Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pgg

Thread: Teacher fired because her school fears violence from her abusive ex-husband

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Teacher fired because her school fears violence from her abusive ex-husband

Charlesworth said the principal knew about her situation at home and that her husband abused her. Even now, Charlesworth said she fears him."I left," said Charlesworth. "I filed restraining orders. I pressed charges. I testified against him and that's what they tell you to do."Charlesworth said she thought she took proper actions in January, when she alerted the school that her ex-husband had threatened her. So when a maintenance worker spotted her ex-husband driving around campus, the school went on lockdown.
    But after the incident, she received a letter from the school stating why it made the decision to let her go. It stated that for the safety of students, the school could not allow her to continue teaching.Her ex-husband, Martin, has a 20-plus year history of violence, abuse and harassment.Charlesworth and her kids, who all attended Holy Trinity, have not been back to the school. Parents who spoke with 10News off-camera said they agreed with the school's decision to let Charlesworth go and some said they threatened to pull their children.
    10News - Carie Charlesworth, teacher fired because of abusive ex-husband tells her story - 10News.com - News

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Punish the victim. Way to set precedent an make victims even more scared to come forward.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    You know what? I can see the school's reasoning. There is clearly a LONG history of the guy being violent, and you have to weigh the student safety against the teacher's job. Many trump one...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Broke Hoss is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I "understand" the school's thought process, but disagree with it. I figger the parents threatening to pull their kids had more to do with it than anything as this sounds like a private school, to me.

I would say we need to be supporting the victim, as this battle is not over. I'd be encouraging her to use testimony of the maintainance worker to build a stalking case & get a protective order that tells the guy to stay away from her place of employment. The school should file their own civil order against the guy.

Hell, I'd be jumping at the chance to use a witness that wasn't involved; amazing what that does to strengthen your case.
    Blessed are the the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. MATT 5:10

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If he is such a danger why did the courts let him go. This is why we have such problems. People like that need to be locked up or disposed of.
    IMGreat101 and Jackrabbit26 like this.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    You know what? I can see the school's reasoning. There is clearly a LONG history of the guy being violent, and you have to weigh the student safety against the teacher's job. Many trump one...
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    If he is such a danger why did the courts let him go. This is why we have such problems. People like that need to be locked up or disposed of.
    Sorry -- there was more, but I got interrupted.

I'm not in complete agreement with the school's decision, though I also respect that as a parochial school, they didn't have some of the security options or even simple personnel options like moving her to a different school that would be available in a larger system. I'd still like to have seen them try to find other solutions, and it doesn't appear that they tried anything else. I'm going to take that with a bit of a grain of salt though; she's clearly presenting her case to the press in the best light for herself.

By the way -- the article states the ex-husband is currently in jail.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's hard enough getting victims to come out and prosecute, this sends a chilling message that their jobs are at risk now if they do.

If schools armed staff and hardened the campus they wouldn't be afraid of this guy. Schools know extra radios and locked doors are paper tigers so they are afraid of every possible nut job.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information