Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Police train educators with school shooting drills

About 75 educators attended Tuesday's session, where Limerick Police Chief Bill Albany and Upper Providence Sgt. Rob Solorio gave a presentation about school shootings, answered questions (Is it better to shelter in place or run?), and dispelled some outdated notions about safety ("A cafeteria table is not cover.") After the lecture, the office staff, administrators, janitors, and some teachers participated with police officers in drills. Some were assigned to be in their offices; others were told to play students or shooting victims.
    Maren Bhalla, a college and career counselor at Spring-Ford Area High School, said the workshop was eye-opening - especially the part about not hiding under a table. "When I was a kid, that's what we were taught," she said. "We didn't even have to think about that when I was a kid," said Diane Simmoneau, a high school guidance secretary. Chief Albany told them it's better to run, hide, and fight - in that order. "The mortality rate of a gunshot wound is 30 percent," Albany said. "So if I'm boxed in a corner, I'm going to roll the dice. Seven out of 10 is not too bad."

Read more at
    With mock school shooting, police lead a lesson in safety

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You're probably better off giving the active shooter his own odds on the mortality rate of gun shot wounds with your own gun than standing in a corner throwing pencils at him.

Sent from the future with CyanogenMod.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    standing in a corner throwing pencils at him.

Sent from the future with CyanogenMod.

I see a niche in the training market.

Tactical Pencil Classes.
    Learn how and when to deploy your Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencil*.
    Learn Pencil Throwing Techniques, to include Low Light.
    Learn Close Quarter Pencil Techniques.
    Learn Concealed Carry methods.

Enrol on the Trojan Tactical Pencil Course today. This 5 day course will teach you all you need to survive. At the end of the course those that pass the final Pencil Accuracy Test will be awarded an engraved Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencil. Extra Pencils are available to purchase. Only Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencils may be used on the Course.

Course Fees are $1500 for the 5 days. This includes the use of one pencil. Further Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencils are recommended and are available to purchase at $25 each.

*Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencils (only available in Black) are the only self defence pencils trusted by the Experts.

Graduates of the course may apply for the Advanced Course, Tactical Fountain Pen.

and keep an eye out for our new Combat Ruler Course.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    I see a niche in the training market.

Tactical Pencil Classes.
    Learn how and when to deploy your Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencil*.
    Learn Pencil Throwing Techniques, to include Low Light.
    Learn Close Quarter Pencil Techniques.
    Learn Concealed Carry methods.

Enrol on the Trojan Tactical Pencil Course today. This 5 day course will teach you all you need to survive. At the end of the course those that pass the final Pencil Accuracy Test will be awarded an engraved Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencil. Extra Pencils are available to purchase. Only Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencils may be used on the Course.

Course Fees are $1500 for the 5 days. This includes the use of one pencil. Further Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencils are recommended and are available to purchase at $25 each.

*Trojan Carbon Fibre Tactical Pencils (only available in Black) are the only self defence pencils trusted by the Experts.

Graduates of the course may apply for the Advanced Course, Tactical Fountain Pen.

and keep an eye out for our new Combat Ruler Course.

This needs to be the next billion hit YouTube meme now.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I think shelter in place has its place but if you can get the kids out and away then that is what needs to be done. No way I want my kids huddled in a corner waiting to be shot
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Back in the day, didn't they teach school children and staff to hide under tables to protect themselves from nuclear fallout? I guess somethings don't change.

Our SRO has an AR-15, but he has to keep it locked up in his office. I wish he would carry it in one of those 511 tactical bags across his back so if a crazy shows up he doesn't have to say "wait a minute mr. bad guy. I need to run back to my office and unlock my gun locker." You know if some of the brain dead parents found out that he had a rifle in his office, they would be going to the school board demanding that it be banned from school property.

Each year he investigates several threats made to another student, or on Facebook, written on a note, or on a bathroom wall where some kid talks about shooting up the school. The thing is, every single one of these threats mentions the SRO. They either say that they will take the SRO out first or they will make the SRO a hero. Regardless, they know that the SRO is inside that school and is armed. Our SRO is a squared away guy, not some overweight security guard with a gun on his hip and no training. I wish all schools had SROs like this, but at least they have gun free zone laws protecting these buildings (eyes rolling).

Thread Information