Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Artist creates faces from DNA left in public places

er process starts with finding a sample in a public place -- a strand of hair, a cigarette butt or a chewed piece of gum -- anything that might contain cells from a person's body."You want something that is relatively fresh," she said. "Nothing that has been stepped on or that looks like it's been sitting around for ages."Dewey-Hagborg takes the sample to a community biotechnology lab in Brooklyn called Genspace. There she uses a standard DNA extraction protocol to mine the DNA, purify it and use it in polymerase chain reactions. The technical process is outlined on her blog."From a cigarette butt, I can learn where someone's ancestors likely came from, their gender, eye color, hair color, complexion, freckles, their tendency to be overweight and a handful of dimensions of the face as well with a certain likelihood," she said.Once she obtains the sequencing information, she takes the traits she's gathered from the individual's DNA and feeds it into a computer program to generate a 3-D model of a face.
    Artist creates faces from DNA left in public - CNN.com

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Neat... but kind of creepy. Though I can see some investigative uses for it...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information