Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ducky

Thread: Homeless man returns diamond ring to woman who gave it to him by accident

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Homeless man returns diamond ring to woman who gave it to him by accident

She almost never takes it off, but it was giving her a bit of a rash so she did, zipping it in her coin purse for safe keeping.Later, she absentmindedly emptied the contents of that purse into the collection cup of Billy Ray Harris, who is homeless and often stays under a bridge in Darling's hometown.It wasn't until the next day that she realized her ring was gone."It was horrible. It was such a feeling of loss," Darling said. "It meant so much to me beyond just the financial value."She went back to look for Harris, but he was gone. She returned the next day and found him."I asked him ... 'I don't know if you remember me, but I think I gave you something that's very precious to me,' and he says, 'Was it a ring? Yeah, I have it, I kept it for you,'" Darling said.
    To show their appreciation, Darling and her husband set up an online fundraiser for Harris. The donations and praise have poured in.
    So far, in about a week, more than 3,400 donations have been made, totaling nearly $95,000. The money will be given to Harris at the end of a 90-day campaign.
    Krejci met with Harris to tell him about the flood of donations and to get to know him better. They went together to make some repairs to Harris' bike."We talked about a lot of things related to my family's ring and the many donations. We talked about one day in the future the ring may one day be passed down to my daughter," Krejci wrote on the website. "We talked about how insanely positive all this has been."Harris told Krejci that he he has found a place to stay where he is "safe and sound."CNN affiliate KCTV caught up with Harris and asked him how he felt about all the attention he's attracted since returning the ring."I like it, but I don't think I deserve it," he said."What I actually feel like is, 'what has the world come to when a person who returns something that doesn't belong to him and all this happens?'" Harris said.
    Donations pour in for homeless man who returned diamond ring - CNN.com

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Has anyone noticed that people who are honest and do the right thing are making headlines? Have dishonesty and asshaberdashery become the norm to the extent that simply doing the right thing makes the news?
    Captain America likes this.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Has anyone noticed that people who are honest and do the right thing are making headlines? Have dishonesty and asshaberdashery become the norm to the extent that simply doing the right thing makes the news?
    Yes. It's no longer ordinary. People don't mow each others grass anymore. They don't try to help others or go out of their way to make somebody's day better. This is why the good is seldom ever seen.

Thread Information