Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757749

    Angry One reason for my attitude.

    In the issue of "odes to police", from some comments and PM's I've gotten (all polite and respectful), I've gotten the idea that I'm in a minority when I say that I think they are bullshit.

    I worked for a fairly good sized dept (about 1K sworn) and in 27 years, no doubt ended up working around and/or knowing several thousand. Most fall in the middle, but there are two extremes on the spectrum. One I really admire and tried to emulate and the other I found tiresome.

    The cops I admired were the ones who, when they did good or even outstanding police work, you always heard it from someone else, never them. In fact, if you mentioned it to them, they generally just shrugged their shoulders to indicate they were just doing what they were paid to do. The other is the ones who have to crow about anything they did or worst yet, take credit for everything when others were also involved.

    A couple of examples, one friend of mine was on our SERT team for over 20 years. This guy did some incredibly spectacular and brave deeds, but I always heard about them from other team members. I have no idea how many shootouts he was in nor the times he literally risked his life. But if you talked to him about work, he preferred to talk about the time he did something really dumb and embarrassed himself. He NEVER talked about the accomplishments.

    Another is a team of homicide detectives I knew. The two of them worked on over 100 homicides together and had an outstanding clearance rate. Both were quiet, unassuming men who never sought recognition, but in fact avoided it like the plague. But if you committed a crime, these were the last two guys you wanted on your tail!

    On the other side was a burglary detective I knew who was mediocre at best. But he had every bullshit certificate he ever got on his cubicle and even had one of those "Ode to Police" things framed and hanging up. This guy continually bragged about how tough the job was, how hard he worked, the cases he cleared (which was barely average) etc. etc.

    When I was a new cop, about a month out of the academy, my FTO took a day off and they put me with a guy with about 3 years on. From the time I got in the car, he started telling me what a great cop he was, all about every arrest he ever made, that his wife and family thought he was a superstar and that all cops are way cut above the rest of the world, on and on and on.

    I tuned him out after about 1/2 hour of his shit and heard a holdup call come out about a mile from us. Several cars were going so we didn't, but I wrote down the suspect description on the clipboard. About an hour later, I see a man fitting that description standing on a corner, possibly doing a dope deal. I have to literally hit my partner on the arm to get him to STF up and pointed out the suspect. The bad guy saw us and took off running. I bailed out of the car and started chasing him (Yeah, I know, but I'd only been out of the academy for a month, remember?) As I got behind him, I saw him throw something under a bush, but kept after him. He ran out of breath in about three blocks so I got him cuffed and waited for my partner to find me (no handheld radios then either). We put him in the back seat and I went back to that bush and found a gun.

    We took him to detectives where my partner told the story in a way that sounded like I was little more than a spectator and he did it all. That was fine, I was a rookie and I kept my mouth shut. He also wrote a report that barely mentioned me.

    For the rest of my career, everytime I saw this guy, he started the same shit, the bragging about all the police work he did, which I now took with a grain of salt.

    There were a number of people on each end on my dept. Unfortunately, the brass often believed the bullshiters and martyrs and they seem to get the good assignments. The guys who there really busting their ass rarely got the praise they deserved, but in reality, they didn't want it. That's why they were my heroes.

    I guess the moral to this is, the guy who doesn't need the recognition and displays true humility is to me, the real hero. Those that wallow in it and display arrogance generally don't have all that much to truly be arrogant about. Those "Ode to Police" things have been around a long time and I've seen them at work a number of times, always in the possession of the barely adequate. That's why I cringe when I read them. No offense meant to anyone, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 06-30-06 at 03:32 PM.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  2. #2
    Virginian's Avatar
    Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Join Date
    12-28-05
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,647
    Rep Power
    8590747
    Good post, Sgt.

  3. #3
    TheOldRhino's Avatar
    TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-23-06
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,142
    Rep Power
    2707687
    Although you had to brag about yourself a little bit, I understand why.

    I also agree with you 100%. There have been many times I hear guys standing around bragging about what they did and Harry Callahan always whispers in my my mind- "Yeah, you're a legend in your own mind."
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

  4. #4
    AGalCop's Avatar
    AGalCop is offline Between Rookie and Ol' Timer
    Join Date
    05-25-06
    Location
    California
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    4603738
    That is a great post. I have found your comments to be true in all facets of life, not just in police work. I think it stands true in church, volunteer work, etc. I think that people that need acknowledgment for everything they do, are not working from their heart but more from their ego. I think we all appreciate a compliment, but when you fish for them or give them to yourself, that's a different story.

    My dad did masonary work all his life. Watching him walk on those scaffolds while carrying blocks, bricks etc....that puts the danger in my job into perspective really quick. I'd be scared to death to do his job.

    I think we were all put on earth to complete a job God put before us, no job being more important then another. It takes all of us working together to make the world go round. It's not a perfect world but we all have our contributions to make.

  5. #5
    Cst.SB's Avatar
    Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Posts
    526
    Rep Power
    1066999
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    There were a number of people on each end on my dept. Unfortunately, the brass often believed the bullshiters and martyrs and they seem to get the good assignments. The guys who there really busting their ass rarely got the praise they deserved, but in reality, they didn't want it. That's why they were my heroes.!
    Apparently that problem is international!!!!!!

    Anyone know why the hell that is?

    I keep my mouth shut and take whatever shitty assignment there is, and sometimes you'd I think I'm the red headed step child.

    There's more I could say, but this is in the "public" forum. Let's just say "Choir" practice participation means more than self-generation, sources, street checks, and taking calls.

    Love my job, but I hate the popularity contests.

    Good post Retdetsgt

  6. #6
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757749
    Quote Originally Posted by Cst.SB
    I keep my mouth shut and take whatever shitty assignment there is, and sometimes you'd I think I'm the red headed step child.
    Yep, they'll work a work horse to death. The people that constantly run their mouth seem to never have to do anything.

    Another irritant for me is the people that need two radio mikes, one to use for police work and another to tell the world how fabulous they are.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  7. #7
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757749
    Quote Originally Posted by AGalCop
    My dad did masonary work all his life. Watching him walk on those scaffolds while carrying blocks, bricks etc....that puts the danger in my job into perspective really quick. I'd be scared to death to do his job.
    No kidding! People that whine about how tough our job is must not have had to work out in the real world much. I've mentioned it before, but a friend of mine is an iron worker on high steel. No way in hell would I even get up there, much less walk around like he does as if he was walking down the sidewalk!

    I'm not saying being a cop isn't dangerous, but a lot more people are killed around here doing construction work than police work. My dept loses a cop every 6 or 7 years on duty, several construction workers are killed on the job every year.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  8. #8
    Julie's Avatar
    Julie is offline Banned
    Join Date
    06-23-06
    Location
    S.C.
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    0
    I understand what your saying RetDet , and all the others , i agree 100% on many things , i am sure many of us have the same kinds of stories about partners , however , i think if someone wants to post some nice poems etc , so be it , why knock them down with it ? I dont see what the harm in it was .

    But it was enough of a comment that others closed up and decided not to post so they didnt have to defend themselves ( as some told me ) , i posted in spite of what you said on purpose , maybe its the old school in me . See, i have also had those kinds of partners and people in my life , i have always stood back and couldnt care less , i did my job and do other things in life too and i dont need glory , nor thanks , i do what i do for my own self satisfaction , so i posted because i knew others wouldnt after your post but i didnt feel it fair to the person who wanted to do this to feel wrong for posting. I thought it was just as good a post as many others on here and i saw no reason to put down anyone for it ...

    I understand your post RetDet and i respect you for all the years you did your job , and as a person , and im glad you were able to get what you wanted out of this by pushing those who for their own reasons may have wanted to share something , by effectively ending that . So much for not wanting attention....

    Maybe i just see poetry in a whole different level than you do , like when an officer passed and as so many do the families like to read something honoring their spouse or family member not sure where to find one and dont think a poem is an egostistical thing ... so i didnt see this the way you did , but whats great , is that we can respectfully disagree with each other and still go on with our day and enjoy it and our great website ...

  9. #9
    GarcoDeputy's Avatar
    GarcoDeputy is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    05-12-06
    Location
    Western Slope, Colorado
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    28547
    Great Post!!!!
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
    Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

    If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

  10. #10
    Retdetsgt's Avatar
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,944
    Rep Power
    7757749
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    Maybe i just see poetry in a whole different level than you do , like when an officer passed and as so many do the families like to read something honoring their spouse or family member not sure where to find one and dont think a poem is an egostistical thing ... so i didnt see this the way you did , but whats great , is that we can respectfully disagree with each other and still go on with our day and enjoy it and our great website ...
    When someone dies, that's something else. That is, if the poem is dedicated to the officer that died and is a little more personal than "all police officers" are so cool. I've lost several friends over my career, two to being shot and a couple more were killed in car crashes trying to get to a hot call. They gave their ultimate and I appreciate that. We were all eligible for that. Tributes to them are well deserved.

    However, sappy poems about the profession in general are really hard for me to stomach. As I keep saying, this ain't the toughest, dirtiest, nor most dangerous job out there, by any stretch. People that think it is haven't been around much, that's all there is to it. The reality of it is, we are just out there knocking out a living, not running around on white chargers slaying dragons and rescuing fair maidens. The poems simply try to make us into something we're not. I have never read one that I could identify myself with. But if some cop believes that stuff, they really need some serious therapy for their ego. And the cops I know that carry that stuff around and do believe it are more ego than cop. Guess that was my whole point.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

    "A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

  11. #11
    TheOldRhino's Avatar
    TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Join Date
    05-23-06
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,142
    Rep Power
    2707687
    Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
    Or close the wall up with our English dead.
    In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:

    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger...


    Gotta love Billy Shakes.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

  12. #12
    Trojan 42's Avatar
    Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-18-06
    Location
    Twixt the Moor and the Sea, England
    Posts
    3,003
    Rep Power
    4327282
    You are not alone with those thoughts RetDetSgt.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.



    I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

    It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

  13. #13
    Willowdared's Avatar
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Join Date
    04-26-06
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,177
    Rep Power
    1401352
    I guess I'll have to look for this poem thread and see what the whole story is, but I think I see your point.

    Too gushy can seem insincere, and make you wonder if there is an ulterior motive.

    I don't think people should not post something because they are afraid to be smacked down, and they should accept the fact that not everyone is going to gush back.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

    Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

  14. #14
    Trojan 42's Avatar
    Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-18-06
    Location
    Twixt the Moor and the Sea, England
    Posts
    3,003
    Rep Power
    4327282
    It is 'just a job' after all. Fun and sometimes dangerous, but still just a job.

    I'll say it here because none of 'Them' will read it, but my eldest son faces more danger most weeks than I ever did. He's a Firefighter.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.



    I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

    It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

  15. #15
    Crimebytes2's Avatar
    Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    04-14-06
    Location
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Posts
    2,005
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    i think if someone wants to post some nice poems etc , so be it , why knock them down with it ? I dont see what the harm in it was.
    I agree with you 100%, Julie. No one should be censored or made to feel as though his/her posts mean nothing. On the other hand, one must remember that LEF is a site for cops; run by cops... they have the final say (as it should be). Speaking for myself, I can understand how, if I may borrow a phrase from RetDetSgt, "sappy poems about the profession" would not sit well with these guys and gals. It's not that they don't appreciate it... they do. They just don't want to be made out to be something they're not... better than everyone else (RetDetSgt said it much better). Most cops will tell you that “it’s just a job” (Trojan 42 just did) and, for the most part, it is. On the other hand, you and I both know that it takes a really special person to be willing to unselfishly offer the ultimate sacrifice... his/her precious life; something that many of us never give a second thought to or care about.

    CopsRCool started this whole sappy poem thing. Although I wasn't crazy about the idea, I wasn't about to say anything to him. Why? Because he wrote his poem for a friend, and it came from the heart. As I mentioned earlier, most civilians do not give a second thought about the law enforcement personnel who respond to their call for help. They do not consider that while many have family and loved ones just as we do, they have choosen a career that frequently puts them in harms way.

    Then, again, there’s you and me, and the rest of the civi’s who participate here (trolls excluded). We do care. We want to show our respect, loyalty, appreciation, and admiration. When I see a cop I always say, "Thank you and stay safe!" That's it... no sappy, mushy poems. Same holds true here, especially if I'm in the chat room.

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    Maybe i just see poetry in a whole different level than you do,
    I, too, see poetry differently (it does nothing for me), but that's okay... everyone is different. Perhaps the admin's will consider adding a forum for those who wish to post poems... perhaps not. One just has to remember that cops and civilians live in two very different worlds. For what it's worth, I have never met a more humble bunch of cops in all my life. Read RetDetSgt's original post, again, and read between the lines... there's something very valuable to be learned - they ask nothing more of the ones they protect than courtesy, trust, and a little respect ~ Steve Staskiewicz.
    Last edited by Crimebytes2; 07-02-06 at 02:09 AM.

  16. #16
    Julie's Avatar
    Julie is offline Banned
    Join Date
    06-23-06
    Location
    S.C.
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    0
    Been there done that in real life , CB .... I know what its like out there but thanks for explaining what i should know ...lol

  17. #17
    Lo523's Avatar
    Lo523 is offline Master Officer
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,353
    Rep Power
    2919843
    Good Post!

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Darfur - The real reason behind the genocide!
    By Cst.SB in forum General Topics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-21-07, 05:01 AM
  2. One reason why LEO's have a job
    By Tony in forum General Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-07, 05:37 AM
  3. All the More Reason to NOT Support Obama
    By Pedro56 in forum In the News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-07, 10:01 AM
  4. A reason not to get drunk?
    By Trojan 42 in forum Shenanigans
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-07, 07:32 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-07, 07:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •