Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Directing Traffic

Whats the problem officer, TRAFFIC, yes TRAFFIC...............

So for those of you who have spent time in an intersection cursing at people, woops I mean directing people in a professional manner, know what I am talking about for those of you who don't listen.

If you really have nothing to do and this goes for cops as well as those not officers, deputies or whatever grab a lawn chair and go to any wreck site or intersection were the lights dont work, hell bring a friend. Why you ask because your in for a treat, watching a cop direct traffic is really funny, serious. Frist you watch how things are so calm and everything is under control, but not for long. Eventually some dumbass will come along and not pay any attention to the orders that are being given. You try to be nice and professional but that shit only last so long. I believe if someone was standing out in front of the road telling me to stop and they where in my way I might apply my brakes and stop. But oh no they swerve around you or about hit you cause for the life of them they cant figure out why your in the roadway. "just thought it would be a cool place to hangout lady". Whats the best is the old, i mean old people who come through with a scared look on there faces and dont have a clue what to do, so they go as fast as they can. Best thing in the world is Florida where they can make the old farts retake there drivers test and take away their drivers license. I could go on and on but why bother, i'm tired!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

And in case you don't speak Latin.......If you want peace, prepare for war.

I've been places, seen and done things that would make most cry. I've fought along side and against better men then most I come across day to day, i've put my life on the line more then once for things you take for granted and for those you have lost respect for. I don't tell you this for your pity or respect but for you to remember me.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    haha! It's one of the most dangerous things you guys do. I had to do it once for training - in the rain at dusk. Scared the poop outta me.

I direct traffic now for hocky games and graduations here at the university and that SUCKS!! I can only imagine for a crash, fire, or something. Ick.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

chris2001 is offline Captain
    In KS I also have the ability to send them to retake their drivers test its a beautiful thing .
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

It is! I wish SC would do the samething. But really its just not old people its alot of other dumbasses behind the wheel.

I've been places, seen and done things that would make most cry. I've fought along side and against better men then most I come across day to day, i've put my life on the line more then once for things you take for granted and for those you have lost respect for. I don't tell you this for your pity or respect but for you to remember me.

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    Ill be at few of the Clemson games this year directing traffic. Through 8 years you name it and I have thrown it at people ( whistle's, flashlight, ticketbook etc). And Im known to put people in time out. Ill have them pull to the side and tell them I will be right with them. Then about 20 minutes later Ill tell them to leave.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by THE LAW
    Ill be at few of the Clemson games this year directing traffic. Through 8 years you name it and I have thrown it at people ( whistle's, flashlight, ticketbook etc). And Im known to put people in time out. Ill have them pull to the side and tell them I will be right with them. Then about 20 minutes later Ill tell them to leave.
    One time after being almost hit about 6 times I almost threw an Ultra Stinger at a maroon Impala when the Trooper finally hit his blue lights. He thought it would be funny to act like a blue hair in his unmarked...........needless to say he didnt know what kind of night I had
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

I love the "timeout" do it often. Here is alittle of agrevation right back at ya!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    In KS I also have the ability to send them to retake their drivers test its a beautiful thing .
    I wish I could do that!

I've looked and I've looked... I can't find the code section that a lot of these drivers have read. The one that allows them to make a "right turn on officer." So...I've got my back turned, I'm dealing with the cars coming at me, and I start to send someone to make a left... And I glance over my shoulder, and some moron is turning in there where I'm about to send the car!

But... I've also used the "penalty box." Hey - YOU! Pull over there, wait for me!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Tim, I take it there was some SNAFU around here? Or did I miss some monumental event? And yeah, the old rich ones are the worst. Anyone who was involved with voting our little town as one of the 10 ten places to retire in the US needs a good slap.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    i hate traffic control. i have trouble keeping my cool. one night had 2 cars involed in a head-on. 3 ambulances, 3 fire trucks, 5 squad cars all with lights just-a-flashing. had the n/b lanes blocked with two lanes of cars. this fine citizen decides that all this did not effect her. i advised her f/b that i was fed up with you people. (memphis drivers). She got upset. she had to wait a long time.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    About half the time, I have as much problems with the FD as with citizens. Hmm, lets park the truck in the middle of the road and block both lanes.
    As far as citizens go, my favorite is when there are barriers up, signs, flares, and you are waving directions and they still stop and ask if they can go through. Repeat after Nancy Reagan. Just say no. No means no.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    No means maybe? Accelerate?

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    The state guard and VF around here help us alot at wreck scenes. VF do traffic control on most avg. collision scenes and if he are shutting something down for a while the state guard will come out.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu
    About half the time, I have as much problems with the FD as with citizens. Hmm, lets park the truck in the middle of the road and block both lanes.
    As a police officer and a Vollie on the FD let me just say................NOTHING protects your ass like a big ass fire truck.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    Reminds me of a few weeks ago... DUI wreck with a few illegal immigrant landscapers.. 2 of the 3 are being backboarded and loaded.. the driver is making a run for it through the Nevada desert... helicopters landing on the road.. 2 fire trucks.. few ambulances..

Im holding everyone back.. traffic is blocked for quite a ways..

Woman gets out of her car.. walks all the way up to the front and says "HEY! I need to get to work! Can I get through here or what?!"
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTim
    Why you ask because your in for a treat, watching a cop direct traffic is really funny, serious. Frist you watch how things are so calm and everything is under control, but not for long. Eventually some dumbass will come along and not pay any attention to the orders that are being given. You try to be nice and professional but that shit only last so long.
    Oh that was me today. Had a wreck for over an hour out directing. The FD closed the southbound two lanes, and the one northbound lane. I diverted all northbound traffic turn right to the east. Simple enough, you think.

The westbound-to-southbound traffic was then instructed to simply turn right (to north) up a block to the stoplight where they can then turn and loop around the long way to get where they go. Moron after moron puts on the left signal to indicate they want to occupy the same space as the big fire truck blocking the said three lanes of road traffic.

I swear I could tow one of those arrow sign trailers behind the squad, set it up and flash it and a dozen people will still not think the sign applys to "me".

Ugh.

"smile and wave boys, smile and wave".

Non LEOs- dont be that guy.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    Woman gets out of her car.. walks all the way up to the front and says "HEY! I need to get to work! Can I get through here or what?!"[/QUOTE]

sure just a short by the local jail first.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I work in Florida, in a county with a high retirement population. I have always said that if for some reason, I just snap, and start shooting at work... It's going to be caused by directing traffic. I think Deadly force should be an acceptable means to correct people's driving while directing traffic. I figure an M-60 with about 3000 rounds of ammo in a crate by my feet, fed by belt, and me standing at an intersection would do the trick. Unload on whoever did something stupid.

Directing traffic does piss me off though when I have to do it at major intersections. At night, when I have my gear on and I'm controlling a small to medium size intersection, I'll actually enjoy it. I'll really fuck with people then that piss me off.

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I was directing traffic one night, while my partner and a couple of other officers were handling a motor vehicle crash in the corner of the intersection. The traffic light was busted due to the crash with the signal box, so I take position to direct traffic.

After about 10 people disregarding me, I had a woman yaking on her cell phone in a caddy pull up to the intersection. I looked her in the eyes, blew whistle, and got her to stop. Got the two lanes beside her to stop, and had just turned my back on her to get the north south lanes flowing, when I turn to see the caddy passing very close to me. I spun around and hurled my flashlight at her, and threw it hard enough I busted out her taillight. She pulls over and is getting out to come screaming over, when my partner and my Lt. grabbed her and pulled her to the curb telling her "He's directing traffic, you can come talk to us." Needless to say, my Lt. personally wrote the ticket to her. He gave her a cite for failure to obey, no insurance, tags were expired, viol. of inspection, driving while distracted, and he gave her a warning to get her tail light fixed.

She actually told my Lt. that she thought she could go because I wasn't looking at her anymore.

I ended up breaking my flashlight and traffic wand, which wasn't cool, but otherwise, that was a fun night.
    Last edited by Radar; 08-25-06 at 11:33 AM.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information