Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jks9199
  • 2 Post By 213th

Thread: Hofstra student shot during hostage stand off - (Public Side)

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO

Hofstra student shot during hostage stand off - (Public Side)

I'm going to post this in both the public and verified sections; there are some aspects that I suspect people may be more comfortable discussing securely -- but the general incident is worth open discussion, too.

In brief, based on the article, officers from Nassau County PD responded to a home invasion. A masked intruder, later identified as Dalton Smith, was holding Andrea Rebello in a headlock, with a gun to her head and threatening to shoot her. Smith eventually turns the gun towards the police, who fire on him. The police fire several shots, and one of them hits her in the head, killing her. There's nothing that I see as suggestive of any cover-up attempt by the police; among other things, the commissioner went in person to notify the girl's parents. Full article here

My thoughts -- there's a lot I don't know about from the article. I think the officer was faced with an incredibly challenging situation and responded in the best way he thought he could. I hope that he's receiving the public and private support from his agency and community that he deserves.
    cwtlady and IMGreat101 like this.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I feel for the officer and the girl's parents. From the basic information in the article, it sounds like a situation that I hope I never have to encounter. I imagine that officer feels incredibly terrible
    cwtlady and lewisipso like this.

Policefan1978 is offline Officer First Class
    My heart goes out tothe officer who shot the perp. Yes, he was faced with in credible odds. He is eing prayeed for that I am certain about.
    May God be with you and your families as you Protect and Serve.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    My heart goes out to the officer too. Very difficult situation for officers to face.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Thread Information