Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pgg
  • 2 Post By Reca

Thread: Ohio troopers say their new shoes are safety hazards

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Ohio troopers say their new shoes are safety hazards

The footwear, a type of short boot, is in a buckle-and-strap style instead of the lace-up style many troopers prefer.They complain the shoes can cause slips and aren't secure enough when officers run after or tussle with people, The Columbus Dispatch (Ohio Highway Patrol, union go toe to toe over shoes | The Columbus Dispatch) reported Friday.They say the new style doesn't resist moisture or provide ankle-support while certain officers, such as canine handlers, can still wear the older version.Troopers are being required to begin wearing the shoes by Nov. 1, although they still can choose to wear a more rugged boot in bad weather.The Ohio State Troopers Association and several officers have filed grievances, contending the shoes create unsafe working conditions. The union also alleges patrol leadership is emphasizing appearance over safety in the choice of shoe, the newspaper said.
    Ohio Troopers Say New Shoes May Be Safety Hazards - ABC News

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds typical for a state patrol. It's all about looks and safety of their officers be damned.
    MacLean likes this.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Jim1348 is online now Rookie
    Verified LEO

Ohio Troopers Say Their New Shoes Are Safety Hazards

It is ironic that you mention how it is all about the looks for the state police/highway patrols of the United States. I could have sworn I saw Pennsylvania State Police wearing, are you ready for this and sitting down, neckties with short sleeve shirts! I thought only firefighters wore neckties with short sleeved uniform shirts.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    State agencies really seem to stuck in "That's the way we've always done it," more than most. It's insanity.

Everywhere I've been just has standards for the appearance of the footwear. It's up to you to find what works and feels comfortable.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    It is ironic that you mention how it is all about the looks for the state police/highway patrols of the United States. I could have sworn I saw Pennsylvania State Police wearing, are you ready for this and sitting down, neckties with short sleeve shirts! I thought only firefighters wore neckties with short sleeved uniform shirts.
    VSP won't put cages in their cars. PA wears their straps under their chins. It goes on.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Osp is a unique organization. I have some good friends that are troopers and there is no way I would want their job. When u sacrifice safety over appearance that is crazy. In are line of work the last thing you need is big brother watching over you like a hawk. The problem I have with big brother is that a lot of times the officer is more focused on how his department will react to the situation rather than getting the job done. This has proven to be fatal In several instances.
    Forget about that image and let the guys get the job done.

I have no problem with them wanting the troops to look good. I don't like when an officer looks sloppy either. But some troops and other departments will actually reprimand officers for something as silly as forgetting to put your hat on when you get out of your vehicle. Again I have no problem with uniform but if you stop a vehicle and things get ugly fast the last thing you should be worried about is your hat. You need to be worried about the bad guy. This is just one example.
    Pudge and narcodog like this.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    VSP won't put cages in their cars.....
    I wonder if the Michigan State Police still run a single rotating red light in the middle of the roof?

213th is offline Solipsist
    According to their Facebook page as of may 2012 they still have the hood stop sign. Not sure on the red light tho
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

213th is offline Solipsist
    And according to Michigan.gov they still have the single light but it is led now. In the article they say they get better vehicle performance....

Mobile Michigan.Gov - Michigan State Police - Assets
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have to buy our own boots. Not bitching since I can buy what I like.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Osp is a unique organization.
    State Police agencies in general are special places... I know a VSP Trooper who got written up once for losing his hat in a foot pursuit, and another time for being in a disheveled/damaged uniform when the heel of his shoe disintegrated during a chase or dog track. (I forget which...)

I know troopers from Ohio State Police, West Virginia State Police, VSP (of course), and a couple others. Lisen to all of them, and I'm glad I don't work for a state police department. Just spent a week with a trooper from VSP in a demanding ped/bike collision class, but he can't count the in-service hours since they're not from the VSP Academy.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    As long as they're black...we can wear whatever we want on our feet. Some guys wear tennis shoes, some wear work shoes, others wear boots. Personal preference.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I wear Danners on the road, and black Sketchers at the prison. I wear what's comfortable and suitable.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO

If I recall correctly, there might still be some state police/highway patrols that still wear a FULL Sam Browne belt, including the shoulder strap, for regular patrol duty. In fact, it sort of seems like there might even be one two that not only have to wear a long sleeved shirt and necktie year round, but they also have to wear a blouse (jacket) year round!

It wasn't so many years ago that I remember hearing about one that still did not have portable radios for their troopers. Everything was done on the car radio. I think the state patrol here specifies exactly what is on the gun belt and the precise order in which items are placed. Nothing extra is allowed. I think they even waited a long time until they were authorized anything like an ASP or chemical to be carried on their belt.

Please tell me that there aren't ANY state police/highway patrols that make troopers wear motorcycle boots for regular passenger vehicle patrol duty. I assume that is only for special occasions or motorcycle patrol.

I think some states took a long, long time to adopt the semi automatic pistol for patrol work. I can't think of the last time I saw a revolver in a cop's holster while in uniform, but I guess they are still around in a very few places.
    Last edited by Jim1348; 08-11-13 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Details

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I was surprised at Police Week to see the number of officers still carrying wheel guns.Around here, our uniforms run the circuit. Most city Police Departments have gone with dark blue. Some have gone with BDU's and they look ok for the first few times, then, after a few washings, they have no shape. Maybe I'm too old school, but I think a cop should look like a cop. That doesn't mean dress blues or Class A's all the time, but a cop should present a professional image. I've seen more than one cop that is wearing pants with more wrinkles than an old elephants ass, and a shirt that hasn't seen an iron since it was made. As far as footwear, my departments, (both corrections and Police), dictate black shoes or boots. As long as we buy them ourselves, we can get what we want. Same with our duty belts. Most have nylon with the equipment arranged the way they want it, and some dinosaurs, like me, wear basket weave leather. It's what I started with and what I'm used to.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Sounds typical for a state patrol. It's all about looks and safety of their officers be damned.
    Exactly.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I wonder if the Michigan State Police still run a single rotating red light in the middle of the roof?
    The bubble is still bubblicious, but they also have LEDs in the windshield and grill now Although I must say this looks kinda funny:
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information