Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!

Marijuana And why it should not be legal

TOP U.S. AND UNITED NATIONS ANTI-DRUG OFFICIALS WARN ABOUT INCREASING THREAT OF MARIJUANA

New United Nations World Drug Report Shows "Devastating" Effects of High-Potency Marijuana;

Reports Stabilization of Global Market for Amphetamine-type Stimulants

(Washington, D.C.)—In commemoration of the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Trafficking, John P. Walters, Director of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP); Ambassador Anne Patterson, Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL); and Karen Tandy, Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) joined United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime Executive Director Antonio Maria Costa for the release of the U.N.'s 2006 World Drug Report.

The 2006 World Drug Report outlines significant global progress achieved in reducing the threat of drugs over the last year. The report also highlights challenges to international efforts to stem the trafficking, use, and production of dangerous, addictive drugs. Among the key findings of the U.N. World Drug Report:

Drug traffickers have invested heavily in increasing the potency of cannabis which has produced devastating effects. Today, the characteristics of cannabis are no longer that different from those of other plant-based drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Differing messages as well as legislative changes by various governments regarding marijuana leave young people confused as to just how dangerous cannabis is.

In the past five years, the area under coca cultivation in Andean countries has fallen by more than a quarter. At the same time, however, demand for cocaine is rising in Europe to alarming levels.

After years of rapid increases, the global market for amphetamine-type stimulants (ATS) is stabilizing.

While global drug market trends are generally moving in the right direction, more work is needed to ensure that these trends will be sustained.

Director Walters said, "This report is an international wake up call for those who still advocate the dangerous myth that marijuana is a harmless substance. While overall youth drug use in the United States has declined by almost 20 percent over the past four years, we are still seeing too many of our young people becoming addicted to cannabis. We are pleased to have the opportunity to join the United Nations in sharing with the rest of the world what science and research has been informing drug policy officials for years: If we are to make further progress in reducing the international drug threat, we must do everything we can to share our global understanding that all illegal drugs including marijuana are serious threats to the health of our citizens. We must continue our aggressive efforts to reduce the international drug problem by working to reduce both the supply and demand for all illegal drugs."

Ambassador Patterson stated, "The Department of State supports UNODC's efforts to assist countries in meeting their obligations under the UN drug conventions through both financial contributions to the organization and through many complementary bilateral and multilateral programs." The Ambassador added that "one of the primary goals of my Department is to work with international partners to reduce or eliminate drug supplies, especially cocaine in the Andean regional and opium in Afghanistan. We are also fully engaged in combating the threat of synthetic drugs, especially methamphetamine."

DEA Administrator Tandy said, ""For the Drug Enforcement Administration and our counterparts around the globe, every day is an International Day Against Drug Abuse and Trafficking. DEA has banded with our international partners in Afghanistan and Mexico to meet our toughest challenges head-on -- with new enforcement strategies and training and equipment for special foreign narcotics police. The collective efforts of the global community are making a difference - from the seizure in Mexico of precursor chemicals capable of producing more than 2 tons of methamphetamine and the seizure of more than 800 pounds of methamphetamine along with the largest meth lab in Mexico's history, to the first-ever extraditions from Afghanistan of heroin traffickers who used heroin as a form of jihad on Americans." Tandy added, "The often overlooked fact that only 5 percent of the world's population uses drugs is further proof that the DEA and our international partners are doing our jobs and doing them well."
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Funny thing is......people say "You should legalize marijuana." What they don't realize is it used to be legal, back in the 30's I believe it was. Lawmakers saw the effects and realized that it IS harmful.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Hell, if they could do with corn what they've done with marijuana over the last 30 years, we could feed the world on 40 acres of land. The stuff they used to grow here was junk, the good stuff had to come from Mexico or Asia. Now they grow some nasty shit here in the old Pacific NW.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    ive seen some pretty potent weed, but... similar to coke and heroin???

what I cant stand is the damn meth problem... that shit is just evil
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by General Patten
    ive seen some pretty potent weed, but... similar to coke and heroin???
    Canadian BC Bud, depending on what type you get can, trade almost POUND FOR POUND with Cocaine!!!!

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    It's late, and I'm very tired after working a shift on 3 hours' sleep. So I only skimmed the article. I did read your highlighted points, so I'll address them.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    Drug traffickers have invested heavily in increasing the potency of cannabis which has produced devastating effects. Today, the characteristics of cannabis are no longer that different from those of other plant-based drugs such as cocaine and heroin.
    Which tells me if you legalize it, and subsidize it, and place federal standards on it- just like you do tobacco and alcohol, it could potentionally be more safe than what you would buy on the streets of a world were it's illegal.

Would you buy a hamburger off a scuzzy looking guy on a street corner? No. Same principle. It doesn't mean we should make hamburgers illegal.

we must do everything we can to share our global understanding that all illegal drugs including marijuana are serious threats to the health of our citizens.
    Give me a damn break. So is caffine, sugar, glucose, MSG, cheese, grease, fat, nicotine, alcohol and red meat.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    Just because alcohol and tobacco are legal doesn't make them safe or nice if I was to today discover a mind altering drug that would be a factor or responsible for about half of all domestic abuse, 75% of assaults in the evening time in all town and city centres, cause 80% of emergency hospital admissions on a friday or saturday night, be a causation factor in road traffic deaths, cause people to vomit and urinate in the street what would you say if I wanted to set up large outlets with an occupancy of 2600 people to sell it at between £1 and £20 ( $1.85 to $37) ?

I guess most people would oppose me.

Operator13 is offline Just Another Voice
    Isn't one of the problems with marijuanna testing potency?

ie: with alcohol they rate by "proof" (twice the alcohol %) and you can gauge soemone's intoxication level relatively easily. With marijuanna is there any way to test for strength or to tell how intoxicated someone is?

These people may think they're buying one thing but do they have any idea what it's laced with or whatever?

I don't see it becoming legal in my lifetime.
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."

Quote Originally Posted by fscf3801
    Canadian BC Bud, depending on what type you get can, trade almost POUND FOR POUND with Cocaine!!!!
    EDIT: this statement has been removed to prevent any future misunderstandings that may take place because of it.

Subsequent posts will demonstrate the reasoning for this.
    Last edited by General Patten; 07-10-06 at 06:40 AM.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."

....what...?? that is rediculous...
    Why? Weed is probably the most enhanced drug out there. Dopers invest untold amounts of money to make it more potent, grow faster, yield a bigger crop, etc. And thats not even counting what may or may not be laced into it for the end users. The bottom line is weed isn't the same now as it was when it blew up in the 60's. It is not "harmless." Its a gateway drug. It may not have the immediate effects of something like meth, but it is still just as dangerous in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion44
    Which tells me if you legalize it, and subsidize it, and place federal standards on it- just like you do tobacco and alcohol, it could potentionally be more safe than what you would buy on the streets of a world were it's illegal.

If you did that the country would go to shit, even worse than it already is. And you still wouldn't stop illegal sales anymore than they stopped moonshiners after they lifted prohibition. Why? Money. After the govt got through taxing everything, a $10 bag of weed would be $30. Why pay that when you can go to the ghetto and get 3 bags for the price of one?

On the other hand....also look at people who would never consider trying it before who would decide to get on it since it was legal. After that.....whats next? Legalizing crack or meth? As a LEO, would you want your partner/backup be someone who you KNEW was using? I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash
    Why? Weed is probably the most enhanced drug out there. Dopers invest untold amounts of money to make it more potent, grow faster, yield a bigger crop, etc. And thats not even counting what may or may not be laced into it for the end users. The bottom line is weed isn't the same now as it was when it blew up in the 60's. It is not "harmless." Its a gateway drug. It may not have the immediate effects of something like meth, but it is still just as dangerous in the long run.
    well, if its laced, thats one thing... but otherwise... thats crazy... I know people who buy some pretty expensive weed, but $50 per gram? (thats how much coke costs up here in MI) ...that would have to be some "one-hit-and-youre-officially-retarded" weed

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash
    On the other hand....also look at people who would never consider trying it before who would decide to get on it since it was legal. After that.....whats next? Legalizing crack or meth? As a LEO, would you want your partner/backup be someone who you KNEW was using? I wouldn't.
    We work with drunks all the time...... If alcohol were discovered today, the addictive qualities of it would make it a scheduled II controlled substance...

When you talk gateway drug, think about alcohol again. Just about every doper actually started first with booze, marijuana came second.

No offense because I'm not referring to you, but I have to roll my eyes everytime some guy lectures me about people smoking a joint while they have a beer in their hand. Not everyone who uses drugs are addicts no more than everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. And no, I neither use drugs nor do I drink anymore, if that's what you're thinking.
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 07-09-06 at 03:40 PM.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Terminator is offline BANNED
    ... I know people who buy some pretty expensive weed...

Enlighten us on that one. Also note that potential police candidates whom associate with people of poor reputation, or whom committ illegal acitivies will be disqualified from the hiring process.

Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    Enlighten us on that one. Also note that potential police candidates whom associate with people of poor reputation, or whom committ illegal acitivies will be disqualified from the hiring process.
    so just knowing some people who break the law is enough to get me disqualified?

so just knowing some people who break the law is enough to get me disqualified?

No, but since when did you become a fuckin' expert on the matter?
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

....what...?? that is rediculous...

Yeah, you know SO much more then FSCF....

there next to it.

No, but since when did you become a fuckin' expert on the matter?
    im not an expert, nor am i claiming to be one...

Yeah, you know SO much more then FSCF....

thats not what i was trying to say. I was saying that that would have to be some rediculously strong weed, to be equally as expensive as coke

im not an expert, nor am i claiming to be one...
    Then why are you telling a Verified LEO whose job is to deal with narcotics on a regular basis and asses value, that what he is saying is "ridiculous"?

Seems like a slap in the face to me....
    there next to it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information