Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Mandatory retirement age for policemen and firemen?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll

2 16.67%

4 33.33%

2 16.67%

4 33.33%

Thread: Age

Sheriff is offline Banned

At what age should a policeman or fireman face
    mandatory retirement, whether they want to go
    or not?

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Depends on their job. We've had some damn good captains work until they were in their 60's. Personally, I think anyone who works the street as a patrol officer past 50 is insane though.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

nitestokker is offline Banned
    I feel that administration should be able to work as long as their mind is capable of it, no matter what the age but keep them off the street. Street cops should not work beyond their physical abilities. I personally do not want my life in the hands of a 300 pound chain smoking slob who doesn't even get out of his car to piss. Don't laugh...used to work with a guy who would piss in a pop bottle and throw it out the window. This should be a major part of yearly performance evaluations. Performance evals should be conducted by non-partisan folks without an iron in the fire, NOT by drinking buddies or someone who just "tweaks" the results to keep the machine rolling..............Call me crazy.

Sheriff is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Depends on their job. We've had some damn good captains work until they were in their 60's. Personally, I think anyone who works the street as a patrol officer past 50 is insane though.
    Some have to because of their employer's retirement plans.
    Plus they never kissed enough butt to be in a "gravy train"
    job by age 50 like most do.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    You are gone at 57 here. Forced retirement.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Alot depends on the job they are in most recognise that they might have to or want to take it easier as the years go by.
    Chasing guys out at 50 or 55 is insane on the part of the chiefs these guys have so much street experience and experience of investigation and the like that just can't be taught in needs to be passed on by working with the newer guys, I've lost count of the times some one with 20+ years in has just known what to do without having to think about it, they still get their man not by strenght by guile.

As an aside there are loads of none conflict roles in investigations, inspections, administration and supervison to keep these guys busy and retain that knowledge.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I think it should be done with performance......just like regular PT evaluations as most the agencies do here, age is just a number.......some much younger aren't "fit" to do the job as well
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff
    Some have to because of their employer's retirement plans.
    Plus they never kissed enough butt to be in a "gravy train"
    job by age 50 like most do.
    I gotta tell ya that the retirement plan was one of the big draws to me. I liked the idea of being able to retire at an age where I could still enjoy it. In fact, I reminded myself of that more than a few times when I was out freezing my ass off at a crime scene. I wouldn't have stayed on the job if I had to work until I was 60 or better. The job was fun, but not that much fun.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I aretired in 2003 at age 65 1/2. I came back to work 15 days later part time, which since became fulltime. What I mean is I get paid by the hour, so I work about 40 hrs a week, some times more depending what is up. When we are busy with special events, etc, I work more. As long as I am physically capable (any my wife doesn't throw me out with the trash) I'll hand around for at least another year. They treat me good and I give them full measure of my time. I normally take about a month off every year to do some traveling any the extra money pays for it. Am I nuts?, mayby so, but I know so many individuals who retire and then vegatate. Retirement is in the mind.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern
    Retirement is in the mind.
    True, and I love it. I like being able to go fishing whenever I get a mind to and not have to ask some 30 year old if I can. It's not like I can't fill my time, I just do the next thing I think of.

As far as money goes, I keep telling these guys to invest at least half the OT they make and not blow it all on toys. By having done that, I have more disposable money now than I've ever had in my life. A lot of guys that I worked with who did blow all their money when they were working are now HAVING to work jobs after retirement in order to afford to do the things they want. Glad I don't have to.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I say 65. It's 63 here in Chicago. I think that the older guys with the experience should work the desk, and get these little bitches that get the same pay as the rest of us do out from behid the desk and out of the other office jobs. Granted, some of these morons that work the desk or in the offices, need to be in there.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

T202 is offline Rookie
    I retired at 51 after 25 years. Dept use to have a mandatory retirement at 56 but they have since done away with it. I have seen officers at 55 that were in excellent physical condition and could still hold their own and officers at 30 that shouldn't even be there.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    One of the best instructors I had in the academy was over 60, still a street officer. Only thing different was he let the young guys chase people on foot. He had a wealth of knowledge, and it would be a shame to dump him out simply because of his age.

Thread Information