Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Cops commit suicide more often than being killed in the line of duty.

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • True, and the remark comes from a real cop.

29 56.86%
  • False, and the remark comes from a real cop.

12 23.53%
  • True, and it's a civilian making the remark most likely.

5 9.80%
  • False, and it's a civilian making the remark most likely.

5 9.80%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suicide

Sheriff is offline Banned

Suicide

This was posted on another web site I visit occasionally. It was posted by a person claiming to be a real police officer......

As you may know as a veteran, people in this line of work commit suicide more often than they get killed at work. I believe it comes from a combination of the hours, pay, work conditions and such, but to a much greater extent I think it comes from the willingness of civilians to bash, criticize, second guess, etc anything a cop does.
    How many people here agree with this remark?

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I have absolutely no idea if that's true or not. I''d guess Not true.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I agree with it, we have more suicides in this field than we do officers killed in the line of duty.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

nitestokker is offline Banned

Talking

When I was in college a long time ago, I did a paper on the effects of stress on a cop. My research found that law enforcement had the highest rate of divorce, alcohol abuse and suicide of any profession in the US. Don't know if that's still true though. Of course I was not always sober in college and the research could have been flawed because I was busy looking for my first ex-wife and listening to "Sister Christian" with my .357 in my mouth.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker
    When I was in college a long time ago, I did a paper on the effects of stress on a cop. My research found that law enforcement had the highest rate of divorce, alcohol abuse and suicide of any profession in the US. Don't know if that's still true though. Of course I was not always sober in college and the research could have been flawed because I was busy looking for my first ex-wife and listening to "Sister Christian" with my .357 in my mouth.

There's a winner. Man, I thought I was the only one in college doing that.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for the point.

GarcoDeputy is offline Officer First Class
    We go through stress training in our Department and the shrink that comes in to talk to us tells us that Cops have the highest Suicide rates. Then Dentists are second behind us.
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
    Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Honeypot is offline Officer First Class
    I have found a website....

www.psf.org

Down the left-hand side there is a section entitled "Newspaper Articles, TV & Radio"... at the bottom of this page is a table, showing statistics from 1985-1999... relating to suicide in Law Enforcement. It's quite a disturbing read.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    During my tenure, we had 6 cops commit suicide. During that same time, five were killed on duty. And two of those were automobile accidents where the officers were driving like bats out of hell. Three were shot and killed.

To be fair, the suicide rate has gone down the last 15 years because the stigma of getting counseling has gone down somewhat. My first 15 years on, it was unheard of for a cop to ask for help with personal problems. Now it's encouraged. Also anyone involved in a deadly force situation is required to get a minimum of 4 sessions with a psychologist specially training in post traumatic situations.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

TheeBadOne is offline Why so serious?
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    the stigma of getting counseling has gone down somewhat. My first 15 years on, it was unheard of for a cop to ask for help with personal problems. Now it's encouraged. Also anyone involved in a deadly force situation is required to get a minimum of 4 sessions with a psychologist specially training in post traumatic situations.
    "When I'm driving along and I see a sign that says, CAUTION: SMALL CHILDREN AHEAD,
    I slow down, and then it occurs to me, I'm not afraid of small children"!

According to the best statistics or breakdown I have seen so far for 2005, 163 died in 2005 (that's higher than reported anywhere else). There is no statistic listed for suicide, even though it is an occupational hazard and what I would consider a "line of duty" death. According to the vote here so far, the real death toll would be twice as much? 320 to 350 in 2005?

http://www.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41588

CAUSE OF DEATH

Shootings-
    12 officers died during domestic violence calls
    7 officers died answering robbery calls
    3 officers died in an ambush
    3 officers died serving warrants
    14 officers died during a traffic stop
    6 officers were shot accidentally
    6 officers were shot by suspect with their own gun
    2 officers died of accidental self inflicted
    64 officers in total died by gunfire

Motor Vehicle-
    15 officers died when they lost control of vehicle
    19 officers died in auto accidents involving someone else
    4 officers died due to road conditions
    11 officers died being ran over by a vehicle
    4 officers died while laying stop sticks
    4 officers died because of a drunk driver
    4 officers died in motorcycle accidents
    66 officers in total died from motor vehicle accidents

Heart Attack-
    3 officers died of heart attacks during training
    3 officers died of heart attacks during an assault
    4 officers died of heart attacks assisting another officer
    4 officers died of heart attac ks during a foot pursuit
    14 officers in total died of heart attacks

Other-
    1 officer died of drowning
    4 officers died in helicopter accidents
    1 officer died in an airplane accident
    1 officer died in an atv accident
    1 officer died being struck by a train
    3 officers died falling off bridges
    1 officer died of a stabbing
    1 officer died of hepatitis C
    2 officers died from cancer
    1 officer died from drinking too much water
    3 officers died of mortar attack in war in Iraq

If you have been doing this job for any amount of time, no matter where you work or what size agency. The "vices" in this job will eventually get to you and the devil will be on your back waiting for you to fall. So when you start to think you have seen to much for your soul to bare and you start to give in to all that makes us weak, fight back as if your life depends on because it really does. Use every resource you can find and never be shy or embarrassed by how your feeling. Its hard enough to get through each day with everyone against us, we need not fall by are own hand. Get help and remember there are people there for you.

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    When I was in training we had a lecture by one of the force's psychologists who told us that within the last decade the number of suicides and health issues regarding police officers has dropped significantly below the civilian populations. Though, I can't say anything about divorce rates!

What he said, is that new hiring practices (physical standards and pysc testing) and an emphasis healthy lifestyles and employee assistance programs, have greatly reduced suicide and death rates (accidents and murders not included)

On average RCMP members kill themselves less often and live longer than the general public.

But I have no idea if our suicide rate is higher or lower than accidental or homicide rates. We haven't been so lucky in the past couple years.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff
    According to the best statistics or breakdown I have seen so far for 2005, 163 died in 2005 (that's higher than reported anywhere else). There is no statistic listed for suicide, even though it is an occupational hazard and what I would consider a "line of duty" death. According to the vote here so far, the real death toll would be twice as much? 320 to 350 in 2005?

1 officer died from drinking too much water
    You got this from O.com? An article or did someone post it? I'm pretty suspicious of most stuff I've read there. Which is why I quit that forum some time ago, too much bullshit.

Several of the deaths involving auto wrecks here involved other cars, but that doesn't mean the civilian was at fault. Most of the officers I know that died from a car crash had a reputation for being lead footed and reckless. Not all, of course, but most were driving over their abilities and the conditions. That's not saying it shouldn't be considered on duty and given all the rights thereof, but it would be misleading to assume the civilian driver caused the death in all cases.

Dying from drinking too much water considered a line of duty death?

People act like being a cop is the most dangerous job in the world and it's not, it's down a ways on the list. I've had my share of scrapes and scares, but a good friend of mine works high steel as an iron worker. More of his collegues are killed on an annual basis than cops are. There ain't enough money in the world to get me up there, much less make me walk around and do work! Stats show that being a bicycle messenger in a major city is one of the most hazardous jobs in the world and I believe it.

A lot of the suicides I know of on my dept involved alcohol abuse. Guys were alcoholic and couldn't stop drinking. And didn't want to ask for help. I think the job used to lure more alcoholic personalities than it does today. Maybe better screening is what's doing it, but when I came on there were a lot of drunks on the dept. I added one more! Although I'm not necessarily choked up about the college educated, no experience in the real world rookies we started getting, they did do a better job of weeding out the alcoholics, I think. And, as I said, made it easier for them to get help w/o getting into trouble.
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 05-22-06 at 05:53 PM.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Dying from drinking too much water considered a line of duty death?
    I believe in that case the officer was in mountain bike training, where they were pushed to drink water all day long. He drank something like a gallon or more of water, to the point where it was lethal. Had he not been training, he wouldn't have been in that situation, so I'd say it's legit.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    I believe in that case the officer was in mountain bike training, where they were pushed to drink water all day long. He drank something like a gallon or more of water, to the point where it was lethal. Had he not been training, he wouldn't have been in that situation, so I'd say it's legit.
    I would think you're own body would tell you ENOUGH. Probably legit, but not too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Correct. The officer was up in the DC area somewhere. In training.

Drinking too much water too quickly is very easy to do on a hot summer day. You think you're sweating it off as fast as you drink it, but it doesn't work that way.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I would think you're own body would tell you ENOUGH. Probably legit, but not too bright.
    While I usually agree with a lot of things you say, I think that's being a bit unfair. But that's my opinion, you're welcome to yours

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTim
    Its hard enough to get through each day with everyone against us, we need not fall by are own hand.
    Please remember, my friend, that not everyone is against you.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTim
    Get help and remember there are people there for you.
    Yep, and some of them don't wear a uniform.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information