Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO

Wireless Router question

Ok Im sure someone knows the answer to this.
    My desktop died last week so I ordered a new laptop with a built in wireless card. I get me laptop and it recognizes the wireless but wont let me open IE. Since my desktop is in the shop I have my DSL ethernet cable ran from my DSL modem into my Router but dont have a ethernet cable run from my router to my desktop. Do I have to have my wireless router hooked up to a computer with the ethernet cable before it will work with my laptop or not?

I called tech support for my router but I couldnt understand the person in India I talked to. For what its worth, when I had my desktop hooked up I used another laptop with the same Intel Proset wireless program that my new laptop has and it worked fine. The only difference is that my wireless router was hooked up to a desktop
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

katiemh Guest
    No my laptop is the only thing I have running right now. My modem is hooked up to the router and that's it.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to start this thread?

Verified LEO
    I got my new laptop yesterday but Im having to stretch my ethernet cable across my house to plug into my laptop. Its a pain in the butt. I called tech support and they told me to call Sprint about my DSL modem but I dont understand why it worked on a desktop and a laptop and now when it wont work with this one they say its in the modem. doesnt make sense to me.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Sheriff is offline Banned
    Good luck! Wireless is a pain in the butt to get set up and running correctly. It's one of those things that's so simple, it's difficult.

I finally got all my computers on wireless, but I have no idea how I did it. Each new addition was a pain in getting the wireless router to recognize them.

And whenever I called Linksys, I got the people in India too.
    They were as totally useless in answering any questions.

Go the web site of the manufacturer of your router, and I am sure they will have a support feature online. Linksys has a nice online support section.

katiemh Guest
    Sorry, dunno. I'm going to have to reset up all my stuff next weekend probably... and I'm slightly concerned about that... because I didn't set it up the first time.

Stupid question, but you have the cable running from the modem to the WIRELESS plug in on the router, right?

What kind of router is it?
    Last edited by katiemh; 05-20-06 at 12:12 PM.

Verified LEO
    I have the cable from my dsl modem ran to the wireless router. The router has a plug for the ethernet cable from the DSL modem. Its a Belkin wireless router.

To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

katiemh Guest
    Hmm... strange.

Maybe if you put this in the General Topics some non-sworn techie might be able to help you? It can't hurt right?

Verified LEO
    Good idea moved to General Topics

To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

legirons is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff
    I finally got all my computers on wireless, but I have no idea how I did it.
    LOL, and here I thought I was the only one who had that problem!

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    You buy a "wireless" router only to open the box and find.....

"When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    So your laptop can see the networks, but you can't get on the internet? Because I just happened to set up a friend's laptop today, and the problem was that in the Proset settings the "radio" selection was not turned on, and after that it worked.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    The wireless card that came with your laptop will work. Follow this:
    Go >Start >Control Panel >Security Center > Open up firewall and disable it. The firewall with in windows xp isn't that good anyway. Not to mention when you are hooked up via a router. Your router will act as a firewall. Also are you running any internet security? If so disable it and see if that works.

If you still have trouble PM me.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer
    What he said. Also, check to make sure that, if you have the wireless security settings enabled on your router, that your laptop is using the same encrypton protocol and has the correct access password.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Sprint DSL???

My parent's had them. And unless you buy a wireless router from them, it will take a computer genious to hook up a wireless network with something they didn't provide. I worked on it for months, and couldn't get it to work. I called sprint, and all they said was "You'll need to buy one of our routers for us to give you technical support for it."

Good luck.

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Well, your going to have to wait for the mrs to get back from Ohio if you want me to help you. Shes the geek in this family, although I try my best.

If all the advice above has still not helped, i'll see what she might be able to walk you through.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

Sheriff is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531
    I called sprint, and all they said was "You'll need to buy one of our routers for us to give you technical support for it."
    Good luck.

Yeah, they buy them for $23 each by the gross, the same router Best Buy sells for $49. But they mark them up to $119.

By the way, Sprint DSL sucks where I live. Every time it rained or the wind blew hard I lost service. I switched to cable here which blows their socks off. It's blazing fast.... my computers smoke from the speed.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Bellsouth this morning because I refused to call Linksys customer support. I don't understand the banglideshi version of English that they claim to speak. Nice thing about Bellsouth is they not only speak English, they also have all the technical information for the Linksys routers.

I know that's no help at all for you, but I do feel your pain.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

kimby is offline Banned
    I think of Linksys as the anti-christ. I would give up the internet entirely before ever buying another router from that company.

Thread Information