Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO

"Where are you from?" said a son.

I picked up my son from his elementary school. Once I was driving around, he popped the question: "Where are you from?" and giggled. I braked my vehicle to a suddenly and complete stop. Looked at him in puzzlement, I asked him, "Where did you learn to say that line, honey?" "One of my friends taught me that line, why?" replied my son. I turned off the motor in the parking lot behind the "Giant Dollar" store and opened the windows to let the fresh air in. I explained to him that the line has been used by some gang members and with an act, they will harm others or shoot them. My son's eyes became widened and understood what if it can happen. We waited for a while, he was quiet. He turned around and asked, "If someone at school ask me where I'm from? What would I say to him/her?" Trying to think for a moment, I told him, "Well, you can simply ignore them and walk away OR say 'I'm around here. Excuse me, I gotta go now.'"

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing.... This is the first time, he popped a question two days ago. His graduation is next week and will be 11 on June 27th. He got me worry now.
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf
    I explained to him that the line has been used by some gang members and with an act, they will harm others or shoot them.
    I'm not saying this isn't true- but in the nearly 6 years I've closely interacted with gangs and gang members I've never heard this.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

mafiosard85 is offline Rookie
    ive never heard of that either....i thought it was just "a pick up line" to get hit on or something lol but if thats the case, you better be careful god forbid...granted your son is in elementry school but you dont know what other kids are doing weither younger or older. i wouldnt sweat it...kids pick up things and dont know what they mean all the time (we taught my boyfriends 2 year old neice to say "yambag" and she hasnt got a clue as to what it means lmfao)
    i AM the original "Loose Cannon!"

yeah, but I'm worry about it when he'll be in the middle school in September as a 6th grader.

My son said that his friend's brother in lowest high school taught him the line and his friend taught him the line. (Lowest high school in Los Angeles city... is because his brother was OTed twice.. OT: Opportunity Transferred. ) I'll take that "yambag" as an answer for him to use and see what it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion44
    I'm not saying this isn't true- but in the nearly 6 years I've closely interacted with gangs and gang members I've never heard this.
    It can only happens in California sometimes, normally in Los Angeles area. It sucks to live here nearby the city. The line may be old. It happened outside of the high school. Don't remember which one. Still I'm worry.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mafiosard85
    (we taught my boyfriends 2 year old neice to say "yambag" and she hasnt got a clue as to what it means lmfao)
    So, what exactly is a "yambag?" Inquiring minds (mine anyway) want to know.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    yeah, but I'm worry about it.
    Whitewolf, as a parent, you have a right to worry, especially since we don't know what other kids are saying and doing. There are just too many parents including others who don't give a about their kids much less what they're saying and doing. For example...

Quote Originally Posted by mafiosard85
    "Kids pick up things and don't know what they mean all the time
    ... yeah, because parents don't know what they're doing. The truth is parents don't want to do what Whitewolf is doing; being a responsbile parent! Go ahead and worry, my friend! You'll be thankful you did.
    Last edited by Crimebytes2; 06-18-06 at 12:01 AM.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Well, if you let your child attend public school you're gambling with his intelligence anyway- so why not his safety, too?
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

yeah, Crimebytes2, I love being a responsible parent. My kids hate it when I discipline them but they still love me. I'm still working on my older daughter... <sigh> Not easy but she's gettin' around to be a better kid. I notice so many parents around here on every block and street just don't care about their own kids. Always defending them with "my son/daughter is a good boy/girl. She/he doesn't do anything wrong. Some kids are making up." They then storm out of the office many times in my daughter's old middle school.

I would either defend or not defend depending on the complaint some kids made. If they (school) won't provide evidence, then the kids lied (I know them...). If they tell me the truth of what she was doing: walking around boring, not being in class. Then I would definately scold her and ground her. She hates it but she accepts the responsibility of what she did. That is what I do, as being a responsible mother. Why making babies if they don't want to act as parents?

Centurion, my son already has been explained a numerous of times about his safety and our safety. He loves it when I look after him especially picking out proper clothings and hear the same ritual "Look both way before you cross the street." I hope he will not be a mama's boy. Heh. I also explain to my son regarding the middle school and his safety. My daughter will not be there for him when he'll be a 6th grader. He will have to work harder and tell the school officials if there is something wrong. (I doubt they will ever listen to his future complaints. Glad my OTed daughter's middle school is BETTER. So she will stay there until graduation in 2007. She said she likes it there better than her old school. If I ever hear one word out of that old middle school. I'll send my son packing to my daughter's middle school 14 minutes away.)

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion44
    I have to agree. As a general rule -- real gang bangers are going to recognize each other, and know the difference between an 11 year old screwing around. I worked a case not long ago where some supposed gang bangers decided to flash gang signs at a middle aged suburban mother who was using American Sign Language to speak to her deaf son. I concluded that they were just a bunch of idiots who wanted to look tough, 'cause I can't see real gang member mistaking ASL for flashing signs -- ESPECIALLY with a middle-aged mommy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199
    I worked a case not long ago where some supposed gang bangers decided to flash gang signs at a middle aged suburban mother who was using American Sign Language to speak to her deaf son. I concluded that they were just a bunch of idiots who wanted to look tough, 'cause I can't see real gang member mistaking ASL for flashing signs -- ESPECIALLY with a middle-aged mommy!
    ARGH! Remind me of the "ILY" It stands for "I Love You" but the gang members would just took it and used it as "Latin Kings." Grrrr! I hate it when some gang members would do that. I was signing, "ILY" to my friends as they were leaving in their car. Those teen boys who walked past me, smiled and flashed the similar "ILY" as for their "Latin King." They're RABID MONKEYS!!!! Sheesh. I wonder what is going on around here.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Perhaps the child actually wanted to know where you were from? As in place of birth.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42
    Perhaps the child actually wanted to know where you were from? As in place of birth.
    Actually, he told me a long but short story in our parked vehicle. He told me that his friend said "you know the name of the street, like Grape Street or Florence Avenue..so where are you from?" I know both streets have gang members; Grape gang and F-13 gang. I'm trying to figure out why his friend's brother would teach his friend, and then his friend is teaching my son? I do hope that his friend will not turn out to be like his friend's older brother. He told me that he and his friend were playing around with the line. I told him, it's not right to play around, not this time.

It's best for my son to ignore that line and not to use that line unless he meet nice people and ask where they from like state of birth, etc..

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I've heard of this, mostly in California when I worked gangs there. In other areas they may ask "What set are you claiming?" or Who you wit. If my kid asked me about this I would tell him to say, I'm from my mother and father. Or I was born in FILL IN THE BLANK City in FILL IN THE BLANK State!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Actually, he told me a long but short story in our parked vehicle. He told me that his friend said "you know the name of the street, like Grape Street or Florence Avenue..so where are you from?" I know both streets have gang members; Grape gang and F-13 gang. I'm trying to figure out why his friend's brother would teach his friend, and then his friend is teaching my son? I do hope that his friend will not turn out to be like his friend's older brother. He told me that he and his friend were playing around with the line. I told him, it's not right to play around, not this time.

It's best for my son to ignore that line and not to use that line unless he meet nice people and ask where they from like state of birth, etc..
    This is called recruiting! This is where it starts, they will suck a kid in this way gaining their interest, then start to show them more and more!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Maybe he wanted The Talk??

Quote Originally Posted by tjpuclik2
    I've heard of this, mostly in California when I worked gangs there. In other areas they may ask "What set are you claiming?" or Who you wit. If my kid asked me about this I would tell him to say, I'm from my mother and father. Or I was born in FILL IN THE BLANK City in FILL IN THE BLANK State!
    Hmmmm....yes, yes! I would tell him to repeat that line "I'm from my mom and dad." It's a good idea or like "yambag." That's a good idea. Jeez. You was from Cali? How's life in Oklahoma? Glad my son didn't want to be like any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Maybe he wanted The Talk??
    Hehehe..you're funny!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Oklahoma sucks, thats why Texas is still part or the US (Just Kidding about TX)

Quote Originally Posted by tjpuclik2
    Oklahoma sucks, thats why Texas is still part or the US (Just Kidding about TX)
    Jeez. I thought Oklahoma has a good country smell and warm breeze. Hmmm... lol ....

Well, sounds like I gotta let this thread rest now. Still I'm gonna make sure my son will be okay in the middle school and high school. Too many kids with negative influences...where are those good kids with positive influences gone to?

Thread Information