Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Police get military vehicles

The Dallas County Sheriff’s Office traveled to Fort Hood this month to acquire its own bona fide military vehicle – the International MaxxPro MRAP tactical vehicle -- courtesy of a Department of Defense surplus program.According to The Dallas Observer, the sheriff’s office obtained the 19-ton, diesel-operated behemoth with bullet-proof doors and tires, designed by Navistar Defense. “The MaxxPro MRAP is built to withstand ballistic arms fire, mine blasts, IEDs, and other emerging threats,” according to the Navistar website. “Its V-shaped hull helps deflect blasts out and away from the crew and its armoring can be customized to meet any mission requirement.”The specific vehicle obtained by the Dallas sheriff’s office was never used overseas and claims only about 10,000 miles of use, but other similar vehicles were reportedly employed by the military in war zones, and specifically to withstand roadside IEDs, or improvised explosive devices.The Observer writes the sheriff’s office will now use it to serve warrants on wanted men. “Having a tactical vehicle will not only provide warrants execution with the equipment to assist in performing their jobs, but will provide an overall safety arch," Chief Deputy Marlin Suell reportedly wrote to county commissioners in informing them of the acquisition.The vehicle costs about $600,000, but the county obtained it solely for the cost of transporting it from Fort Hood.
    US police obtaining military vehicles to aid hunt for criminals | Fox News

Jim1348 is online now Rookie
    Verified LEO

Police Get Military Vehicles

I suspect that these are 24 volt electrical systems. Do most agencies convert them to 12 volts? I would imagine that would be the way to go unless some places use inverters for accessories and that would be nuisance.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I want one
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    We will probably see more and more of this. Now that we are done in Iraq and we are suppose to be pulling out of Afghanistan soon, there will be more and more pieces of military equipment sitting in surplus.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I suspect that these are 24 volt electrical systems. Do most agencies convert them to 12 volts? I would imagine that would be the way to go unless some places use inverters for accessories and that would be nuisance.
    That and its a 19 ton MRAP. It sounds impractical, aside from the price being right, what is the point? Especially the one for the campus PD. Seems like it would be a major pain in the ass to own.

On the other hand...I want one. So if I was buying on someone else's dime I'd buy one LOL
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I wonder if that agency would be able to sell the thing in order to buy a more practical ERU team vehicle, like a Bearcat? I'm guessing they have to keep it or they have to give it back.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have been informed our Tac Team will have one soon. I've never seen one aside from photos so I'll with hold comment until it gets here.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit26 View Post
    I wonder if that agency would be able to sell the thing in order to buy a more practical ERU team vehicle, like a Bearcat? I'm guessing they have to keep it or they have to give it back.
    The article said they got it for the cost of transporting it. Seems to be some sort of a deal to me. Standard drmo procedure is to auction it and to try to get the most money they can for it.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit26 View Post
    The article said they got it for the cost of transporting it. Seems to be some sort of a deal to me. Standard drmo procedure is to auction it and to try to get the most money they can for it.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    These look like fairly normal acquisitions under the DRMO 1033 program. Departments can save a lot of taxpayer money by receiving surplus. It may not be the ideal equipment, but the department can probably refit it to better suit their needs for a lower total investment than if they purchased a new Bearcat or whatever the case may be. A department with little financing may only have a simple choice of no SWAT vehicle or a surplus MRAP. I am personally of the belief that it is better to have and not need, than need and not have! I believe there are also stipulations that the equipment is still "owned" by the federal government and it must be returned in its original condition upon demand.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    my guess is the 1033 program as well. We used it alot at my old agency
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    These look like fairly normal acquisitions under the DRMO 1033 program. Departments can save a lot of taxpayer money by receiving surplus. It may not be the ideal equipment, but the department can probably refit it to better suit their needs for a lower total investment than if they purchased a new Bearcat or whatever the case may be. A department with little financing may only have a simple choice of no SWAT vehicle or a surplus MRAP. I am personally of the belief that it is better to have and not need, than need and not have! I believe there are also stipulations that the equipment is still "owned" by the federal government and it must be returned in its original condition upon demand.
    Plus you get to bomb around in a MRAP when you are training. Those things are beasts! And if someone arrived to serve a warrant in one of those I'd be pissing myself I'm sure.

Thread Information