Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    StanSwitek is offline Corporal

Your Favorite Job

OK, we have a worst job thread going. What was your favorite job, paid or volunteer. I'll go first:

1. Police helicopter pilot - promoting was a big mistake, had to leave the detail.

2. Batting practice pitcher for a minor league professional baseball team coached by a former world series MVP.

3. Call screener for The Greaseman radio show.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I would have to say Being a Father No better job in the world. the Second would have to be being on the SRT team. Nothing like the rush you get when activated!

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSwitek
    OK, we have a worst job thread going. What was your favorite job, paid or volunteer. I'll go first:
    I'll go second (if someone doesn't beat me to it... like Reca)...

While I have held down only two jobs in my lifetime (I carhopped for a Sonic Drive-In in HS and I was a telephone representative on and off for for about 15 years), my best job IS (I'm still going strong) being a wife and mother. Without a doubt, it's the toughtest, but it's also the best and most rewarding! Oh, yeah, I volunteer for our local hospice and I'm working on my AA in Human Services, Addictive Studies (future job).

Okay, who's next...
    Last edited by Crimebytes2; 06-02-06 at 11:17 AM.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Being a dad is first and foremost, the second is the Marines and the third is the police department.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I don't consider being a dad a job, it's a joy. As far as jobs go, being a cop is hands down the best job I have ever had. Second would be when I was an Army Paratrooper. Made 40 jumps and there is no rush like it in the world!
    I sometimes think back to that time and can't believe I had the guts to do that.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Being in the Firearms Unit as an Instructor was the best Long Term job.
    Spending 6 weeks in Brazil training the Federal Police in Close Protection was probably the best Short term job. (Copacabana Palace Hotel was quite nice. )
    Actually, when I think back, there wasn't much I didn't enjoy about the Job. My only regret was not taking Promotion, as the pension would be worth more now.

And I agree with Beans, being a Dad's not a job! I mean, you can't take a day off or retire.
    Last edited by Trojan 42; 06-02-06 at 11:36 AM.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    investigator.......hopefully will get this new opening, lol came to this office for investigations......was always an investigator before comeing to this one....
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    I love traffic enforcement I think it been the best job so far.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dlocke1419
    I love traffic enforcement I think it been the best job so far.
    Traffic Enforcement??? You need to get out more.

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by beans43
    I don't consider being a dad a job, it's a joy. As far as jobs go, being a cop is hands down the best job I have ever had. Second would be when I was an Army Paratrooper. Made 40 jumps and there is no rush like it in the world!
    I sometimes think back to that time and can't believe I had the guts to do that.

I think being a Father does classify as a job and the pay is great!

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca
    Ok, you got me there, well put.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I dunno, I consider my daughters a gift. Although the teenage years were a bit a job, I admit.

I had several jobs on the dept that were great, but I guess I'm too ADD, I got tired of all of them and moved on.

I started working our ghetto right after the major riots and we were still having mini riots about every night. I loved the adrenaline rush. Every night we got a call on a shooting or stabbing. But after about 5 years, I suddenly hated it and thought I might kill the next person that called me a white mutha fuckin' pig. Up until then it just rolled off my back.

Then I worked a white version of the same. The only mini riots were in the parking lots of bars and taverns when fights spilled out on the streets. Same thing, a lot of fun for a few years and then started getting old fast.

I started taking tests and made detective and worked sex crimes for several years, same thing loved it and then one day hated it. Made Sgt., stayed there, went to drugs and set up our clandestine lab investigation unit. Fought the city tooth and nail to get safety equipment for several years, finally won. But unfortunatley, several of my guys ended up with cancer and I had emphysema from the exposures prior to getting the stuff.....

I forgot, I was sent to out to communications for a couple of months when I left dope. It was screaming and clawing that got me out of there so quick. That assignment sucked from day one.

Then I was assigned a newly created position with Childrens Services Division as a liason. I had my desk at their office and worked with them to create a system that better helped each other in protecting kids. I got the idea and set up a program that dispatched CPS workers with cops to child abuse calls. With both responding, the CPS worker could take the child into custody if necessary and save the officer from carting them around to a foster home. The CPS worker could work to find relative placement rather than fill up already stuffed foster homes. Also the worker could see the situation first hand and not have to rely on the officer's report to know the circumstances. That program was expanded statewide after a few months. I'm kinda proud of that. Then I got bored again.

I went to homicide and worked there several years. I had quite a few homicides, but had two high profile, in the damn news all the time homicides that took up all my time. They burned me out in there. I finished my career as the only person assigned to hate crimes. Not a bad job, worked there three years and then retired the day I called the chief of police (Charles Moose of DC sniper fame) a sniveling sodomizer of men (not those exact words).

Sorry for the long post, but I guess I had a lot of favorite jobs that I was able to learn to hate....
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 06-02-06 at 04:09 PM.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

doobiej is offline It just pays for beer money with dead goats
    My current job.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    I would have to say that my favorite job is working patrol.

2nd favorite was bike patrol. I loved it. Good public relations and had fun at it too.

3rd favorite would be my job as a SRO. I loved it in the beginning, but with the admin change at the school and then the admin change coming up at the SO, I would rather be back on patrol!
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    hands on job interviewer for "Hooters", wait that was just a dream never mind.
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO

It's not a job...it's an adventure!
    Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    In LE...

1. Auto theft
    2. M/C patrol
    3. Narcotics

Civilian jobs...

1. Drove trucks (part time to make ends meet as a new LEO)
    2. Hot Shot (Fire crew during the summer while in college)
    3. Can't remember any others I liked...
    Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

AGalCop is offline Between Rookie and Ol' Timer
    Being a volunteer at a Christian Camp. We worked hard but I enjoyed every moment of it. Up in the pine trees, next to a beautiful lake......closest thing to heaven for me......

Verified LEO
    OK, it may be a job, but pay??
    My sons are 29 and 25 and I'm still giving them money for various reasons. From University fees, to Uniforms (2000) for the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, even his sword cost me 775!!

Still, as they keep reminding me, They choose the Home I'm put in eventually.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Working for the PD in my current non-sworn position is my favorite job so far.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information