Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Nebraska tries to oust trooper linked to Klan

Nebraska tries to oust trooper linked to Klan

Arbiter says state was wrong to fire officer who joined supremacist groups
    The Associated Press

Updated: 9:33 p.m. ET Aug 26, 2006
    OMAHA, Neb. - Robert Henderson was not fired as a state trooper because he belonged to the Ku Klux Klan and another white supremacist group, authorities said.

Instead, he was ousted because he could not uphold public trust while participating in such groups, they said.

An arbitrator disagreed, ordering the State Patrol to reinstate Henderson within 60 days and pay him back wages. The state went to court Friday to keep him off the force.

“The integrity of Nebraska’s law enforcement is at risk,” Attorney General Jon Bruning said at news conference in Lincoln. “The Constitution does not require law enforcement to employ anyone tied to the KKK.”

In a summary of the causes for firing Henderson in March, the State Patrol said membership in the KKK “seriously compromised” Henderson’s ability to do his job.

Henderson and the state troopers union appealed and, under its contract, went to binding arbitration, to get his job back.

Arbitrator Paul J. Caffera, a New York lawyer, last week overturned the firing.

He said Henderson was entitled to his First Amendment rights of free speech and that the state violated the troopers’ contract, in part when it fired Henderson “because of his association with the Knights Party ... and the Ku Klux Klan.”

According to a copy of Caffera’s ruling, Henderson was interviewed by a patrol captain in February. He confirmed he had been a member of the Knights Party since June 2004 and made postings on its members-only Web site while off-duty.

Joined KKK after wife left him
    Henderson also said he had joined the KKK, according to the arbitrator’s report. He did so, he said, for two reasons: His wife had “divorced him for a minority” and the KKK gave him an avenue to vent his frustration.

Attempts to reach Henderson on Friday were unsuccessful. The state troopers union refused to comment, referring calls to its attorney, Vincent Valentino.

Valentino said Henderson has resigned his Knights Party membership and apologized to the State Patrol commander, Col. Bryan Tuma. The attorney also said Bruning and Tuma blew Henderson’s membership and activities out of proportion.

“Bob Henderson wasn’t running around in a sheet and hood,” he said.

Besides, Valentino said, “State employees have a right to think in private what they think.”

Tuma said a review of Henderson’s record showed no pattern of bias or misconduct against minorities.

“There were no concerns whatsoever that he was engaged in any profiling or any biased treatment of any minority,” he said.

Nonetheless, Bruning said, “This trooper can join the KKK, but he can’t remain a trooper while he is a member.”

I just wonder what some people think.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    We've always had a few officers who were sorta on the fringe of the right wing. One was a member of the John Birch Society. For those unfamiliar with it, it used to put up billboards that said "Bankrupt Communisim, Repeal the Income Tax". I've had several confide in my some white supremicist views and one guy we have on now is the treasurer of the Constitution Party, a pretty far right wing group.

But none have ever caused any problems at work with their beliefs.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Yeah but those guys don’t burn crosses on your front lawn, or hang you if you disagree with them.
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Hmmm, how do I feel on a moral level?

He shouldn't be in law enforcement.

On a legal level?

I think all government agencies require an oath, and usually have "lifestyle" restrictions in the terms of employment to ensure you aren't doing something that would disgrace the uniform.

How can you uphold the Constitution at work, and entertain ways to violate it on your off-duty hours?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Terminator is offline BANNED
    If he did this in N.C., he'd have been fired.

All LEO's are asked, mandatory, during the hiring process here if they have a problem with minorities, and if they belong to any hate groups. That's grounds for an instant DQ.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcementForums
    If he did this in N.C., he'd have been fired.

All LEO's are asked, mandatory, during the hiring process here if they have a problem with minorities, and if they belong to any hate groups. That's grounds for an instant DQ.

I think that is the point right there. KKK is a known hate group, no matter how they say they have reformed and are no longer active in illegal activities. He opened his department up to enormous liability issues. Now that this is out in the public, how is he going to be able to maintain his job and still act in an impersonal, unbiased manner? Everytime he pulls over or talks to a minority, this is going to be thrown in his face.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    If he had done that in Ga. he would have been fired, but then ythere are very few unions in the state with any power. Ga. is an anti labor state, the Ga sheriff's assoc is very much opposed against unions further it is an at will state you, you are employed at the sheriff's will. If he is not mad at you , you work if not your fired, very course of action. As far as belonging to a subvesive group WE have a tough enough time fighting discimination complaints with out having someone in the Klan on the force lessening Our reputation in community. Now the only minority here in the mountains is redneck and well they just aren't organized yet.

IDBLTAP is offline "Donuts...are there anything they can't do?"
    I agree with conalabu. If he remains employed there the entire department will have a black eye.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Remember Mark Fuhrman?

Every case that goes to trial will come under scrutiny, every arrest he makes will be questioned.

How many dirt bags will walk because he'll have to admit on the stand that he belongs to a hate group?
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    So, I guess in Nebraska, according to the State Troppers Union, an Officer can be a member of the KKK. Does that mean that you could also belong to the Vice Lords, the Gangster Disciples, the Latin Kings, MS 13, or just about any "organization?" I'd be ashamed to be paying dues to the union that supports such nonsense.
    Last edited by keith720; 08-28-06 at 01:24 PM.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

K9ForLife is offline Banned
    I think the arbitrator should have a cross burned on his front lawn then have this dumbass officer respond to investigate it. See how he likes it then.

AngryBassets is offline Sgt. Phatas
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    --George Orwell
    NOTE: NJ Supreme Court no longer allows effective policing in the "Garden State". The above statement may not apply.

Thread Information