Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lewisipso

Thread: "Swatting" of celebrities endanger police and waste resources

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

"Swatting" of celebrities endanger police and waste resources

What once was merely a police annoyance in Southern California — thrill-seeking pranksters filing a false report of a breaking horrific crime at celebrity’s home, designed to provoke the dispatch of SWAT teams — has turned in recent weeks into a full-blown “swatting” epidemic, drawing expressions of concerns from police officials and victims alike, and the promise of a crackdown by lawmakers in Sacramento and at Los Angeles City Hall.On Wednesday afternoon, Ryan Seacrest — who earlier that day on his radio show had aggressively challenged Mr. Brand after Mr. Brand tried to make light of his own experience — became the latest victim of a swatting prank. The Beverly Hills Police Department received a late-afternoon false report that a group of armed men was trying to break into Mr. Seacrest’s gated estate on Cabrillo Lane.The Seacrest call marked the sixth time in a week that the police had scrambled to respond to a report of violence at the home of a Page Six-worthy parade of celebrities: Sean Combs last Wednesday, Rihanna on Thursday, Justin Timberlake and Selena Gomez on Friday and Mr. Brand on Monday. Previous victims have included Justin Bieber, Tom Cruise and Miley Cyrus.Police officials said the calls typically were punctuated with alarming real-time portrayals of what was supposedly taking place inside the victim’s home. “They give a very descriptive account, all the way down to the number of victims and the people screaming,” said Sgt. Renato Moreno of the Beverly Hills police. “They paint a very horrific scene inside the house, describing a very uncontrolled scene.”The rash of hoaxes has put a strain on police departments already struggling with budget cuts. It also puts officers in danger as they race up the narrow streets in the neighborhoods where celebrities tend to live, or when they confront the armed private security forces that celebrities often hire.
    ¶ Police officials said that typically, pranksters placed a 911 call through a computer, often by hacking into someone else’s account or using a system for people with hearing disabilities, to disguise their locations. They report a crime in progress at a celebrity’s address, usually involving people armed with guns or bombs, which prompts the police to respond Code 3, with lights and sirens.

¶ The authorities said they had become more sophisticated in tracking down prank calls. “A lot of people think that if they’re on a confidential server, it won’t give away their address,” Mr. Smith said. “But if you put a search warrant in front of an Internet company, they can give you pretty much whatever information the judge tells them to.”
    There was a time when the Los Angeles police would have responded to any report of a threat on a celebrity with an all-out bells-and-whistles show of force. Last October, 42 police officers responded to a report of a man with a gun inside Mr. Kutcher’s home, backed up by a hovering helicopter and a brigade of fire trucks.Yet a familiar wariness has begun to settle in as these calls have become more common. On Monday, the Los Angeles police dispatched a solitary patrol car to Mr. Brand’s home. Steve Whitmore, a spokesman for the sheriff’s department, said his agency had become more adept at spotting hoax calls, and had scaled back responses accordingly.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/us...anted=all&_r=0

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There needs to be mandatory prison time measured in years for hoaxers.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Nah. Tag 'em with falsely summoning, and with obstruction of justice for the false report. Then hit 'em where it'll really hurt: Bill 'em. Time, materials -- and repairs/restitution for the victim.

My bigger concern with these is that as we see them come up -- we're holding back and shaping response around the fakes. Which means we may not be taking the real thing seriously.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Celebrity 'Swatter' Is 12-Year-Old Boy

What punishment do you think would be appropriate for a juvenile (or liability for oblivious parents)?
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Celebrity 'Swatter' Is 12-Year-Old Boy

What punishment do you think would be appropriate for a juvenile (or liability for oblivious parents)?
    Community service on weekends. For years. Mom and dad can pay the bill minus what junior can work off.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What would a 12yo threatening people with a loaded gun get? To me that's the action taken here, he just did it by double proxy of keyboard and police.

Something hard. GitMo would be acceptable. Letting the RIAA know about some mp3s found on his computer might be cruel. Getting to hang out with vandals on the weekend painting over graffiti lacks gravity and just doesn't sound like much of a deterrent to the next idiot. Not sure what the actual options are.

BTW, if someone does get killed in one of these, the 'swatter' gets charged with murder, right? Felony murder rule/Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Really like to see the latter gutted as it's cold war era law, but in this narrow context it wouldn't bother me.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wear the black off of a leather belt on his ass. Or a razor strap. Which ever is handier.
    Odd likes this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information