Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark7
  • 1 Post By That Guy

Thread: Durable boots

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Durable boots

Ok guys, I need some advice. Mr Ducky goes through a pair of steel toed boots every four to five months, mainly just from walking at work. He wears through the soles, the seams come apart, the insoles disintegrate, etc. Admittedly, these are the $40 - $50 ones from Walmart, but he's been reluctant to spend more if the result will be the same. Can you guys recommend a good brand? They have to be steel toed, beyond that he is pretty open on style. Most all of the wear comes from straight up walking and being in the elements, mainly water, so maybe a water resistant feature would be a good idea?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Durable Boots

My advice might fly in the face of some others that follow, but it is pretty simple. Have him try Danners and Red Wings. Once he decides what he likes, buy TWO pairs at the same time. Then mark them somehow. Use a Sharpie or lace in American flag or whatever. Make one pair Pair 1 and the other Pair 2. Then have alternate. So, for example, he would wear Pair # 1 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Pair # 2 on Tuesday and Thursday. An old, experienced shoe repairman told me years ago that the reason some footwear falls apart is because it doesn't get a chance to dry out after being worn. Wearing each pair every other day will give them a chance to dry out. Neither the Danners nor the Red Wings will be anywhere near as cheap as those at Wal-Mart, either in price or quality, but they should last much longer.

In fact, if he wants, perhaps he should get one pair of Danners and one pair of Red Wings and alternate wearing each pair, and after a few months he can decide if he is brand loyal to either one for future purchases!

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I used to go through pair after pair of cheap boots. Three years ago I shelled out the $250.00 for a pair of Danner Boots and they are still going strong. Danner makes all kinds of boots and when they do finally wear down you can send them in to be refurbished. They basically make your old boots like new again for 1/3 the cost.

Mark7 is online now Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I'll add my voice to the Danner chorus. Just make certain that those Danners are US made. At Danner's main website you can filter the search for boots by choosing "features" the select "Made in U.S.A.

You can also get some great deals on Danner factory seconds at hitthebreakroom.com. I bought a pair of tan Rivot 8" for 1/3 the price last year and have yet to locate the defect that made them "seconds."

If steel toe isn't a mandate I'd be looking Merrell- thee MOST comfortable/ lightweight boot I've ever had on my foot.
    Jackrabbit26 likes this.
    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Danners thread. Stupid auto correct. My apologies Ducky.
    Ducky likes this.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Canned thread? I don't follow.

Steel toed is more of a safety issue with him, he works with heavy stuff (and equipment) and steel toes have saved his feet from being crushed more than once.

How are Danners on sizing? True to size or do they run large or small? Wide or narrow?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ill also recommend Danners. I'm getting ready to put my 4th sole on my original pair.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Danners are true to size per my experience. Just allow a break in period. They form to your feet and in my case they formed to my feet wearing lace up ankle braces.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Canned thread? I don't follow.
    Another thread about boots and everyone loving on Danner. They are very good and the response is very predictable. I think we've discussed it on the verified side ad nauseum. Nothing you did was wrong or bad.

Sent from the future with CyanogenMod.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    My advice might fly in the face of some others that follow, but it is pretty simple. Have him try Danners and Red Wings. Once he decides what he likes, buy TWO pairs at the same time. Then mark them somehow. Use a Sharpie or lace in American flag or whatever. Make one pair Pair 1 and the other Pair 2. Then have alternate. So, for example, he would wear Pair # 1 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Pair # 2 on Tuesday and Thursday. An old, experienced shoe repairman told me years ago that the reason some footwear falls apart is because it doesn't get a chance to dry out after being worn. Wearing each pair every other day will give them a chance to dry out. Neither the Danners nor the Red Wings will be anywhere near as cheap as those at Wal-Mart, either in price or quality, but they should last much longer.

In fact, if he wants, perhaps he should get one pair of Danners and one pair of Red Wings and alternate wearing each pair, and after a few months he can decide if he is brand loyal to either one for future purchases!
    Rotating footwear is very good advice.

From your description of the problems, he may want to look for a pair that can be resoled. Insoles can be replaced; I assume when I buy boots I'll need to replace the insole immediately. Very high end (Danner price range) may not need an immediate replacement... but I'm currently wearing a pair of Bates, and did need to replace the insoles.

You may want to go to a good boot store, and discuss the issues with the sales staff. Hopefully, a knowledgeable sales staff...

I have been quite impressed with the Bates boots -- and their customer service. When the first pair I bought developed a problem, they replaced them without a question.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Nothing you did was wrong or bad.
    Well, not that YOU know of.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Rotating footwear is very good advice.

From your description of the problems, he may want to look for a pair that can be resoled. Insoles can be replaced; I assume when I buy boots I'll need to replace the insole immediately. Very high end (Danner price range) may not need an immediate replacement... but I'm currently wearing a pair of Bates, and did need to replace the insoles.

You may want to go to a good boot store, and discuss the issues with the sales staff. Hopefully, a knowledgeable sales staff...

I have been quite impressed with the Bates boots -- and their customer service. When the first pair I bought developed a problem, they replaced them without a question.
    The insoles last him last longer than the soles do, but he is starting to develop arch issues from how little cushioning they have. The outer soles are the big problem, they wear out, wear through, crack, separate from the upper, and I think just plain give up, typically within three months. He walks a LOT. Easily a few miles per day. We have a Red Wing dealer in town, but never having bought shoes of this caliber before I wasn't sure if it was a good way to go.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    http://new.shoebuy.com/dr-martens-22...ne-_-{keyword}

Those are some of the toughest, most comfortable work boots I have ever worn.

I also had a pair of Redwings that lasted me about 8 years of hunting and general outdoor wear. I took care of them and had them resoled once.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    The insoles last him last longer than the soles do, but he is starting to develop arch issues from how little cushioning they have. The outer soles are the big problem, they wear out, wear through, crack, separate from the upper, and I think just plain give up, typically within three months. He walks a LOT. Easily a few miles per day. We have a Red Wing dealer in town, but never having bought shoes of this caliber before I wasn't sure if it was a good way to go.
    Take care of your feet -- especially if you're on them a lot. Foot trouble and back trouble will make you miserable -- and they go hand in hand. Get good insoles, and replace them frequently. Today, you can easily get extra support, more or less cushion... lots beyond the simple odor blocker of old.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    I'll vote for Red Wing and Danners along with everyone else. I will add a local product made in Eastern Washington - White's Boots, Hunting Boots, Pac Boots, Work Boots, Outdoor Clothing. White is near the top in quality custom boots.

With any boot, look at the materials used and where they are made!! Avoid China, Mexico, and I'll leave DocMaartens to your decision, never found the Doc M. boots to fit well. REI is a yuppie store in Seattle and has some high end very expensive boots. REI puts "trendy" before durability, and they ask ridiculous prices for everything including Chinese junk.

Ask a paratrooper where they buy their custom jump boots. Some high-end boots require expert fitting and the price you pay is worth it. The WalMart or Big-5 footwear is mostly a Chinese tennis shoe with higher top and more lacing.

Try a pair of new military flight boots. I wore mine out, sizing is good and consistent, they are very comfy. The flight boots will have a soft leather lining and steel toe and have a zig-zag rib sole and do not pick up mud like waffle soles. You can find the military boots at off-base uniform stores or at your nearby friendly NAS or AFB. Unlined military boots are not flight boots.

Your local boot shop can recommend quality boots that are not repaired often and are constructed of quality materials.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Thread Information