Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jenna

Thread: Pondering...

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

Pondering...

An observation or thought that came to me while at the gym today, for what it may be worth...

I don't wear earphones, carry my phone (unless I absolutely must), or otherwise retreat into myself at the gym. I'm in the minority. The vast minority. Like sometimes, the only one. (Today, there were about 3 of us.) I've seen this other places, too, like parks and playgrounds. This is my observation: We've managed to isolate ourselves more and more while we're in public, and there's an irony when you look around a restaurant or coffee shop, and realize that everyone in there is communicating -- with people who are somewhere else. We're isolating ourselves from those nearby to communicate with those who are far away...

Wouldn't talking with people not there once have been signs of a mental problem? Or witchcraft?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Wait till O/R is available on earphones....
    IMGreat101 likes this.

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    This is one reason I dont have a smart phone. I am a computer geek for sure, but I also believe in not being tethered to the interent all the time. I also work under the rule of, if you want to talk to me, don't text, you will have to call me.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    It's pretty irksome to me to go out with friends and to have some of them spending time at the table texting or using the internet. It's pretty rude in my opinion. I also agree that it is damaging social skills because people don't interact in person like they used to.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I went out to lunch with a friend of mine the other day, and let hubby know. He said Ok, have fun, text me when you get home. No big deal. My friend's spouse made it a mission to be a texting pest the entire time. It's hard to have a conversation with someone when they have to stop every two minutes to reply to a text in order to prevent marital hell.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    My cell phone is still mainly used as a phone. But I have had to learn to text more than I prefer; in order to stay in touch with my sons.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    codependency. Some people have it worse than others.
    In my store you will see children following their mother, never looking up while texting the entire time. We have customers that never interrupt their phone conversation while you are trying to help them. God forbid you walk past them to help a "non-cell-phone-person". One night out listening to live music, I sat in the balcony for a different perspective. At least one third of the people were on their smart phone the entire time. A coworker was complaining that his wife is on her smart phone constantly. I told him that probably eliminates half of the Kama Sutra.

Welcome to the new socially inept.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I went out to lunch with a friend of mine the other day, and let hubby know. He said Ok, have fun, text me when you get home. No big deal. My friend's spouse made it a mission to be a texting pest the entire time. It's hard to have a conversation with someone when they have to stop every two minutes to reply to a text in order to prevent marital hell.
    Why did they have to stop & respond?

That's one thing that gets on my nerves; the perception that people MUST stop and answer the phone or respond to a text. Depending on the circumstances, I don't answer my phone. I might be busy, I might be driving, or just might not feel like dealing with it. But I'm not a slave to the phone... I don't expect my wife to drop everything and answer, either.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information