Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ford introduces slower, gas-saving police car

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Ford introduces slower, gas-saving police car

Starting Wednesday, police can order a special services police sedan with a more fuel-efficient 2-liter EcoBoost engine instead of the more muscular 3.5-liter in patrol cars, as well as active grille shutters that manage the airflow for better aerodynamics.
    Certified miles-per-gallon figures are expected in December, but Ford expects the police sedan will get 20 miles per gallon in the city, 30 mpg on the highway and 23 mpg . A Taurus with a 2-liter EcoBoost engine, without the additional weight of a police package, gets 32 mpg on the highway and 22 mpg in city driving for a combined 26 mpg.

The Crown Victoria, America's most popular police car and now out of production, had a thirsty 4.6-liter V-8 and got only 14 mpg in the. city, 21 mpg on the highway and 17 mpg combined. With the new sedans with the smaller engine, there is the potential to save more than $5,000 over three years, assuming 30,000 miles per year and gas at $3.65 per gallon.
    Ford introduces slower, gas-saving police car

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just what we need. More barf to drive that admin will drool over
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    But it ain't the driving that kills a cruiser's MPG. It's the sitting and idling. I'll put anywhere from 30 to 100 miles or so on a car in a 12 hour shift, depending a lot of things. That's running about 4 to 7 gallons of gas or so. I think the average mpg is something like 9 or 10 mpg. Because we spend a whole lot of time idling, burning up gas, but going nowhere. Honestly -- if someone can make a functional hybrid set-up where we can run on battery for creeping and idling, but still have a real, powerful engine when we need speed, they'll have a great powertrain. BUT we also need trunk space, etc. that's often eaten up in hybrids by batteries.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Leave well enough alone.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    it's bad enough they are trying to shove a piece of shit car on us anyways to replace the vic. Now they want to add to their dumbassery by putting this up for grabs.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I'd be willing to give it a shot. I've heard good things about EcoBoost. As far as idling, we were just told to start turning our cars off when we're gonna be at the station, lunch etc. I guess we'll see how long the batteries last...
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Why they couldn't just cram a more fuel-efficient, MORE POWERFUL motor into the RWD CVPI still eludes me. A 4.6L V-8 pushing under 250 ponies is a little bit ridiculous in a world where V-6's are being souped to twice that. That car would have made the market for all the other stuff basically non-existent.

As for us....our PD was nice enough to put a survey out as to what we'd like to drive, after having test models of all brought in and available for everyone to drive for a week. They then ignored us, and went with the Ford Interceptor SUV (based on the Explorer CUV). Why is anyone's guess, but my money is on the Sgt. in charge of equipping the cars liking it the best. They said we needed AWD...okay, but the Charger and Taurus both have that option, and everyone I talk to voted for the Charger. Then they put in shoddy cages and equipment racks, and sub par equipment. They look sharp, but rattle like 78 Chevy Novas inside.
    lewisipso, Xiphos and pgg like this.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    A 4.6L V-8 pushing under 250 ponies is a little bit ridiculous in a world where V-6's are being souped to twice that.
    Part of that, from the engineering view is idling is hell on an engine with regular harmonics at low oil pressure. Tighter the tolerances the sooner the failures while detuned V-8s run forever. See also 1978 Novas still on the road.

Jks91999 makes a great point, and it doesn't need to be a incense stinking hippie hybrid to achieve the goal. PGG - do you ever want to go back to a diesel without a turbo? I drove those IHC engines in F350s - slow power, but ran forever. Miss them?
    pgg likes this.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Leave well enough alone.
    I notice your Athens-Clarke County police car .gif.
    Have you seen their NEWEST additions to the fleet of patrol units?

12394779.jpg12394782.jpg
    Last edited by Billy Thomas; 09-20-13 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Adding reference quote
    ______________________________ _____________________
    ______________________________ _ ~Support K9 Search and Rescue........GET LOST!!~

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Heh. Good thing that's just an avatar. Lol.
    Billy Thomas likes this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Part of that, from the engineering view is idling is hell on an engine with regular harmonics at low oil pressure. Tighter the tolerances the sooner the failures while detuned V-8s run forever. See also 1978 Novas still on the road.

Jks91999 makes a great point, and it doesn't need to be a incense stinking hippie hybrid to achieve the goal. PGG - do you ever want to go back to a diesel without a turbo? I drove those IHC engines in F350s - slow power, but ran forever. Miss them?
    Yes. I still have one with over 500k miles on it

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    We got 2 new 2013 Chargers. One guy's AM/FM radio audio cuts off when he hits the brakes (may have happened during equipment install - worked before then). He also has a random check engine light. The other car has the whole door handle assembly pop out if the officer pulls on it when trying to get out of the car. He pushes on one side of the handle while pulling on the larger portion to get the door open. Dodge said they could super glue it for him?? They are sharp looking and fast cars though. Another city near us uses the new Taurus and it just looks strange. Ive not driven one yet.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama512 View Post
    Another city near us uses the new Taurus and it just looks strange. Ive not driven one yet.
    I wouldn't waste your time. My agency just bought a fleet of them. I am hopeful that we get something else next year.
    The front doors only open about 30 degrees. Makes it difficult for you to get in and out of. And the built in console, to my mind, is a safety concern. If you are over 5'08" and 180 wearing a full kit, and you get t'boned, come under fire, or otherwise need to evacuate on the passenger side, you will NOT be able to get to the passenger seat! It simply is not possible with the interior design and the size and height of the console.
    ______________________________ _ ~Support K9 Search and Rescue........GET LOST!!~

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    we have been getting chargers to replace the vics. We are NOT happy with them so far and are looking at other vehicles now. We are supposed to get 8 more vehicles this year and the charger isn't even being considered anymore. we are looking at the explorer or tahoe now

Verified LEO
    My personal favorite that we have is the Interceptor SUV. Second is my crusty old Vic, which I now have the only one left in the dept except for the K9 car. Third is the Charger, it just looks cool. Fourth is the Interceptor Sedan. I refuse to rank the Impala...lol
    ΑΦΣ

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I'm assigned to one of our last Crown Vics. It has 133000 miles on it so it is next on the list to be replaced. I will miss it.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit26 View Post
    I'm assigned to one of our last Crown Vics. It has 133000 miles on it so it is next on the list to be replaced. I will miss it.
    Mine has about 87,000 and is likely to go next year.
    ΑΦΣ

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have some Vics that are creeping up on 200,000.
    Billy Thomas likes this.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    We have some Vics that are creeping up on 200,000.
    photo.JPG

Mine is about to be the third in our fleet to hit a quarter million

Verified LEO
    Wow, and I thought the one we just retired a couple of months ago with 145,000 was bad...
    ΑΦΣ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information