Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile

Stupid citizens arrest

Heard this happened a few days ago, I knew the crusties were talking about doing it but cant believe they were stupid enough to do it.

An anti US-Iraq protestor arrested 4 US soldiers that were staying at a hotel near the airport because their plane has technical problems. Called the local station and requested a Garda attend. The Garda attended and released the soldiers stating they had commited no crime.

No I can say now that they were commiting a crime, only Irish military personael are allowed wear their uniforms in public however its a summery (misdemeanor) offence and does not fall within the rules of citizens arrest. The rules are A, has to be an arrestable (felony) offence. B, Be necessary to prevent the loss or damage to life and/or property or there must be a genuine fear they would evade detection and C, the civilian must have seen the offence.

4 soldiers in a hotel waiting for a plane, someone, anyone think this qualifies?

I would have told the soldiers to go change if they wanted to sitesee but would also have advised that they make a formal complaint and prosecuted the idiot for unlawful detention and defemation of character.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    What a jackass. Surprised the soldiers didn't stomp him.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Hey, it is nice to see that my town doesn't have all the worlds assholes.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    So it is against the law for United States Military personnel (or any country's for that matter) to wear their uniforms in public in your country? Even though most personnel in uniform are being mandated (per SOP, Plan of the Day, etc) to wear it?

I guess I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Thank the Garda for using some discretion on that one! I bet the soldiers are still too busy laughing about that freak to prosecute him
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 06-29-06 at 04:44 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

FishTail Guest
    Wow...he'd have some explaining to do to me if he did that here.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    i served in the military overseas. alot of countries forbid wearing the uniform of another country in public unless u are on official military buisness. with all the shit going around unless ure in the u.s. or ure own country i think its a bad idea to wear it anywhere else in public. makes u a nice target for terrorists
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic
    So it is against the law for United States Military personnel (or any country's for that matter) to wear their uniforms in public in your country? Even though most personnel in uniform are being mandated (per SOP, Plan of the Day, etc) to wear it?

I guess I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.
    Your a foreign military force on Irish (neutral) soil. Why would you be allowed wear your uniform in public?

And SOP etc doesnt wash, the US military cannot over rule our laws when it suits + you arent supposed to leave the airport, your not stamped to be in Ireland, its a stop-over only.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu
    Hey, it is nice to see that my town doesn't have all the worlds assholes.
    Just the biggest one

I wonder if he was also a pool bouncer for an HOA?

(\__/)

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Hey Garda,
    Stupid question reference stupid citizen arrest; what would have happened if the idiot had got stomped by the GIís?

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly
    Hey Garda,
    Stupid question reference stupid citizen arrest; what would have happened if the idiot had got stomped by the GIís?

Diplomatic mess is the short answer.

From a legal view, they were falsely detained so could use force to stop that detention but then they too would also face the original charge + 2/3 marines against a hippie would not look like 'reasonable force' in court.

Add to that the anti-us PR that it would get overall they did the smart thing

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    How did one guy detain them anyhow? Couldn't have been physically, I would assume.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda
    Diplomatic mess is the short answer.

From a legal view, they were falsely detained so could use force to stop that detention but then they too would also face the original charge + 2/3 marines against a hippie would not look like 'reasonable force' in court.

Add to that the anti-us PR that it would get overall they did the smart thing
    Thanks.

One more; what about a cop in uniform, with out gun of course?

Thinking of the Saint Patricks day parade or something like that.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    I stopped at Shannon Ireland several times on my trips overseas. We were confined to the shops, main area of the airport. On my way back from Kosovo, we were allowed to go to the front of the airport, but not leave the actual area itself.

Its my personal opinion that the soldiers should be admonished. As a prior soldier for 7 years, it was made very clear to those that I served under and later underneath me, that there are people that dont like us. Wearing the uniform makes us a huge target, I dont see why they were 1) allowed to wear it or 2)they didnt have enough common sense to change into civilian clothes.

When I was in the UK on business right before the war and visited Ireland & Scotland, they didn't seem to be "hotspots", but yeah it only takes one angry person and now there are many angry people.

I wonder how the IRA feels toward Americans? I never thought to ask
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 06-30-06 at 11:21 AM.

(\__/)

FishTail Guest
    The IRA loves Americans because they get so much money from Irish-Americans. The fact that these guys are funding terrorists and at the same time bitching about Al Quaeda is beyond them.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    The IRA loves Americans because they get so much money from Irish-Americans. The fact that these guys are funding terrorists and at the same time bitching about Al Quaeda is beyond them.
    I can vouch for that, I knew a guy who used to send them money

AgentParsons is offline I'm no damn "Bounty Hunter"; I'm a Professional
    Military SOP states you must wear atleast your Utilities or BDU's while traveling on a Military Aircraft. If these guys had a mechanical malfunction and had to land and await repairs most likely they did not have Civies with them for the transit and had nothing else to change into.

None the less I'm surprised they didn't stomp a mud hole in the assclown that tried to arrest them.

It says they where staying at a hotel. I am assuming near or at the airport and where most likely in the resturant getting a bite to eat or spending some money in the hotels gift shop when this clown pulled this.

I tell you I would have laid him out and went about my shopping!
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion!

1st,
    I think your supposed to ask permission from both our dept of foreign affairs/Garda commissioner and your own force but I dont think thats looked upon as seriously. The reason for the uniform is very different and it wouldnt provoke such a strong feeling as a military one. NYFD were at the last Paddy's day here.

And yeah, The IRA love everyone except English people. Doesnt matter what you do in your own country as long as you provide cash/guns. They whored themselves in the US for years, also in Libya and even to the Germans during WW2.

Virginian,
    I doubt he used force, hippies are not renowned for that and this poor fool probable figured they would fall under his 'powerful gesture' of stating they were under arrest. Plus they might have thought he was a detective initially, I dont know.

Guys, beating him would have been such a bad move. It would gain support against the US, force a diplomatic problem, force the Gardai to arrest the soldiers and probable result in Shannon being taken back as a stopover. They were smart enough to realise the best answer to the problem. It would have caused problems both sides could do without and damage what is a good relationship between the 2 nations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information