Welcome to the APBWeb.
    BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO

What are your thoughts

Watch this video and state your thoughts on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baix0Xa9x3o

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Are you serious?

I am messing with ya, BEK. I am not sure the father of the perp is going to have anything to stand on in court. Seems pretty sut and dry to me. Trooper is out on his own, not really getting much cooperation, perp jumps him, fires one shot (obvious intent), struggling, shoots perp. Not much to argue on that one.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    I'd like to watch the video without the editing and narration; it's difficult to make out what's happening and the audio could be revealing without being talked over.

Assuming they found the guy's gun on the scene, seems totally justified to me. A guy with a gun is resisting arrest and the trooper is clearly struggling to get him under control, seems to me that it adds up to a very real threat against the trooper's life. Because of the editing I really couldn't make out the first gunshot, but regardless..he had a gun and was furtive when about to be searched.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    this may be a really dumb question and if it is.. I am sorry...

i work for the county... I guess because we are a squad we always are taking our traffic stops and within a min or so at least one of us drives by.. either on the way to another call or on a delay ect...
    i know that i do this for some of the city guys that are in our area and it seems that we just are not alone on traffic stops at all....
    is shp different? do they always take traffic alone because of manpower or something? I feel so bad for that officer being alone and having to struggle for his life like that.. thank god he is ok!

it all happened so fast.. this guy was so nervous from the get go... geesh...

totally justified... i dont care who said what.. you have a gun you tell me and we deal with it like adults... if not... that is on you (well him)
    shame really...
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I agree with the dirtbag's dad- the dirtbag didn't have to die. He could have not tried to kill a police officer and he'd be alive to this day.

If I was that cop I'd counter-sue the parents for giving birth to the scumbag POS oxygen-thief to begin with.

I think the Trooper did it and lived, so he did it right.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    Bad guy has gun, tries to kill trooper (who is doing his job). Trooper lets air out of bad guy. Father is sad, he calls a lawyer; Lawyer sees dollar signs from a nuisance lawsuit.
    State will probably settle out of court, to avoid trial.
    Moral: If you want to make money off your kid, send him to lawschool or don't raise him worth a shit.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    The only thing that concerns me slightly is that the video makes it look like the trooper drew his gun rather casually.

I'm not sure what to make of that, but I suspect it's because the film was in slow-motion, which it was in the scene before that. So I'm with Andrew - No aldulteration of the video!!!

EDIT - Yep, slow motion - Look at the flashing light. Justified!!!
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 08-09-06 at 08:37 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    Looks to me like the Trooper was either getting tired or felt as if he was not going to be able to control the POS who had already fired a shot. Send him to hell and let the devil sort it out.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    The old man should just keep his mouth shut, and leave it alone.

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2

I agree. I don't know how I would feel. I guess maybe he is just wanting to blame someone.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2
    The old man is obviously upset over the loss of his son and I can appreciate the whole family loss thing, etc. It's sad it had to come to that. I'm sure the officer was less than thrilled about having to put down some dirtbag on the side of a road, and now he has to deal with this BS lawsuit? C'mon... this is a no brainer.

Punk w/ a gun, fights w/ cop, fires gun at cop during struggle.... the only question that needs to be asked here is, "Officer, how many bullets do you need to top off that shooter and get back on the road?"

The old man will undoubtedly get something from this though. How come I never hear about the families of slain officers suing the shitheads and the families who raised shitheads who shoot at cops?

"Stupid should hurt."

Quote Originally Posted by bufford408
    I agree. I don't know how I would feel. I guess maybe he is just wanting to blame someone.
    Yeah, well, he's blaming the wrong individual. Instead of blaming the Trooper, he should be blaming his son. He may not care what the video shows, but, like it or not, the video tells the story. His 26 year old son acted irresponsible and it cost him his life... end of story.

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    me and who i work with sometimes stay fairly close to each other withing 10-15 miles but most of the time you are on your on.

Guys ~

I can see how my posts regarding this unfortunate incident would have you believe I'm cold hearted. This is not the case at all. While I'm a mother myself, and couldn't bear the thought of losing one of my children, I'm also one who tries never to look at life through rose colored glasses. In other words, I see the picture for what it is, and I call it how I see it. While I would like to think this father is truly grieving over the loss of his son, it's hard to say. Or is it?

This is the problem I'm having. While the video clearly shows what happened, the father denies the truth; instead, justifying the actions of his 26 year old son. I base this solely on the fact that, according to the narrator, he doesn't care what the video shows. Excuse me? What does this say regarding HIS character? No doubt, the decision to shoot was not a spur of the moment thing since, according to the narrator, the struggle continued for several minutes. I agree with bufford... the Trooper was either getting tired or felt he was losing control of the situation; otherwise, he would never have let it go on for as long as he did. Then, again, I wasn't there so who knows? I simply call it how I see it. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but I will make no apologies.

The truth is this 26 year old man was in the wrong. Had he simply acted like a responsible adult, he would most likely be alive today. For what it's worth, I'm sorry his life was cut so short. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a mother. I'm also a parent. As parents we must let our adult children take responsibility for their actions. To sue in this case is wrong, and I have no respect for this father whatsoever.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    CB2 is absolutely right. It's a growing trend that continues to get worse among parents- it's the lack of acknowledgement of parental responsibility. The dad of this dirtbag can't bear the thought that his POS son might actually be due to his upbringing. If he acknowledges that, then he'd acknowledge he's a bad parent.

However, it's not just the parent's fault every time (just most of the time, IMO). Personally, I don't think my parents did that great of a job bringing me up, but I turned out okay (relatively speaking) in spite of it. So, theoretically, the opposite could be true.

But the overall point is- in any police deadly force situation, the bad guy dictates the outcome by his actions. Period. If he hadn't fought with the cop, he wouldn't have gotten killed. And yes, dad, it is just that simple.

We live in such a litigious society that it's almost always a guarentee that when you kill or seriously injure a bad guy, no matter what the circumstances, you're going to get sued. No matter what.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I feel sorry for the Trooper! Do you know how hard it is to get blood out of your Uniform?
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 60259
    The old man will undoubtedly get something from this though. How come I never hear about the families of slain officers suing the shitheads and the families who raised shitheads who shoot at cops?

AMEN! We are all sick and tired of these scumbags' parents profiting over the inevitable death of their POS sons!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Cities should fight groundless lawsuits like this instead of settling - Settling lawsuits out of court is why Police Departments have liabiality paranoia.

As a volunteer, I think liabiality paranoia sucks. Volunteers are treated like felons.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CopsRCool302 Guest
    My Heart goes out to the Officer, it's not easy to take a life, But this whole thing could have turned around, and we would be mourning a death of a police Officer instead.

that ass had killing on his mind when he fired that gun, it makes me sick that parents think they can make a buck off of crap like this.. VIDEO NEVER LIES!

The Officer done his job, I feel for Him and his family...

stay safe

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Another BS lawsuit. Fortunately the Trooper is okay, we've all watched too many videos with far different outcomes (the kind of outcome I was initially expecting this video to have as well).

This one looks about as cut and dry as possible. I can't see any reason that the suspect's family would have any chance of winning this suit (of course, these days you never know... it has certainly happened around here to good officers who made reasonable decisions when faced with extraordinary events).

Thread Information