Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

WTF is wrong with people??

OK, I co-own a bookstore. Nice, quiet job, right? Well, today was different. My mother (one of the other partners) spotted a 6 year old trying to snatch our outgoing mail from the mailbox, so she stepped outside to see what was going on. She told the kid (perhaps a bit rudely, but he WAS trying to steal a bill payment) that the mail wasn't his, and furthermore it was against the law to try and take it.

Enter the kid's idiot mother. Does she fuss at her kid for the attempted theft? Nope. Her little angel didn't know it was wrong! (Lady, he's in first grade, doesn't he understand about not stealing other people's stuff?) Oh, and if you were wondering where she was before this, she was standing behind her car (a good 40 foot from the mailbox) yakking on her cell phone. And this is NOT a nice parking lot, we share it with a gas station among other things. Anyway, this woman starts verbally jumping all over my mother, literally screaming about how her baby didn't know it was wrong and how DARE my mother yell at the precious! Well, my mom shut the door.

End of story, right? I wish.

The woman then comes in my store, still yelling at my mother. My mom is sixty has even less patience than I do. So you can imagine that it got kind of loud in there. I came out from behind the counter and got between them. I ordered my mother to her office and was blocking the woman's progress to follow her. I then expressed my regret over the entire incident.

You could feel her IQ drop with this next act.

Yep, she launched her tirade against me. Idiocy at its finest. I dropped the nice veneer I normally wear and stared her down. She was still yelling, but she was backing up. I'd step forward, she'd step back. "I'M NEVER GOING TO SHOP HERE AGAIN!" My reply? A nice, simple "Good." Because I didn't know this brain dead harpy from Adam's housecat. She wasn't one of my customers. My dearest wish was that she would shut up and get the hell out of my store. So I backed her, step at a time, out the door. And shut it behind her.

OK, so yeah, part of me wished she'd try to assault me. I hadn't had a real fight in a while, and DAMN this woman needed an ass kicking, but the paperwork would have buried me for a while and my store didn't need that kind of PR. So I held steady and just got her out of there.

My dad brought up an interesting idea later on though. He was thinking that maybe the mother was using the kid as a device to get information for identity theft. I don't know, but his mother sure pissed me off.

I've rediscovered sense of distain for humanity.

And I thought bookstores were supposed to be quiet.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Not in your world, Ducks. You are a genuine poopoo magnet. Don't you wish you were me right then?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Ducks,guess what ,I dont know your age but in the late 50s'or early60s' there was a tv show with Robert Young called father knows best.Guess what its'TRUE.That woman was no doubt telling the child to go get "her" mail and when caught was trying to scare you and your mom so you wouldn't call the PoPo ,.I beleive the "Bard" Mr.W.Shakespere put it this way "Methinks thou protest to loudly".As to how you handled it? Excellent job,yeah ,she is pissed and will tell her "friends" so now they will all know you are not an easy "mark" (by the way ,dont you hate people that keep using " to make a point)anyway keep an eye on all your accounts to make sure this was not the first time!

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    should have just called me ducky....sounds like the 6 year old needs to already be in our system....and as far as the mother goes....doc all the way, lol
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    yeah.........girlfight........ .I'll get the jello and Ducky and the mama san can wrestle it out!

When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    You shoulda walked out in full chain mail and a BIG ASS sword....
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    CountyFourteen, if she hadn't backed up, you'd have been called. I don't need to get in a scrap over a loudmouth, that's NOT the way I generally get my name in the paper.

dlefdal, I'll admit every so often that I'm maybe not as hideous as I sometimes say I am. But you did NOT want to see this woman. Her mouth opened wide enough to swallow a bug. A VW Beetle, to be exact.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

MrDucky is offline Ducky's Backup
    Well DuckyBabe, You know what I deal with on a regular basis. And since it's retail (a BIG name retail at that) , just standing up for yourself is a good way to get a nice big Pinkslip. I find myself time after time having to apologise for something I don't believe in or have any control of for someone most of the time who's not doing there job well enough.

What your mom and You do for the local community will more than drown out whatever that poor excuse for a parent might have to say against the store. So No worries love...

Oh, by the way, Dinner is almost ready and the Back/neck rub will come after it settles a bit

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    You shoulda walked out in full chain mail and a BIG ASS sword....
    Note to self, keep sword behind the counter... but I do think the blade is over the legal limit for a public carry.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

DyckyBabe?

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    ducky....hmmm maybe I didn't say it....co owner...you can have a gun in your store...and there is no problem with the sword.......but I say just call us...
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Note to self, keep sword behind the counter... but I do think the blade is over the legal limit for a public carry.
    Shoulda just said you were offering it for sale in your private business...
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    you JUST rediscovered your disdain for humanity? i cant seem to get away from mine!!!!
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

Good reason why I just sit in my bed all day and talk to my dog.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2009
    Good reason why I just sit in my bed all day and talk to my dog.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm visual........................ ...

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    I'm impressed. You truly have a knack for attracting the bunch that is a few sandwiches of a picnic.

Better luck next time. Just wait for her kid to be a on wanted poster for mail fraud!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by zpd307
    you JUST rediscovered your disdain for humanity? i cant seem to get away from mine!!!!
    There was a time, not too long ago, when I had hopes that the entire human race wasn't destined to plummet headlong into a yawning abyss of greed and stupidity.

Hopes dashed. Pull the plug, doc.
    Last edited by Ducky; 08-01-06 at 10:29 PM.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    That Is Why I Hate People In General!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dlefdal
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm visual........................ ...
    You wanna come?
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Well, sorry you had a confrontation....but a 6 year old can't really form intent.

It's possible the Mom put him up to it, or that she was doing what many parents do these days, be offensive as a form of defense.

P.S. - Don't put outgoing mail out - especially bills - take it directly to the Post Office. Stealing bills is a common way for dirt bags to steal identities, and they wash the check and write out amounts to themselves.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information