Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class

No crosses near Mosques?

Amsterdam: The War Over a Cross. Who Wins?

From the desk of Paul Belien on Mon, 2006-03-13 13:59

The Amsterdam authorities have announced that a large cross, which was removed from in front of a supermosque that is currently being built in a western suburb of the city, will be put back in its original place once the construction works are over in a few years’ time.

Last week we reported on the decision of the Amsterdam borough of De Baarsjes to permanently remove the white cross which served as a memorial to the Second World War. The cross, with the inscription “Aan hen die vielen” (To those who fell), was situated in front of a place where a huge mosque – the Westermoskee – is currently being built. The cross was removed for the building works, but the authorities decided they would not put it back afterwards and would replace it by a “neutral” memorial, at the price of 50,000 euro.

According to the authorities the cross was offensive to the Muslim and Jewish communities, who had objected to the cross as a war memorial. “The cross is seen as a reference to Christianity. I can understand this,” the local (Christian-Democrat) councillor, Jan Voetberg, said.

However, news of the decision led to an outcry, which prompted the local council to renege on its decision. The local council was swamped with protests from all across the country. While the Pakistani, Moroccan and Turkish communities had, indeed, asked for the removal of the memorial, the Jewish community said it had never objected to the cross. On the contrary. Bloeme Evers, an Auschwitz survivor, said he was shocked by the demand. Three years ago a war remembrance ceremony at the memorial was disrupted by Moroccan youths shouting anti-Jewish slogans.

“We have made an error of judgement and apparently touched an open nerve,” Jan Voetberg said about the decision of the council’s change of mind. Last Friday the council announced that the cross will be returned to its original position “in a few years time,” once the construction of the mosque is completed.

Considering that it is probably intolerable for a Muslim to have a huge white cross in front of a mosque (at least as intolerable as a paper that publishes a drawing of Muhammad) we are curious to see whether the Amsterdam cross will indeed return – and if so – for how long.

Give me a break!

Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    My guess would be that they hope people will have forgotten "in a few years time" and it will never get put back.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    How about moving the God Damn mosque, the cross was there first; and if you don't like go back to your camel herding.

Why can't we have a law against stupidity and intolerance?

OK now somebody say I am intolerant.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Did you know that "you know who" has been banned?

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cst.SB
    Did you know that "you know who" has been banned?
    Yes.

Is this a warning, did I do something wrong?

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    The dutch people are known for their tolerance. SOmetimes so tolerant that they appease people at their own expense. There is a catholic chuch and a mosque across the street from each other. I think it's a nice symbol of religious freedom and tolerance. 2 beleifs, but they are there for the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by lesta311
    The dutch people are known for their tolerance. SOmetimes so tolerant that they appease people at their own expense. There is a catholic chuch and a mosque across the street from each other. I think it's a nice symbol of religious freedom and tolerance. 2 beleifs, but they are there for the same purpose.
    Wow, you wouldn't see that in many parts of the world. According to Dhimitude (part of Shari'a Law) it's illegal in Islamic countries to build churches, add on to existing churches, or display outside the church any symbols of faith, ie: crosses.

FishTail Guest
    I fail to see how they can claim that the symbol of another faith is offensive. If thet's the case then the crescent is also offensive (to Christians and Jews) and all religious symbols are offensive to athiests.

If their symbols were prohibited whilst others were allowed then they'd have some ground. But all they're trying to do is impose their culture on others by claiming to be offended. Don't forget that a mosque is a very powerful symbol of Islam, which is not just a religion but a way of life. If you can remove all other symbols of other religions and only leave symbols of Islam you send a message that it is the only religion (and way of life) on offer.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    If you can remove all other symbols of other religions and only leave symbols of Islam you send a message that it is the only religion (and way of life) on offer.
    Isn't that what they want to promote? Everyone else is an infidel to them.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Ok Longtail,

I hear a lot of stuff coming out of Europe, like the riots in France (not the recent student ones), and issues regarding Islam in the UK.

What is your honest take on it? Because from where I am sitting, the world seems headed for disaster.

FishTail Guest
    My honest take on it will never appear in the public area because it could easily get me fired. I'm not allowed to have an opinion, see?

You might like to take a look at a completely random site here
    Last edited by FishTail; 06-12-06 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks, glad I found that website without any assistance. Very interesting reading.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Umm, are you male or female, LT?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

FishTail Guest
    Male. Why?

Thread Information