Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Danielle is offline Banned

Question EMTs and Paramedics

What is the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic??

I am not involved in Law Enforcement in any way, shape, or form, because I can't be. I am only 18 years old... just looking for opinions/advice.

What are your views on Paramedics?? Do they have a dangerous job??

Thanks.
    Last edited by Danielle; 06-17-06 at 07:43 PM.

Ok...Well I dual enrolled my Senior year in our local Community College and took the classes needed to take my national registry test for EMT-Basic. So thats my background for knowing what I'm saying here, lol.

Overall, an EMT (Emergency Medical Technican) is a broad term used to describe all EMT's regardless of their level. There is a structure though normally follows as so:
    First Responder
    EMT-Basic
    EMT-Intermediate
    Paramedic

First Responders, as I'm not totally familar with, but I believe, has the ability to do basic First Aid, CPR. EMT-Basics are able to do most things required, except intubations, push drugs, IV's, the more advanced stuff. EMT-Intermediates is the level in between, they can do IV's, I'm not sure if they can intubate, and can do a few drugs. Paramedic is the top notch, they have the abilty to do just about anything short of surgery in the back of the ambulance. They can intibate, can read a cardiac monitor with their eyes closed, able to do IV's, push drugs, etc. I'm sure if you search google you can get a lot better decription of each.

I orginally headed in the direction of being a Paramedic, thats what I thought my calling was, thus why I dual enrolled my Senior year in HS. Once I got into it and started doing my clinicals, and riding on the ambulance, I obviously realized it wasn't going to be my thing. I was too involved in the stuff I as an EMT wasn't supposed to give a shit about, the stuff that happened after we left. Especially wtih say traffic accidents, the investigation, the people guilty, why, and hows etc. Realizing, LE was really were I wanted to be.

Yes! Paramedics have a dangerous job. Mostly they have the threat of infectious diease transmission, like any medical employee. From accidental needle pokes, to TB, to just about anything out there. Also, any career that you have to walk into a place of ultimate, chaos and panic and be the one to calm the situatin down, is going to be dangerous. Not to mention like LE, you have the stress of horrors you see, weird hours, etc.

Outright, its not easy. It may look easy, but I saw people going through Paramedic and it was a pain in the ass, just going through EMT-B was a ass kicker. It takes brains, it takes practice, and it takes a special breed of person, as with any career. My best option to you is to try and get your feet wet, talk to EMTs in the field, some places do ride alongs. See if its really where your heart is, if you do the work, learn your stuff, I'm sure it would be a very rewarding career and worth the effort. Money wise if you get specialized hospitals or private ambulance companies the money can be decent but outright its not one you for the mountains of cash.

Hope that helps and if anyone knows more, go ahead and say I"m wrong, lol. Thats fine!

Also, I'm 18 and work for two police departments, . It's possible, you just have to look, hold your head high and prove you have the maturity.
    Last edited by Autumn2009; 06-16-06 at 07:31 PM.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    If you are going to be immature and say something uncalled for to me, don't bother to even reply.
    Funny. An 18 year old with only 3 posts comes and tells people not to be immature. How about you leave the TOS stuff to me?

Emily is offline Corporal
    On the department that my brother volunteers for they cannot USUALLY roll a squad out until a paramedic is on one. They're the only ones that have access to all of the heavy meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    On the department that my brother volunteers for they cannot USUALLY roll a squad out until a paramedic is on one. They're the only ones that have access to all of the heavy meds.
    It depends on the certified level of the ambulance, if its a Basic Life Support ambulance (BLS unit) it can just be EMT-B's. If its an Advanced Life Support ambulance (ALS unit) it has to have at least one paramedic on board.

~

Emily is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Post#83Chief
    It depends on the certified level of the ambulance, if its a Basic Life Support ambulance (BLS unit) it can just be EMT-B's. If its an Advanced Life Support ambulance (ALS unit) it has to have at least one paramedic on board.
    yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    As PostChief wrote, the answer to your question is essentially that a paramedic is an EMT, but a particularly advanced classification of EMT.

Generally, paramedics will be referred to as either paramedics or medics whereas the term EMT generally implies either a EMT-basic or EMT-intermediate, though they are all technically EMTs.

I work for a campus-based BLS EMS group. Though we have some paramedics in our group and others with training beyond the standard basic curriculum, we remain a BLS group because we do not at this time have ALS protocols or equipment to allow the provision of ALS care.

Different jurisdictions and states also have different protocols and differences in training that allow EMT-Basics to provide more advanced care than Basics in other areas. In the group I work for, for example, we are trained in a simplified form of intubation with a device called a Combitube. We also carry some medications that Basics in other areas do not, such as albuterol with nebulizers for asthma patients and our own EPI-autoinjectors. BLS units generally have protocols in place for ALS assistance in the event that its needed -- this is variable depending on the unit's location (rural, urban, etc.) and what if any advanced training they've received.

The difference in training between Basics and Intermediates is not nearly as wide as the difference between Basics and Paramedics. Though I don't think any EMT training is easy, medics are very highly trained and not paid nearly enough for their skill and abilities. But what else is new.

Like most things in public safety, the job can be fun and exciting, or very difficult and boring. There's tons and tons of room for additional training. I'm still very new to this and I think 90% + of what you learn, you learn after you complete your initial formal training. Anyway, I could go on and on and I'm already being long-winded. So I'll just say that I encourage you to sign up for a Basic course if you have the time and see if you think you might like it. Like PostChief said, it's not for everybody and like most things in life it's more difficult than it might seem. If you decide not to pursue it, then you at least walk away with some skills that one day you might put to great use.

Oh yeah, edited to add: On the danger side, EMT 101 is to always ask yourself if the scene is safe for you, your partner, and your patient before you enter it. And usually, the police and fire departments ensure that that's the case. However, you can never remove certain elements of danger that come with entering still relatively unknown and unstable situations, and dealing with unknown and possibly unstable patients -- especially those that might be under the influence of something.
    Last edited by Andrewtx; 06-16-06 at 08:47 PM.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    What is the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic??

I am not involved in Law Enforcement in any way, shape, or form, because I can't be. I am only 18 years old... just looking for opinions/advice.

What are your views on Paramedics?? Do they have a dangerous job??

If you are going to be immature and say something uncalled for to me, don't bother to even reply.

Thanks.
    Sorry, but here comes the immature response! I thought your post was fairly reasonable until I saw the last line. This is a police officers board, so I suggest you go find a paramedic board, maybe they will not insult your highly evolved 18 year old intelligence like us cops.
    Isn't the OC on, now go watch. bye bye.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Quote Originally Posted by beans43
    Sorry, but here comes the immature response! I thought your post was fairly reasonable until I saw the last line. This is a police officers board, so I suggest you go find a paramedic board, maybe they will not insult your highly evolved 18 year old intelligence like us cops.
    Isn't the OC on, now go watch. bye bye.
    Judge the exception, but don't make it the rule. I'm 18 and I know that my maturity level is by far, vastly inferior in comparisson to most on this forum, I have a lot of growing up left to do, but I believe at this time, I'm doing pretty well. Just want to make sure you don't think all us 18 year olds are little heathens, who watch the OC all day and eat cheetos. hehe.

~

Verified LEO
    Judge the exception, but don't make it the rule. I'm 18 and I know that my maturity level is by far, vastly inferior in comparisson to most on this forum, I have a lot of growing up left to do, but I believe at this time, I'm doing pretty well. Just want to make sure you don't think all us 18 year olds are little heathens, who watch the OC all day and eat cheetos. hehe.
    I am not grouping all 18 year olds together, I just found that post from Danielle a bit insulting. No offense towards you, you seem very mature and I had no idea you were 18.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

I am not grouping all 18 year olds together, I just found that post from Danielle a bit insulting. No offense towards you, you seem very mature and I had no idea you were 18.
    None taken, I'm just a bit skiddish when it comes to "grouping" cause I've always been stuck in the sterotype group, and it drives me nuts. lol. Not saying that you've done any of that, anyways.

Carry on.

~

Verified LEO
    None taken, I'm just a bit skiddish when it comes to "grouping" cause I've always been stuck in the sterotype group, and it drives me nuts. lol. Not saying that you've done any of that, anyways.

Carry on.
    Hey better to be 18 than 30 and balding!

Hey better to be 18 than 30 and balding!
    If I start balding, I'm getting a comb over. I think I'll scare people, but it will be worth it.

~

Arrow

I don't need to be on a Paramedic board to get answers to my questions, obviously.

Thank you, Post... I start my first Paramedic class in October....They don't do ride-alongs here in PA for EMTs or Police because of insurance issues.

I know it's going to be tough, I know 2 Paramedics myself, I'm just trying to get myself ready for it.

I don't need to be on a Paramedic board to get answers to my questions, obviously.

Thank you, Post... I start my first Paramedic class in October....They don't do ride-alongs here in PA for EMTs or Police because of insurance issues.

I know it's going to be tough, I know 2 Paramedics myself, I'm just trying to get myself ready for it.

Are you already a basic?

Just a side note of advice, might wanna drop a bit of the attitude. Being young, sometimes we think we know all and think we've grown up but once we sit back and listen to what those older than us have to say and respect them, is when we truly begin to learn. I'm not you though so do as you will.

Like Andrew said, are you already a basic?

Best of luck!

~

Just a side note of advice, might wanna drop a bit of the attitude. Being young, sometimes we think we know all and think we've grown up but once we sit back and listen to what those older than us have to say and respect them, is when we truly begin to learn. I'm not you though so do as you will.

Like Andrew said, are you already a basic?

Best of luck!
    Yeah, good advice, post! Every day's a learning experience, especially with stuff like this..

All of the paramedic schools I've looked up require your basic certification ahead of time. Maybe we didn't clear up the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx
    Yeah, good advice, post! Every day's a learning experience, especially with stuff like this..

All of the paramedic schools I've looked up require your basic certification ahead of time. Maybe we didn't clear up the confusion?
    Especially in LE and EMS, such are two career fields where, you learn supposedly how its done in the endless amount of schooling, but its when you get out there and learn from the ppl who have been doing it, that you will really be able to excel at what you do. Otherwise, attitude will get your ass to the grass faster than you can figure out what's happening. Food for thought.

Ya I think I'm confused by being confused. lol

~

Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    I start my first Paramedic class in October....They don't do ride-alongs here in PA for EMTs or Police because of insurance issues.
    You're registered for Paramedic class and you've never ridden on a call?

That seems a little strange. I would reccomend finding a volunteer squad in your area and put some time in.

I don't know where you came up with no ride-alongs in PA for Police/EMS because of insurance reasons. That may be one company but it's certainly not through the entire state.

If you've never been on a basic call how do you know you will enjoy being a paramedic? Do you have any idea how difficult it is dealing with emergencies day in, day out? Do you know how hard Paramedic classes are? In certain areas they have difficulty because of the numbers of people who fail the class. Ask anyone who was ever certified in Bucks County PA how many of their class mates failed the "Mega-code" scenario.

My spidey senses are tingling . . . IBTL!
    Last edited by Operator13; 06-17-06 at 05:33 AM.
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

Arrow

I never said I didn't respect anyone!! You have the wrong impression of me.

And, yes, I do know how hard it is and how stressful and how quick you have to think in this career field. My local Police Department told me about the ride-a-long issue when I talked to them.

I will find out all this information on Tuesday whether I need the EMT-Basic to enroll.

Thank you guys for all you're advise.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information