Welcome to the APBWeb.
    copdawg is offline copdawg

Lightbulb Physical Training, work out pointers?

Hey guys,

I have been doing this for about 16 years, spent the last 10 as Canine just went back to uniform operations. Mens Health did an article on a Firemens' Workout, but not police. I run but am starting to face the old man aches and pains. Still like to show up the young guys. Does anyone know of workout program for COPS, that will help you maintain baton strike and take down effectiveness. When I was in K9 I stayed in pretty good shape but as more and more admin duties arise it gets harder. Just looking for some help.

Keep your chins up and heads down,

Mark

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Find a nice big pool and swim until you can barely lift yourself out of the pool.
    Protects your joints from the pounding they take during a run, since there's no impact, and it gives you strength, endurance and weight loss.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Here is a little exercise programme that you could try. It can be done anywhere, without the need for any special exercise kit.

Total Body Workout

Each of the following exercises should be preceded by a run of 20 metres or more taking the weight with you. (Medicine Ball best, but free weight in a bag of some sort will suffice). Number of reps can be anything above 10.

1. Push Pulls. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and knees flexed slightly. Hold the weight at chest height, extend the arms straight out in front and return to start position.

2. Throw Ins. Same stance as above. Hold weight behind head straighten arms over head, going forward in front of head by about 1foot, return to start position.

3. Side Turns. Same stance. Hold weight in both hands, at waist height. Elbows locked into, and slightly in front, of hips. Forearms parallel to the ground. Keeping hips square to front, twist upper body and arms to left, stop. Return to centre, stop. Twist to right, stop.

4. Side Leans. Same stance. Hold weight in both hands against forehead. Keeping back straight, lean to left, from waist, stop. Return to centre, stop. Lean to right, from waist, stop. And return to centre.

5. Hip Circles. Same stance. Circle the body transferring the weight from hand to hand, in front of body and behind body. Change direction half way through reps.

6. Figure of Eights. Feet wider apart than shoulders, bend from waist. Take weight round outside of left leg, then through legs, take weight in right hand, take round right leg, back between legs transfer the weight back to left hand and complete the figure of eight.

7. Diagonal Lifts. Feet shoulder width apart. Weight held in both hands, bend and touch floor with weight in front of left foot, lift weight above head over right foot and straighten back and arms. Touch weight to floor in front of right foot, then lift above head over left foot, straightening arms and back..

8. Sit Ups. Lay on floor, legs bent feet flat on floor. Hold weight with both hands against forehead and raise upper body off floor, return to start position. Exercise slowly

9. Leg Crunches. Support back with elbows whilst laying on floor. Hold weight between feet. Feet held off floor, legs straight , bend legs to bring weight to groin, then extend legs straight again.

10. Dorsal Raises. Lie face down, legs apart, toes on floor. Hold weight against forehead, then, raise upper body 6 inches. Lower slowly then repeat.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

copdawg is offline copdawg
    This looks very interesting, Looks low impact also. Thank you so much for the reply.

Mark

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    I like the 12oz can curls, the thumb click exercise and my fav the walk to the commode!!!! Works well for me LOL!!!!
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by fscf3801
    I like the 12oz can curls, the thumb click exercise and my fav the walk to the commode!!!! Works well for me LOL!!!!
    I thought you worked out, you stud.

"Stupid should hurt."

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    My favorite workout is fscf3801's mom.

Edit - sorry, I forgot you were looking for low impact exercise.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    That work out I posted will give you results in about 3 weeks. It is 'stolen' from a Military SF PTI . You can make it as hard as you need by uping the reps, weight and distance run between each exercise.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Thread Information