Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over

I need some help.

Is there a device that could be installed on emergency vehicle's that would shut another vehicle's stereo off/down when the emergency vehicle nears with lights and siren on? I was speaking with a neighbor who is a paramedic. She thought that there were devices like this being used in Europe. In Arkansas this year alone we have lost 8 medics from accidents where the other party did not yield to the ambulance. I was thinking this might be something that could be fitted onto all Emergency vehicles. I know I have people all the time not yielding to me and I think it's due partly to the fact of the stereo's and the cars being so sound proof these days. If anyone has information on this I would appreciate it.
    Stay safe out there.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I've never heard of that.

I'm only familiar with the device that switches traffic lights to green for incoming emergency vehicles.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    I've never heard of that.

I'm only familiar with the device that switches traffic lights to green for incoming emergency vehicles.

It's probably a dumb ideal but I had someone just to day almost hit me in an intersection. If I had not been paying extra attention it would have been a bad day.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Closest thing I can think of would be a jammer that would just change it to static instead of music. That wouldnt help with CDs etc...

I dont believe there is anyway to physically turn "off" stereos from a distance, especially older models with a definite click to the knob.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bufford408
    Is there a device that could be installed on emergency vehicle's that would shut another vehicle's stereo off/down when the emergency vehicle nears with lights and siren on? I was speaking with a neighbor who is a paramedic. She thought that there were devices like this being used in Europe. In Arkansas this year alone we have lost 8 medics from accidents where the other party did not yield to the ambulance. I was thinking this might be something that could be fitted onto all Emergency vehicles. I know I have people all the time not yielding to me and I think it's due partly to the fact of the stereo's and the cars being so sound proof these days. If anyone has information on this I would appreciate it.
    Stay safe out there.
    It might be possible in Europe; they don't have many of the freedoms and controls on the government that we do, so they could possibly broadcast a signal to the car... But I doubt it.

Short of a short range jamming device (I know; they're making some for cell phones in theaters and the like, or at least talking about them), the only other way I could see that working is sending a signal to the radio that turns everything off. And, even then, as others noted, it would only work on "new enough" stereos that have a sensor...

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    just drive careful. slow down at the intersections folks are always gonna say i never saw the lights or heard the seiren
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Not heard of or used in this part of Europe. And over here people don't have to stop to let you pass.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Quote Originally Posted by bird1
    just drive careful. slow down at the intersections folks are always gonna say i never saw the lights or heard the seiren

It's not always the intersections that is the problem. But your right everyone needs to be more careful. Thanks everyone. I knew I had never heard of anything but told the neighbor I would ask.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bufford408
    Stay safe out there.
    I thought that I may have heard of someting Similar to this, but I think that it has to be installed into the cars system and would not be activated via the emergency vehicle. This is a major problem these day with newer cars being designed to keep noise out.
    It would be nice to see future regulation that requires vehicles to have these noise canceling devices installed. This link that I posted is interesting, let me know if it doesn’t work.....

http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/clas...ts/sonopticon/

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Signal_W
    Thats something that I honestly did not know. So what is the standard procedure for a motorist when they see emergency lights in the rear view mirror?
    Most likely the same as here----every jackass move under the sun except pulling to the shoulder and stopping.. And I dont blame the boom boxes as much as the damn cell phones.In the old days when you got behind a weaver you knew you had a dui.Now you know you've got a jerk trying to drive,talk on a cell,and eat his big mac at the same time.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    In the UK motorists are 'advised' to try to slow and allow Emergency vehicles to pass, when safe. Usually they just panic and slam on the brakes or stop next to a traffic island and not leave space to get through. In certain areas of London I've had vehicles deliberately block me on calls. Emergency service vehicles are allowed to exceed the speed limit and treat Red lights as Give Way signs, any thing else is at the drivers own risk. Having said that I've driven the wrong side of dual carriageways and along the pavement(sidewalk) down Oxford Street.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    I was responding Code 3 to a 911 hang up a couple months ago came to a stop at a stop sign at a blind (t) intersection was inching out to see around the building and almost got tboned by this jackass . Luckily I was inching out, otherwise I would be paying for a new Impala. People don't pay attention anymore while driving especially teenagers.
    Last edited by depusm12; 07-22-06 at 05:10 AM.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Thread Information