagles are still around.
    lewisipso likes this.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Amoung otherthings, we got a couple of democrats dopwn the road. But they stay away and don't bother no one except during election times. Just gotta put up with them. Can't eat them and won't join them
    Trojan 42 likes this.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We don't have anything interesting or fun around me.

Tons of deer (its said by some that my county has the best deer hunting in MN...but I don't care because I don't hunt), geese, ducks, foxes, tons of coyotes, lots of bald eagles hawks and owls, etc.

We also get occasional black bears. The DNR would say otherwise, but we also get occasional wolves and mountain lions coming through.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Deer, fox, coyote, opossum, armadillo, skunk, raccoon, gray squirrel, horses, cows, flying squirrel, Sherman's fox squirrel (one of my personal favorites), snakes of all kinds, gators, bobcat, wild turkey, turkey vultures, red tailed hawks, great horned owl, snapping turtles, and probably a partridge in a pear tree.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I forgot to mention the owls, possums, raccoons, and there are hundreds of eagles here.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    More wild turkeys than Carter has peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    There used to be a honest to goodness peacock that lived down the road from my house. I have no idea how it got there, but it appeared to roam free.
    I hit a peacock with the car once. You'd think such a feathery bird would be quite light in body, but it made a great thud as it flew across, and intersected with, my windscreen. One less cock on the road anyhow.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Deer, fox, coyote, opossum, armadillo, skunk, raccoon, gray squirrel, horses, cows, flying squirrel, Sherman's fox squirrel (one of my personal favorites), snakes of all kinds, gators, bobcat, wild turkey, turkey vultures, red tailed hawks, great horned owl, snapping turtles, and probably a partridge in a pear tree.
    Ducky, you forgot the odd Couger that seem to roam around the marshes and Black Bear that asre along the Codast and in the Mountains that travel along the savanah river. even here in Lexington County the bears and rear Mtn Lion are seen. It may be strange to most, but Myrtle Beach (Grand Strand)beach does have a problem with bears in the winter (off season)

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    LEO's shot a mountain lion three blocks from my house. I have live trapped a ground hog in my backyard. There are opossum, raccoon and deer. A man crossing my store's parking lot was killed by a deer.

761107356_160.jpg

edit: I did not eat the groundhog, but I did find some recipes.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Ducky, you forgot the odd Couger that seem to roam around the marshes and Black Bear that asre along the Codast and in the Mountains that travel along the savanah river. even here in Lexington County the bears and rear Mtn Lion are seen. It may be strange to most, but Myrtle Beach (Grand Strand)beach does have a problem with bears in the winter (off season)
    I was just listing off the ones I've seen around my immediate area. If I broaden it to a couple of counties we both know the list would be about fifteen times longer and more bizarre. Hunting Island state park, right on the ocean, has a horrible problem with sassy raccoons. One climbed in my car, and when we chased him off he waddled to the neighbor's campsite and deliberately bit their water hose.

Do mosquitoes count as animals? We grow them huge around here. And red velvet ants (aka cow ants).
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information