Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By conalabu
  • 1 Post By cwtlady

Thread: The why and wherefores of emergency services...

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO

The why and wherefores of emergency services...

Pudge asked me to post this here after I had posted this elsewhere. I have not been on here much, but I think all of you can relate to my thoughts here.

I had someone ask me today to explain my opinion of the background check laws that President Obama has been trying to pass today. I gave my answer and in my own typical fashion, explained without really explaining or challenging what the new act is saying. I dwelt on the idea of the why and wherefore of the law the whole day. This is the end of the day now and after a glass of wine, I have found voice to the thoughts that roam freely across the barren wasteland of my mind. ;-)

I would ask you to start by reading this:

On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman

I ask you to read the above because it gives insight to what follows...

I am a sheepdog. I can not change, I will not change, nor can I be changed. To me, I honestly do not care what laws are passed or how they are passed. I answer to a much higher law. My own moral compass. My moral compass was formed from the rules of my parents, set forth to me through long years of trial and rebellion against what I thought at the time was unjust rigor. My moral compass was formed from the Bible. Not by what different churches told me I should believe or think, but by what I saw in God's Word to be the rule and guide to my life. My moral compass was formed when I went through years of schooling where the Constitution became not just words to be read, but words to be studied. In short, my moral compass is the summation of my life thus far. That summation created the effect... or affect... that you see when anything bad happens.

This week has shown in very close and vivid encounter what a sheepdog is. We are those, no matter what uniform or lack of uniform we choose, that run in when everyone else runs out. This has nothing to do with training or weapons or duty or salary. We run in because that is what our instinct makes us do. We run in because someone has to. We run in because there is someone hurt. Someone scared. Someone in need. Granted, there are those in our family of sheepdogs who are focused on salary and glory and fame and duty. But that is not what defines us.

A sheepdog is the one that regardless of who the aggressor is, we defend. A sheepdog is the one that upholds the Constitution. The basic ground rules on which our nation was founded. A sheepdog is the one that stands up even when they are alone when they do. Do you remember the old cowboy movies with the guy in the white hat that never backs down from the bad guy? No matter the odds? That is a sheepdog. A sheep dog is the guy at the Boston Marathon this week who ran to help others even when he was unarmed. See, to a sheepdog, you can take away our weapons or our gear. That does not make us less of a sheepdog. If you put a sheepdog in the middle of chaos with nothing but a toothbrush and underwear, the sheepdog will still try to make order out of chaos. Not because we are badass... although that does help. We make order from chaos because that is intrinsic to our being. We HAVE to defend. But we are a dying breed.

Each year that continues with people losing the basic values that our prior generations had creates less sheepdogs. I had an English teacher long ago that spoke about MTV. Not the Television station. Morals, Truths, Values. Every society has them. They are the societies norms. The way we keep order. But we are losing ours more every day. We have lost our respect for heroes and in doing so, we have lost respect for each other. Sheepdogs remember. And we will continue to remember. And defend. Not because the majority will salute us or acknowledge us for our service. Not because we expect praise. Not because we expect fame.

We are sheepdogs because something has to stop that which goes bump in the night. We are sheepdogs because someone has to stand up when everyone else is scared to stand out. We are sheepdogs because it might be you that needs us to run in when everyone else has run out when you are hurt. Fear not... yet. We are still here. And we will still run in. No matter how much the majority dislikes a sheepdog having teeth, we will still be sheepdogs until the very last.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Great to see you back! Awesome post. We need more sheepdogs like you.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Wow. I was going to post something about how proud we are of police officers who have stepped up recently and taken on our worst nightmares but this post says it better of why we should be proud of our officers locally and everywhere, you have that spirit of a sheepdog and warrior. Thank you.
    conalabu likes this.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Thread Information