Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nitestokker is offline Banned

Who is Your Hero and Why?

Mine is Chuck Yeager, the test pilot. He was the baddest, most fearless son of a bitch I have ever heard of. He had no political views either way, he was a family man and he didn't give a shit what anyone thought about him. He just went up there and kicked some ass and got the job done. He was an international hero and acted like a regular guy who works at the local gas station. Those are the kind of people we need in office to change this world.
    Last edited by nitestokker; 09-07-06 at 09:31 PM.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    john stockdon an amazing man
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Magnum440 is offline Older Than Dirt
    Verified LEO
    I have to be brutally honest. My dad was, and always will be my hero. He was in law enforcement for 24 years. Not afraid of "anything", a stand up guy who people respected. A true family man. He didn't talk much, but you understood whatever it was he was trying to get across, and respected it. He has been gone for 36 years, and it seems like yesterday.
    Facta non verba
    "The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity — and that's not fair!" — Konrad Adenauer,

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    In all sincerity I have several heroes. My Father (RIP Dad) and my Mother are at the top of the list for showing me love and teaching me discipline and respect for others. My wife for her love and support when it seems I have no one else to turn to, and for keeping me from self destructing. My sister for always keeping me on the straight and narrow, and the rest of my family who I know I can always count on.

My heroes include people I have never met, soldiers who have fought so that I can have the opportunities that I have, like freedom and liberty. My heroes go to work every day so that our world is a better place, many of them wear uniforms similar to mine. Others are awaiting a call in a firehouse, ready to help at a moments notice.

You ask, “Who are my heroes?” Just take a look around, many of them are reading this post right now.

"Stupid should hurt."

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    My Aunt Karen was a pilot in Desert Storm and her plane was hit. She had to bail out over enemy territory and all she had was a small flask of whiskey, a pistol and a survival knife. She drank the whiskey on the way down so it would not break and then her parachute landed right in the middle of twenty enemy troops.
    She shot fifteen of them with the gun until she ran out of bullets, killed four more with the knife, 'till the blade broke and then she killed the last Iraqi with her bare hands."

The moral of the story?

"Stay the f--k away from Aunt Karen when she's been drinking."
    Last edited by snuffy2202; 09-08-06 at 10:10 AM.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.” – Jeff Cooper'

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    After 60259, everything else seems kind of weak. But I can agree with him.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    After 60259, everything else seems kind of weak. But I can agree with him.
    +1!
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.” – Jeff Cooper'

CopsRCool302 Guest
    My Hero is, those who put their lives on the line to keep my family safe, and those who died trying! may they NEVER be forgotten!

stay safe
    Last edited by CopsRCool302; 09-07-06 at 10:23 PM.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    My heroes are my parents, who taught me the value of honesty, respect, family, hard work, and to take nothing for granted. My dad because he was a good, honest cop for well over 30 years in a city that went through riots only months after he became a cop, earned his bachelor's and master's degrees while he was working and had a wife and small children, was (and still is) a good dad who loves his family more than anything, and was somehow always there when he needed to be. And my mom for being both parents during those times when he couldn't be.

My heroes are also all of the women and men whose many levels of self sacrifice allow us to sleep safely in our beds at night and will be there to help us if we need them.

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    My hero was my maternal grandfather, my dad was killed in an car accident when I was 5 yo. My mom worked alot until she got remarried years later, I spent alot of time with my grandparents. My grandfather taught me many things, he was a little rough, crude and old fashioned, but the one thing he taught me that stands out the most is to be true to yourself, your family and friends. He also taught me about firearms and knives. He was very proud when I joined the Navy, and I remember the last time I saw him alive. My brother was also joining the Navy and mom asked me to bring my extra uniform home so we could get some pictures of us together with grampa. I had to leave early to get to the airport and as I hugged him goodbye I saw tears in his eyes. When I asked him about it he shrugged it off and told me he was very proud of me and that my dad would be too. He died about a week later. I was one of his pallbearers in full dress blues. The thing I regret the most is he wasn't able to be there in person when I got my badge pinned on me. But I know he was looking down from Heaven telling everybody in sight, "That's my grandson". Sorry if i rambled a bit .
    Last edited by depusm12; 09-23-06 at 11:19 PM.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    I'm going to have to say Gozzy
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    I have hundreds of hero's. First and foremost is my father. He loved me with all his heart and I knew it! After all, I was his first child and the first daughter born to a family of five brothers. My father had a strong and positive sense of self and it showed in everything he said and did. Through him I learned integrity, honor, manners, appreciation, empathy (understanding), tolerance, fairness, compassion, generosity, respect, responsibility, and honesty. I also learned to love and trust. One very important lesson he taught me was how not to believe everything I was told. He would always say to me, “Feelings are the truth, even if you don’t understand them.” In other words, paying attention to my own feelings and beliefs about what is right and wrong will help me to always know the right thing to do. No doubt, the woman, wife, and mother that I am today is because of this one great man; I miss him terribly (he passed on in 1989). Love ya, Dad!

Who are the others you ask? They are the men and women who answered the call and gave their lives - the ultimate sacrifice for simply doing their jobs. While I did not know you, I am truly grateful for your dedication, mourning your death; never forgetting your sacrifice. My heroes are those who continue to answer the call - serving and protecting. My heroes are you. I will never forget you nor will I ever let you be forgotten. Thank you.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Quote Originally Posted by njpd View Post
    I'm going to have to say Gozzy
    awwww you are adorable...
    I was reading through these and I wish I could have a hero in a family member but it just wasn't so..
    I will add after thinking about it... of course all of those who protect me in this country.. but I figured that was an obvious one...
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    Quote Originally Posted by 60259 View Post
    In all sincerity I have several heroes. My Father (RIP Dad) and my Mother are at the top of the list for showing me love and teaching me discipline and respect for others. My wife for her love and support when it seems I have no one else to turn to, and for keeping me from self destructing. My sister for always keeping me on the straight and narrow, and the rest of my family who I know I can always count on.

My heroes include people I have never met, soldiers who have fought so that I can have the opportunities that I have, like freedom and liberty. My heroes go to work every day so that our world is a better place, many of them wear uniforms similar to mine. Others are awaiting a call in a firehouse, ready to help at a moments notice.

You ask, “Who are my heroes?” Just take a look around, many of them are reading this post right now.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to 60259 again.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post
    I have hundreds of hero's. First and foremost is my father. He loved me with all his heart and I knew it! After all, I was his first child and the first daughter born to a family of five brothers. My father had a strong and positive sense of self and it showed in everything he said and did. Through him I learned integrity, honor, manners, appreciation, empathy (understanding), tolerance, fairness, compassion, generosity, respect, responsibility, and honesty. I also learned to love and trust. One very important lesson he taught me was how not to believe everything I was told. He would always say to me, “Feelings are the truth, even if you don’t understand them.” In other words, paying attention to my own feelings and beliefs about what is right and wrong will help me to always know the right thing to do. No doubt, the woman, wife, and mother that I am today is because of this one great man; I miss him terribly (he passed on in 1989). Love ya, Dad!

Who are the others you ask? They are the men and women who answered the call and gave their lives - the ultimate sacrifice for simply doing their jobs. While I did not know you, I am truly grateful for your dedication, mourning your death; never forgetting your sacrifice. My heroes are those who continue to answer the call - serving and protecting. My heroes are you. I will never forget you nor will I ever let you be forgotten. Thank you.

+1
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Considering the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks is near, I'm going to say all the heroes that sacraficed their lives trying to save others.

On a personal note, I lost 2 good friends on 9/11. FDNY Firefighters Robert Curatolo and Lou Arena. I went to HS with Robert and was on the baseball team together. Lou was a friends with a college buddy of mine and Lou became a good friend of mine.

Right now, they and all others who lost their lives are my heroes.

RIP

Robert Curatolo
    Firefighter
    Ladder 16
    Laid to Rest onSeptember 18, 2001

Lou Arena
    Firefighter
    Ladder 5
    Laid to Rest on September 19, 2001
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

BigRich is offline Big Irish Sausage
    My dad.

BR

Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO
    Here ya go, this is my hero,, George Bush, he has the balls to make shit happen and stand up for what is right.

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    Ronald Reagan: The great communicator.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    I have a few heroes. The ones in my family were my grandfathers. They were both in the military and served their country proudly. One of them ended up being a father to one (my dad), he settled down and lived the country live by the book. I learned a ton from him about life. He taught me how to be friendly to everyone I meet. He was so proud of me when I became a cop and he passed away not too long after. Now that I work in the town where he lived, when I meet people and they ask if I had any family here, he is the first one I mention. He always did things for others to help them out.

My other grandfather (mom's father) was a father of 4, 3 girls and 1 boy (I feel for him!). Anyways, he was in the Army and spent a lot of time with it, but never really talked about the things he did with them up until the last 3 years. I bought a motorcycle and that sparked a lot of stories about when he rode a cycle for the Army when he was in WWII. Then that would get him on a story about his friends and then to see this big man break down and cry would kill me. He passed away last year and the military did him right with the funeral. It was very hard for me to deal with, but I made it through.

Other than my 2 grandfathers, ALL of the men and women who have given their lives in the line of duty are my heroes.(This includes military, police, fire, ems, etc) 9-11 you will never be forgotten.
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information