Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Emily is offline Corporal

Wink Nation's Smallest Police Station?

Alright, so I've heard of a itty bitty town in Florida having a telephone booth as a police station..... but, the great people in Friend, Nebraska are claiming that their's is the smallest? So I made a journey out there and took a few pictures......

Either way, it's kind of.....interesting?

Terminator is offline BANNED
    More like pathetic than interesting. Not something I would want to brag about. How embarassing for the officer(s) that serve and protect in Friend, Nebraska.

awww come on, they make do.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    awww come on, they make do.

Make do? 1 it looks like thay have very crappy equipment (That CV looks like its from the mid 90s) and 2, how shitty it must be to work in that small shack of a police station.

That's disrespectful for the officers that work there and I see it as having to be quite embarassing also.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Terminator is offline BANNED
    From the City of Friend's website:

The city of Friend is equipped with a 911 emergency system. Equipment in the police department includes two police cruisers with radar, computers, and 24-hour communication as well as other standard equipment.

http://www.ci.friend.ne.us/geninfo.htm

I guess they forgot to mention a police station the size of my bathroom.

By the way, I am aware that this thread may seem like I'm making a mockery of Friend's Police Department. In reality, I'm not... at all.

I spoke with a Friend officer before I took those pictures, a very nice gentleman. He didn't seem embarassed or ashamed. He took pride in it. He said his job wasn't about how small the station was.

I guess you shouldn't come to expect big, or even semi-normal sized stations from departments in the middle of Nebraska with less than 2,000 people. Heck, the city I live in has almost 20,000 and the station before the one they just moved into was so tiny the officers had to store their lunches and dinners in the same fridge as their evidence.

katiemh Guest
    I'm totally with you. A lot of times the equipment and station depends on city funds, a small city has a lot less revenue coming in. I don't think it's anything to be embarrassed about. If they don't have a need for some of the fancier, more updated equipment due to smaller population and much lower crime rate why waste the money on it? I think it's kinda cool, like a real life Andy Griffith show.
    Last edited by katiemh; 06-21-06 at 12:25 AM.

I think being in a city with the name Friend is pretty kick ass.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

FishTail Guest
    Am I the only one who thinks there's something sinister about being the "Friend Police"?

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    I spoke with a Friend officer before I took those pictures, a very nice gentleman. He didn't seem embarassed or ashamed. He took pride in it. He said his job wasn't about how small the station was.
    While I mean no disrespect, I'm willing to bet he does it for the exact same reasons you do LongTail, LawEnforcementForums, and ThisGlock40. Every Where U.S.A., large or small, needs a first line of defense. Give him some credit.

FishTail Guest
    What, exactly, do you mean by that? That post seems to be having a dig at the people mentioned and I for one would like to know why.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    That station is smaller than our locker room.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

AgentParsons is offline I'm no damn "Bounty Hunter"; I'm a Professional
    Sheesh; the CVPI is worth more then the PD. They have more FF then LEOs. But then again they have a pop of 1,100. Must get tiring arresting the same person all the time! lol

I'm sure they do their jobs well and I'm not cracking on them I just find it amusing when I see small departments. Out in Hallsville MO the AD is in one bay of the FD. At least it was when I was out there in 97'. ITs a desk, file cabinet, Polaroid camera and print station. A single cell and they park their cruiser inside the station; opps I mean bay! Then again their right now the street from Boone County Sheriffs Station.

Here in Rhode Island there is the City of Central Falls; a full 1 square mile in size. Densely populated with multi family homes. Presently, the Central Falls Police force is comprised of 39 men and women who continue to serve the community. The department currently holds the positions of chief, deputy chief, 3 captains, 4 lieutenants, and 6 sergeants. The officers who presently serve the city still face the challenges of serving a culturally diverse community.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion!

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    Am I the only one who thinks there's something sinister about being the "Friend Police"?

Seems like a good idea to me. I've got several friends who should be locked up.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO

I have a neighbor that reported me to the sheriff because when I pass him on the street I never smile So now my wife and I refer to him as the happy police

dla4079 is offline Corporal
    Verified C/O

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AgentParsons
    Must get tiring arresting the same person all the time! lol
    Arrest? Where would they lock'em up at? And if they do have a jail, does the town drunk just go in and lock himself up? LOL. Seriously, I think it's cool. Crime must be nil to none.

Capt. D. Larimore
    NTISF Gang Unit

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dla4079
    Arrest? Where would they lock'em up at? And if they do have a jail, does the town drunk just go in and lock himself up? LOL. Seriously, I think it's cool. Crime must be nil to none.

"here's the key's to the cell. Go lock yourself up and let yourself out in three days. By the way, if you feel combative, kick your own ass too."

It wouldn't bother me working for a department that small. I love small towns.

Unless the mayor is an asshole and his mere presense makes me want to climb a clocktower with a shoulder fired rocket launcher.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    What, exactly, do you mean by that? That post seems to be having a dig at the people mentioned and I for one would like to know why.
    Because up until my post the three mentioned were the only ones who had made a comment. I didn't single out anyone; I mentioned the ones who had posted. I meant no disrespect, and said so. I just thought you were being a little hard on the guy, and voiced my opinion. My apologies to you, LawEnforcement Forums, ThisGlock40, and to the entire LEF community.

doobiej is offline It just pays for beer money with dead goats
    One of our dispatcher was an officer in the city I currently work for. He told me that back in the day they had phones boxes mounted on telephone poles with a red light mounted high on the pole in various parts of the city. When they were patroling if they saw the red light on they would stop and pick up the phone and that was how they got their calls. They didn't have dispatchers so when a citizen would call the P.D. that is how they got the calls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information