Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quiting smoking

ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

quiting smoking

after smoking since i was 16( iam now 38) ive finally had enough ,anybody else managed to quit? any words of encouragement is appreciated, so far been 30 hrs. thanks
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    You using gum, a patch, or a pill of some kind? Keep it up, it's worth it big time!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    MrDucky's working to quit too. I got him both the patch and gum, and the gum seems to help, but I may have to hold him down and slap a patch on his butt. He's been reluctant.

My ex father in law managed to quit after something like 30 years with the help of a medication from the doctor, but I'm not sure what it was.

Congrats and WTG! We know you can do it!
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I'll walk outside and smoke it over....last time I tried to quit my wife threw cigs at me...cause I am such a bear....and the head ache just wouldn't go away...till I smoked just one....well now back smoking regular again...geez
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I had a couple of things that helped me. One, I remembered how miserable that first 24 hours was and didn't want to go through that again. Then how bad the first 48 hrs were, etc. It will get easier as you go, but remember that if you smoke one cigarette, you're back to zero.

Also, everytime I was dying for a cigarette, I put off the decision to smoke for 10 minutes. Usually by the time the 10 minutes passed, the urge had gone. A few times in the first few days, it was all I could do to keep from going to the store and buying some, but I just refused to give in and gutted it out. It will be worth it in a few weeks, just hang in there. In a year or so, you'll really be glad you did.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quit over 20 years ago...

My friend and I quit together...we did tequila shooters and chain smoked 2 packs until we were green.

I can't drink tequila anymore either!

Good luck!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

dla4079 is offline Corporal
    Verified C/O

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ida40dj
    after smoking since i was 16( iam now 38) ive finally had enough ,anybody else managed to quit? any words of encouragement is appreciated, so far been 30 hrs. thanks
    Good luck and Congrats!

P.S. You might want to put the gun away for the first couple of days, lol. (Speaking from experience, I thought my wife was going to shoot me when I quit, lmao! )

Capt. D. Larimore
    NTISF Gang Unit

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ida40dj
    I have absolutely no idea what it feels like since I've never smoked a day in my life (I'll be 45 next month). Just the fact that you want to quit is a step in the right direction. When you feel the need to light one up, come back to LEF... the best support group around! Like RetDetSgt said, refuse to give in. Hang in there friend... you CAN do it! We KNOW you can!

TwanimusPrime is offline Moving on up...to the east side!
    Quit? hell, I just started a month ago :P Never thought I would do it, but helps me relax and deal with stress, Yeah, its bad, but I only go through a pack every 1-2 weeks. I never smoke on duty. Not to the point where I crave them or anything. if I get to a point where I can't get trhough a 12 hour shift without one, then I'll quit. But for now, any legal destressing aide I can get, I'll take.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Gum, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. I quit 18 years ago, have since taken up diping..... Ah well, fuck it

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    Quote Originally Posted by TwanimusPrime
    Quit? hell, I just started a month ago :P Never thought I would do it, but helps me relax and deal with stress, Yeah, its bad, but I only go through a pack every 1-2 weeks. I never smoke on duty. Not to the point where I crave them or anything. if I get to a point where I can't get trhough a 12 hour shift without one, then I'll quit. But for now, any legal destressing aide I can get, I'll take.

As a current smoker, I highly recommend you stop. That's how smoking starts. I used to only smoke a few a day, and then a few more..... Now I smoke a pack a day after cutting back from 2.

If you want a destressing aid, try beer. I'd take that over a cigarette any day. You can always try exercise if you get really stressed out, but take it one step at a time. That's pretty extreme.

TwanimusPrime is offline Moving on up...to the east side!
    Quote Originally Posted by lesta311
    As a current smoker, I highly recommend you stop. That's how smoking starts. I used to only smoke a few a day, and then a few more..... Now I smoke a pack a day after cutting back from 2.

If you want a destressing aid, try beer. I'd take that over a cigarette any day. You can always try exercise if you get really stressed out, but take it one step at a time. That's pretty extreme.
    hah, who says beer isn't part of the equation. I told my parents I'd quit if they did (been 20+ year smokers) So if they love my lungs enough they will :P

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over

Cool

Good Luck
    Last edited by bufford408; 08-03-06 at 09:42 AM.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    MrDucky's working to quit too... I may have to hold him down and slap a patch on his butt.
    That would work for me... With or without the patch... At least for a few minutes

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO

Thumbs up up in smoke

heroin helps take the edge off just a litte. if that don't work try crack. for me the first week was the worse time. 15yrs later and i hardly ever want one. just keep at it and don't give up.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Good for you on quitting!! My mom quit cold turkey after 25 years of smoking. She used the patch for little bit, and then went straight to the gum. She has been smoke-free for 10 years now. You CAN do it!!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I quit cold turkey. I smoked cig after cig until it made me sick. When I had the urge I ate nacho cheese sunflower seeds.

Quitting was the best thing I ever did!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    My chief ia doing the hypnosis. Says it worked for him once, about 5 years ago. Then he walked into a bad murder scene. He had been off the things for three years prior to that though. Keep up the excersise routine though. The pounds are going to be coming.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

mainedawg is offline da dawg
    I am on day 7 of quitting smoking. My wife was suppose to quit with me, but couldn't do it. That makes it hard for me. Use what ever it takes to help you stop. I use the gum in 2 and 4 mg or grams what ever it is and that works good. Cut them into four pieces and chew the shit out of them. That way it's not the whole piece of gum at once. I used the patch at first, but stopped day 4 with them. Just do what ever helps you. I am using long cut dip, and some chew. Not much, just when I feel like I will run for an ashtray and lick it.

It is real nice to sit here and not need to light up. One last thing that also helps me. I suck in a large lung full of air fast, and let it out slowly. It gives me a quick rush.

DO whatever it takes to stop the stupid habit of sucking in smoke to your lungs. It is the worst habit that I love and hate at the same time. It will get easier.

ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    just to update 48 hrs so far, i did start a workout program about two weeks ago as well as being on "the abs diet" from mens health the eating better and drinking lots of water seems to be making it alot easier this time. tryed to quit like 6 times before, wife quit two yrs ago so that helps, i hate for her to win. lol, also my autistic son has stole my cigs and acts like he was gonna smoke one, that was enough to throw em away.
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information