Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO

Words to base a career on

I stole this but I really like it..........wcso234

I think the following is an outstanding speech. The credit is given at the end of this. I think every police officer should would do well to heed this advice.

--- When people call 9-1-1, they don't care what your paycheck is...they want you there fast and they want you there good.

--- The poorest service comes from a monopoly. Monopolies treat you badly because they can. We are a monopoly.

--- School is over. Now it counts. 70% is no longer good enough. If we only make the right choice 7 out of every 10 times, what kind of service are we giving our people?

--- Good service requires eye contact. Treat people like you would want your family treated if you were not there. Go the extra mile.

--- We have knowledge and skills and abilities beyond that of the average person. Not everyone can do what we do. People call 9-1-1 when the problem is bigger than they are. We cannot judge people by what we would do. The longer we do this job, the more knowledge we gain and the less tolerance we have. If we do not have empathy, we become bitter.

--- Reciprocity is one of the four feelings that drive human behavior. People like to give back to those who give to them. When someone thanks us, we should never tell them we are just doing our job. Instead we should say, "I am glad I could be here. I love doing this and I know you would do the same for me."

--- Treat people like they matter. Give them their money's worth. Always look like you are hurrying and always look like you care. Display professionalism. Your confidence comes from how you look. It matters if the unit is clean; if it is dirty they think you're dirty. It matters if you look sloppy; they think your work is sloppy. You must BE good before you can tell people about it. You are always judged by your lowest member.

--- Leadership means you can stand for something. Stand for excellence in treatment and care. A bad experience will have people telling 10 others who will turn around and tell two more. A good experience and they tell only two. That means we have to do it right 15 times for every bad time just to break even. Our credibility comes from integrity and honesty. Always do the right thing and always tell the truth.

--- If you hire the head and the heart, you can always train the hands.

--- It is a privilege to do what we do. It is our responsibility to act appropriately and it reflects on all others of the same profession. We can't fall down on the little stuff. This may be our 100th family disturbance but it may be their first and we need to keep that in mind. Be helpful to people in stress. What we do is life or death, when it matters, we can't afford to be wrong.

Taken from a conference speech by Chief Jeff Johnson of the Tualatin, Oregon Fire Department.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I like that!

I made a vow to never get crusty - it's a daily challenge. But I do love being able to help people, and give them a little power back by passing on the knowledge I've gained.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    if you dont mind i copied that its going in the patrol room, thanks
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I'm stealing this as well. It is indeed words to live by.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Nice....a few of the guys around here need to read this...

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Did you guys ever see the speech Colonel Tim Collins gave to his troops? Fabulous speech made off the cuff. I'll post it here and apologise for the thread hijack.

We go to liberate, not to conquer.
    We will not fly our flags in their country
    We are entering Iraq to free a people and the only flag which will be flown in that ancient land is their own.
    Show respect for them.

There are some who are alive at this moment who will not be alive shortly.
    Those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send.
    As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.
    Wipe them out if that is what they choose.
    But if you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory.

Iraq is steeped in history.
    It is the site of the Garden of Eden, of the Great Flood and the birthplace of Abraham.
    Tread lightly there.

You will see things that no man could pay to see
    -- and you will have to go a long way to find a more decent, generous and upright people than the Iraqis.
    You will be embarrassed by their hospitality even though they have nothing.

Don't treat them as refugees for they are in their own country.
    Their children will be poor, in years to come they will know that the light of liberation in their lives was brought by you.

If there are casualties of war then remember that when they woke up and got dressed in the morning they did not plan to die this day.
    Allow them dignity in death.
    Bury them properly and mark their graves.

It is my foremost intention to bring every single one of you out alive.
    But there may be people among us who will not see the end of this campaign.
    We will put them in their sleeping bags and send them back.
    There will be no time for sorrow.

The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction.
    There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of hell for Saddam.
    He and his forces will be destroyed by this coalition for what they have done.
    As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity.

It is a big step to take another human life.
    It is not to be done lightly.
    I know of men who have taken life needlessly in other conflicts.
    I can assure you they live with the mark of Cain upon them.

If someone surrenders to you then remember they have that right in international law and ensure that one day they go home to their family.
    The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please.

If you harm the regiment or its history by over-enthusiasm in killing or in cowardice, know it is your family who will suffer.
    You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest -- for your deeds will follow you down through history.
    We will bring shame on neither our uniform or our nation.

As for ourselves, let's bring everyone home and leave Iraq a better place for us having been there.

Our business now is north.

Copyright Tim Collins, 2003
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Thread Information