Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO

Different 10 codes

I have read several posts where someone has said "I went on a 10-41"etc.I have learned over time that 10 codes are "GARBAGE",because they are not universal.Some are universal (10-4///etc), .
    What I want to do with this post,with only the interest of everyone undestanding eveyone else, is I will randomly throw out a 10 code,and you respond with what it means in your dept
    10-18-Complete last assignment as fast as possible (haul ass/heavy code 3)
    My previous dept. 10-18 meant return for additional information.BIG difference.Anyone care to contribute.??
    ]

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    We use a mix of 10- codes and plain talk. Mostly plain language.

The only 10 codes my department used when I rode with them all the time for explorers was like two, one meant, I'm eating leave me the hell alone and the other was for I'm stuck at the rest stop taking a number 2 cuz I couldn't make it back to the department. I'm serious too. lol
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    The 10-18 here in Ottawa is "Complete assignment quickly"
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    That's why FEMA and other agencies are pushing for more plain language on radios, so radio traffic doesn't cause mega confusion.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    10-18 is not used here. It's pretty much plaintalk with "Code 3" or "Code". For example "Unit Blah blah, I need you and Blah blah to respond Code 3 to 11-80 at yadda yadda." 11-80 stands for accident with major injuries.

The closest I can think of is 11-99 (Office needs immediate assistance).

What does 10-15 mean in your department (it means in custody here)?
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    That's why FEMA and other agencies are pushing for more plain language on radios, so radio traffic doesn't cause mega confusion.
    Show me some hard facts and verified sources where this is true. The only thing I have seen the Federal Government do thus far in helping local and state LE agencies is to throw them some $$ when they act up. Then everyone is quiet until they need more $$...............

Who the hell are you anyway, and when was the last time you used tens for anything? I'm just curious. Seriously, not trying to pick a fight but I when I don't see "Verified" above your name I just wonder who you are to give us advice.

That's why I came to this site, because I knew that "W" and "LT" among others could weed out the bad apples. Just wondering what your credentials are to opine. Please indulge me.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker
    Show me some hard facts and verified sources where this is true. The only thing I have seen the Federal Government do thus far in helping local and state LE agencies is to throw them some $$ when they act up. Then everyone is quiet until they need more $$...............

Who the hell are you anyway, and when was the last time you used tens for anything? I'm just curious. Seriously, not trying to pick a fight but I when I don't see "Verified" above your name I just wonder who you are to give us advice.

That's why I came to this site, because I knew that "W" and "LT" among others could weed out the bad apples. Just wondering what your credentials are to opine. Please indulge me.
    I'm hoping you're posting while intoxicated, which might explain some of the unnecessary hostility. As this is the "public forum" my statements are as welcome as yours, tag or not. As for me being a "bad apple," maybe you could read some of my other posts before (wrongly) judging me on this one. I was in an excellent police academy for 4 months, during which I learned a great deal. I don't wave it around like I've done the job, but if I feel I might know something that could help someone, I'll share it. I'll restrain the rest of my thoughts about your personal statements and just share this.

FEMA Says 10-4 Isn't Always Clear

10-4 translates to acknowledgement, 10-50 means there's been an accident on the roadways.

Ten codes are the language heard on law enforcement radio.

Federal Emergency Management Agency officials say since those codes aren't universal between all agencies, they should be eliminated. They say the codes have the potential to slow response time or send mixed messages.

Eau Claire's police chief says in situations that have multiple agencies responding, officers will stay away from code. "I think in your day to day operations, agencies are still using portions of it, but when there's a large scale event, they'll switch to plain English," says Chief Jerry Matysik.

FEMA says law enforcement agencies need to switch away from code entirely by next September, or risk losing federal funding
    The federal government wants police and other emergency responders to change the way they communicate.

FEMA, The Federal Emergency Management Agency, says using plain English instead of code numbers would prevent confusion.

Numbers are used by police departments across the country to communicate vital, even life saving information.

It's called the 10-code and it's been used for decades on police radios and by dispatchers.

"Instead of saying there's a fight in progress, we say 10-10. It just gets the message across much quicker without spending a lot of air time. We relieve the airtime in case someone needs it for an emergency," explains Mason Keller with the St. Louis County Police Department.

But FEMA says the codes can be confusing because they differ from department to department and that could cause problems in a national emergency.

For example, a 10-38 in Jefferson County means officer needs assistance. In Kirkwood, a 10-38 means suspicious occupied vehicle. Nationwide, a 10-38 typically means an officer's destination.

FEMA officials want to do away with the 10-code system and have officers speak plain English on the radio.

The federal government is ordering police departments to phase out codes by the fall of 2006 or risk losing millions in emergency preparedness money.

Some local departments say standardizing the code is a good idea, but they still worry it will limit the ways various departments can communicate.

"I think a universal code, a universal way of communicating is probably a good idea, but we probably need something in place so that if we're talking about something we don't necessarily want out over that we can talk in code," says Captain Scott Will with the Maryland Heights Police Department.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......

This is why the federal government wants to get away from ten codes on multi-agency operations.

http://faq.fema.gov/cgi-bin/fema.cfg...i=&p_topview=1

This sums up why most agencies are favoring plain talk as opposed to ten codes.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Good post Virginian...rep your way.

Speaking of 10 codes, I like our 10 codes. I don't want to get rid of them.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul

Why would someone need law enforcement credentials to state that FEMA is publicly pushing for something, anyway?

Cool

1) I'm always up for a healthy debate as long as my adversary is well-equipped with the knowledge to back up their argument. I commend your quotes but you still have not verified their origin. Anyone could post something and say it was from FEMA. My nephew could type something up and post it, but that doesn't make it true. I have not yet found anything to back this up on their website. Maybe you could enlighten me with your vast wisdom.

2) If you have completed a whole four months of law enforcement training, and you are so wise and obviously skilled in scary avatars and intimidating signatures (verified kickass), then why are you not the Chief of Police in LA or New York by now? I would think that someone with your vast expertise from a whole academy class would cause the FBI to be chomping at the bit to get their hands on such a goldmine of CJ knowledge.

3) All that being said, and not even going to the "intoxication"(I'm a Mormon and don't drink!) thing, I truly believe that you mean well and I don't want you to hate me. So let's please be friends..............please? I really need a hug! c'mon now............I think I love you...................

Ruh
    Ruh is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    I really think it is absolutely rediculous to even want to consider getting rid of 10 codes. Hell, if anything make them universal. But to totally get rid of them? Officer safety issues out the wazzu!
    Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother." - Henry V

"Crime does pay, in brass and lead."

This is myspace.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Alright guys...no need for this to get ugly. This is the public area, so save your issues for private messages.

Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    Alright guys...no need for this to get ugly. This is the public area, so save your issues for private messages.
    My apologies. Promise I will keep my opinions behind the walls of LEO's ONLY from now on. Peace and be safe!

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    1) I'm always up for a healthy debate as long as my adversary is well-equipped with the knowledge to back up their argument. I commend your quotes but you still have not verified their origin. Anyone could post something and say it was from FEMA. My nephew could type something up and post it, but that doesn't make it true. I have not yet found anything to back this up on their website. Maybe you could enlighten me with your vast wisdom.

If you do a google search for something along the lines of "FEMA ten-codes", you get a ton of results that would show you this. I don't know why you're jumping on someone who isn't an LEO for responding to this thread. It seems silly, since I don't think you have to have LEO experience to understand that ten-codes can be very confusing if they mean different things to different agencies. In fact, I think the original poster did a pretty good job of explaining why that might be the case.

From http://www.colorado.edu/hazards/o/may06/may06c.html

IMS: 10-Codes and Plain English

In response to confusion over the National Incident Management System’s (NIMS) plain English requirements, the NIMS Integration Center (NIC) issued a clarifying NIMS Alert. The alert points out that 10-codes used in one jurisdiction are not the same as those used in another and stressed the importance of common terminology among responders and incident managers in an emergency situation. It is critical that all local responders, as well as those coming into an impacted area from other jurisdictions, states, and federal agencies, know and utilize commonly established operational structures, terminology, policies, and procedures.

NIMS requires that plain English be used for multiagency, multijurisdiction, and multidiscipline events, such as major disasters and exercises. Beginning in fiscal year 2007, federal preparedness grant funding is contingent on the use of plain English in major incidents requiring assistance from responders from other agencies, jurisdictions, and functional disciplines. While the NIC does not require plain English for internal operations, they strongly encourage it, emphasizing how important it is to practice terminology and procedures that will be needed in large emergencies.

Read the alert at www.fema.gov/pdf/nims/More10Codes02-08-06.pdf. Direct questions to the NIC at NIMS-Integration-Center@dhs.gov or (202) 646-3850. (A position statement from the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials supports the requirement: http://www.apcointl.org/government/p...on021306.pdf.)

clare911 is offline Banned
    Our 10-18 is a Warrant Check Shows An Active Warrant

Wink

I am going to take the advice of well-informed friends (you know who you are) ,bite my tongue, and drop this debate. I will take up a new debate soon at a post near you...........soon to be named, but most probably behind closed doors(LEO ONLY!). Peace.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Its not a big deal. When talking to another department, use plain speak.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    Its not a big deal. When talking to another department, use plain speak.
    Praying, of course, that you have a good dispatcher. Different thread completely and no offense to the GOOD dispatchers out there, but even plain English is confusing to some of the people on the other end of the radio. Not their fault. You can't fix stupid! THANK GOD for the few dispatchers that I have who know their shit and cover my ass!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information