Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Oregon counties' LEO shortage prompts governor to consider legislation declaring public safety emergency and imposing temporary income tax on counties to pay for more public safety workers

Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber is considering legislation that would declare a public safety emergency in some Oregon counties where residents often have been left to try to fend for themselves. The measure would also impose a temporary income tax on residents of counties unable to pay for public safety workers due to budget cuts.
    Josephine County, where there is one sheriff and three deputies to serve 80,000 people, would be one of those affected.
    The shortage of officers and the department's limited hours led to an incident in August that helped prompt state legislators to take action, CNN affiliate KOBI reported.

A woman was assaulted by her ex-boyfriend after she called 911 and tried to get an officer at her home.
    Her call was transferred to the state police because the sheriff's department isn't staffed 24 hours a day or seven days a week, the station said. A dispatcher for the state police said, "Uh, I don't have anybody to send out there. You know, obviously, if he comes inside the residence and assaults you, can you ask him to go away?"
    On Tuesday, residents of Josephine County, shot down a measure to increase property taxes to increase funding for their depleted sheriff department, court security, animal control and juvenile justice.
    The tax levy, voted down by 539 votes, would have provided a $9.6 million yearly fund over three years.
    Oregon considers new taxes as 911 calls go unanswered - CNN.com

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How bout this solution. No New Taxes. Stop the entitlement programs and redirect that money towards basic government responsibilities such as public safety. That would more then pay for everything plus we could lower taxes.
    JLK and That Guy like this.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Oregon Counties' LEO Shortage Prompts Governor To Consider Legislation Declaring Public Safety Emergency And Imposing Temporary Income Tax On Counties To Pay For More Public Safety Workers

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    How bout this solution. No New Taxes. Stop the entitlement programs and redirect that money towards basic government responsibilities such as public safety. That would more then pay for everything plus we could lower taxes.
    There you go making sense again. With an attitude like that, you will never go far in government!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    At some point people may wish to think about becoming properly trained and properly armed. It lowers the response time.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

213th is offline Solipsist
    In the article I read, it said citizens just VOTED DOWN a tax increase specifically to cover emergency services. So now the government wants to cram it down their throats? What bullshit

213th is offline Solipsist
    Josephine County, where there is one sheriff and three deputies to serve 80,000 people, would be one of those affected.
    On Tuesday, residents of Josephine County, shot down a measure to increase property taxes to increase funding for their depleted sheriff department, court security, animal control and juvenile justice.
    The tax levy, voted down by 539 votes, would have provided a $9.6 million yearly fund over three years.
    "It would have allowed us a calm breathing room to arrive a better funding source," County Commissioner Keith Heck told CNN.
    The average increase per homeowner would have been about $200 a year, explained Heck.
    It is actually in this very article. I say again, what bullshit. Yes, I know 4 LEO's (plus I'm sure what ever SP is in the area) is very low for 80,000 people, over what I can only assume is probably a significant land area, but the residents here are saying we don't want this. I am incredibly wary of, and pretty much despise any government that will ignore the will of the people because "we (government) know what is best for you". Have I said yet what bullshit this is? As long as the voters are aware that they will get what the pay for, then why should someone else override their wishes?
    jmur5074 likes this.

Thread Information