Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By lewisipso
  • 2 Post By Police Instructor

Thread: Arm the Teachers, Custodians, and Cooks if it Will Save My Child from a Killer

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries

Arm the Teachers, Custodians, and Cooks if it Will Save My Child from a Killer

In 1997, Luke Woodum entered Pearl High School in Mississippi and started shooting. Two students were killed and seven others injured before he was stopped. Who stopped him? A principal armed with a .45 caliber handgun that he retrieved from his truck. How many others were saved that day by the principal? Do you think any parents in Pearl, Mississippi said “I only want the police to have guns in the school,” after that day? Or do they wonder how many more students would have been saved if the gun was on his hip...

Full Article at:

Arm the Teachers, the Custodians, and the Cooks if it Will Save My Child from a School Shooter | Phalanx LE - The Trainer's Toolkit
    Richard Neil
    Phalanx Law Enforcement - The Trainer's Toolkit
    www.PhalanxLE.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I happen to agree. However, unlike some, I abhor anyone possessing or attempting to utilize a firearm without proper training. It's like wearing spandex. Just because it's legal doesn't mean you should do it.
    I am in great favor of teachers, admin, and even custodians being properly armed and properly trained, concealed. If it is not mandatory for that then I am not in favor of it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    The same due diligence in way of training, would have to be done for those teachers and staff members who volunteer to serve in such a program. There have been school with successful programs like these for years. It is not a new or untested idea and training is a critical part.

One organization, The Buckeye Firearms Foundation, in Ohio offering free firearms training to teachers has received over 1,000 application from educators who are willing to take action if the worst happens...

“Based on the current 1,000+ applicants, about 60% are men and 40% are women,” BFA wrote. “More than 70% are teachers, 14% are administrators, and the balance are office staff and other employees. About 85% work in public schools and over 50% work in high schools. There’s a fairly even distribution among urban, suburban, and rural schools.”

“About 55% have moderate to extensive firearm experience, 70% have experience with handguns, and more than 40% already have a license to carry a concealed firearm. A number of these applicants are ex-military and former law enforcement.”

“Even a full SWAT team can’t guarantee absolute safety in any given school,” BFA acknowledged. “What we can guarantee is that if a school has no one on-site who can respond to an active killer threat, people are going to die until someone can respond. Dozens of people can be killed in just 5 or 10 minutes. So fast response is essential.”
    Pudge and lewisipso like this.
    Richard Neil
    Phalanx Law Enforcement - The Trainer's Toolkit
    www.PhalanxLE.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Police Instructor View Post
    “What we can guarantee is that if a school has no one on-site who can respond to an active killer threat, people are going to die until someone can respond.”
    Yeah, that.

Thread Information