Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MisterK is offline Monkey Man

It's Official, the Voice Stress Analysis is BULLSHIT

So as I truck merrily along through the hiring process today I had the Voice Stress Analysis. Basically its a microphone that clips to your shirt and can supposedly tell which vocal cords you are using when you speak. The guy said you only use certain cords when you lie or are preparing to lie.

Ok... sounds weird.. but science is science.. fire away..

Well, two rounds later apparantly I partake in Pot, Cocaine, Meth and I pay for sex...

Fan Fucking Tastic...

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I have never heard of such a thing!! What BS! Do all the dept's near you do that? They don't here. That just sucks!!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Terminator is offline BANNED
    The sad part is, the Computer Voice Stress Analyzer is more accurate than the Polygraph.

They both suck in my opinion. If you can't use a lie detector to convict a criminal, how can it be used to determine whether or not a police candidate is hired, or lying?

I have a friend who's never even taken a sip of alcohol, much less drugs before....and the CVSA said he had used drugs, and was withholding information on his application. I know plenty others as well who've had bad experiences with both the CVSA and the Polygraph. To me, a very thorough background investigation completed by a skilled, experienced background investigator outta do the trick.

Keep your head up!

Quite frankly I couldnt tell coke from meth from a strawberry pop rock. Just hope it goes my way otherwise its their loss for relying on a machine to do what their BI should have.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    If they rely on that to hire you, do you get the same feeling I'm getting?:

It wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine that they'd rely on it to fire you too (just to cover their ass in an internal investigation). Then your reputation would be ruined.

Just a knee-jerk paranoid reaction to that BS on my part.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Heh - had to take the VSA for dispatch - I took things from work.

We thought (my hiring group)that part of the "test" was to see if you recover from being accused of lying.

A friend of mine failed a poly because he was accused of using "techniques" to beat it - he's just really brisk in his personality.

Hang in there toots!
    Last edited by Willowdared; 07-27-06 at 09:48 PM.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

nitestokker is offline Banned

Thumbs down

All that fancy techno-crap is a bunch of bullshit. Nothing can be substituted for body language and basic Kinesic Inverview Techniques. Whether it be job interviews or catching your loved one cheating, basic interrogation techniques and body language tell the whole story. I don't know why some employers have to resort to this lame james bond shit.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    VSA and Polygraph are BS. According to my screener, I lied about taking illegal drugs- and I never have... unless you count underage drinking. Hey, I wasn't born a cop.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Everyone seems to be ignoring the big reason they say you're failing the poly - they want to scare you into admitting something. If you don't start spitting out a bunch of stuff that you hadn't said before, you're probably free and clear. The guy that did my poly accused me of armed robbery, and asked if I knew anything about why it would show me as having committed a major crime. I stammered and looked confused enough that he finally said he was going to give me the benefit of the doubt. Don't sweat it if you're done and not in cuffs

nitestokker is offline Banned
    There are many ways to beat a poly, also.....If you really do have something to hide. Just part of advanced Interview/Interrogation techniques...........If you ever make it that far. Pretty interesting stuff, but I can't elaborate to non-certs and the general public. We'll talk later.................

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Personally I think everyone should know how to beat the poly. If everyone did, it would no longer be used.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    CVSA is garbage. And there's plenty of science to support it. The underlying "theory" is that stress produces "microquavers" in your voice. So, by analyzing the voice patterns, you can detect stress... and what have you got to be stressed about if you're telling the truth? Yeah, the poly works on the same idea -- but at least a poly measures 4 different physiological response. And tests have confirmed the accuracy of a poly, for certain uses. (That don't include the background fishing expedition...)

Can you appeal? Can you offer to take a real poly?

You can find some info on both tests at the following sites:
    http://daubertontheweb.com/
    http://www.polygraph.org/betasite/apa5rev.htm
    http://www.kinesic.com/

No appeal... basically he goes over it with his partner and sgt.. then they make a decision...

The only reason I think that he wasn't just psyching me out was because he showed me the bars of my chart and which questions they were attached to. Who knows, that might just be more of that advanced stuff.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Cheech Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    No appeal... basically he goes over it with his partner and sgt.. then they make a decision...

The only reason I think that he wasn't just psyching me out was because he showed me the bars of my chart and which questions they were attached to. Who knows, that might just be more of that advanced stuff.
    MisterK Sorry about that bro....it may be to make you admit stuff though...ive heard that throughout the valley that everyone was showing being deceptive...So who knows.. they got hired

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    Mr K:

Don't sweat it just yet. I've taken two and they both sounded identical to what you said, showed me the bars and threatened me and the whole nine yards.

It is a technique that they use to try and enduce more information out of you. Trust me, most of the time that they do this, they are fishing for bullshit.

Don't be surprised if they say you passed. Anyone who knows anything about this stuff will tell you that the lie detector is really the person behind the machine.

You'll be fine...........and besides, if you don't get hired, I believe Burger King is looking for qualified people............HA HA!

j/k, you'll be fine.
    When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by dlefdal
    and besides, if you don't get hired, I believe Burger King is looking for qualified people............HA HA!
    Don't forget Wal-Mart Loss Prevention!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Well, I took a polygraph today with a different department. I appear to be paranoid about drug use because the polygrapher said that I nearly "hyperventilated" when asked if my drug use "exceed what you have disclosed to me."

I don't know what it is, I don't know if I was nervous from the voice stress analysis, if I have some phobia about my drug use or what..

All I know is I am pretty down in the dumps on this whole thing.

1 is a fluke.. 2 is a pattern.. I feel like my whole LEO career is flushing down the toilet in front of me and I don't know why.
    Theodore Roosevelt

katiemh Guest
    Dude, that sucks. I don't know what to tell you. I'm so glad my department doesn't do either. I'd be paranoid about my drug use too and it's pretty much because I have NO history of drug use. There are departments that don't use it and think it's total BS... go find one of those and apply if you can (not sure if you're restricted to a certain city or what-not).

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    here in mn, depts cant use those for hiring. THANK GOD!!!!
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    Well, I took a polygraph today with a different department. I appear to be paranoid about drug use because the polygrapher said that I nearly "hyperventilated" when asked if my drug use "exceed what you have disclosed to me."

I don't know what it is, I don't know if I was nervous from the voice stress analysis, if I have some phobia about my drug use or what..

All I know is I am pretty down in the dumps on this whole thing.

1 is a fluke.. 2 is a pattern.. I feel like my whole LEO career is flushing down the toilet in front of me and I don't know why.

Keep your head up man, things will turn around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information