Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nitestokker is offline Banned

Unhappy If you had one day to spend with someone who is gone......

I saw this in last Sunday's Parade Magazine and it really made me think. "If you had one day to spend with someone who is gone from your life and what would you do with that one day">>>>>>>>>>

I would spend one day with my beloved Michele. She died giving birth to my baby Grace. We were together for three wonderful years before she passed on in Omaha. I would take her fishing and we would just hold each other and talk about life and death. She would want to know about my new family and I would want to know about what lies beyond for the rest of us. The end of the day would suck to see her go, but I would enjoy spending time with her and at least I could say goodbye properly this time. I love you, Michele.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    If I can pick someone odd, I'd pick Jesus, so I can ask him what's up with everything after I kick the bucket. Otherwise, I'd pick my mom's dad, and I'd introduce him to anyone I know, because he was a really great person. The kind of person you don't see much any more, especially in younger generations.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I'd spend the day with a friend who was killed by a drunk driver, and I'd show him how his wife has finally found peace and that his children remember him and are still really good kids.

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    I pick my Aunt Julie. She was actually my uncles ex-wife but she was always there for me even when my uncle was being a giant douchebag and after they got divorced, she stayed in touch with me. She was so full of life and always told me how proud she was of me. She died Feb. 11th, 2005 and her funeral was on Feb. 14th, it was a crappy Valentines day for me. It was also really sad at my gradution (June 2005) cuz she wasn't there and I knew she was really proud of me. I would just spend the day with her and I would have my cousins with too so they could spend time with their mom.
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    My dad, and just spend the day getting to know him, one adult to another. I'd like him to see that I've grown up into someone he could be proud of.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

I'd pick my Dad's Father. I never got to meet him, but from all the stories I've heard about him he sounds like someone I would have loved. I've also been told that he's a carbon copy of my dad, and I adore my dad more than anyone. I'd just want to sit and talk about life, and know if he's proud of me.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    I would spend the day with my dad. I would introduce him to Cops, let him meet his youngest grandson (named after him), and his three great grandchildren. We would spend the day fishing and watching football (he was a Cowboys and Razorbacks fan). Like you nite, I would give him a proper goodbye. My dad was on the road (he drove a flatbed) when he suffered his second massive heart attack; he never regained consciousness. It was February 14, 1989 - he was 49. Love ya, Dad!

chris2001 is offline Captain
    I would have to say my Grandpa. He was a man that everyone felt safe around. While my dad and I have never really gotten along my grandfather and I were always buds. I guess you could say that my grandfather and I were closer than anyone in the family, I remember growing up and he would come pick me up from school. Man I was always happy to see him. I would spend the day telling him about my life, showing him all that I have accomplished and all that I want to accomplish. I want to show him that I am the man that I am because of him and the rest of my family. But most of all I want to say goodbye. And to let him know that I love him and I miss him very much.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    My Great-Grandfather. He was killed by an elderly driver who had a heart attack behind the wheel when I was a kid.

He was a good, kind man. I never got to say good-bye.

**edit**

It's hard for me to put in words what he did for me. You see, my parents were not married, and my mother chose to raise me on her own. This was unheard of in 1960's, small town Wisconsin. There was not much acceptance for me, even in my own family. He truly gave unconditional love, even after he died, he was a spiritual touchstone for me.

He remains my hero.
    Last edited by Willowdared; 09-20-06 at 02:18 PM.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

bikecop3141 is offline Officer First Class
    If I could pick anyone, it would be my daughter, Madison. She never even had a chance to be born, since my wife lost her to a miscarriage a couple of years before our son was born. We had been looking forward to a child so much and she was to have bben our first. At least now I know I have an angel in heaven watching over me every night at work.

ticktwrter is offline Rookie
    This is a pretty tough topic. I would pick my dad also. I'd want to tell him I love him and miss him. I guess growing up we never said that to each other although I know we both did love each other. When I worked 3rd shift, my dad would sit up late at night and listen to me on the scanner. He was so proud of me. Even though I would pick him, I have no doubt that he is near me all the time as is everyone others have written about.
    Dad, I love you and miss you.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    My dad, and just spend the day getting to know him, one adult to another. I'd like him to see that I've grown up into someone he could be proud of.

+1.

Before my dad passed away he suffered from Alzheimerís, so his last few years were lost as well. I like to think he can see me now and is proud of what I have become and have accomplished.

"Stupid should hurt."

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Wow, this thread rough to read. Made me cry.....
    I haven't lost a lot of people in my life, just some. Miss my cousin so much that passed last month. I would probably pick an ex-boyfriend from High School. We remained friends into our adult life. He died of brain cancer and now doesn't get to see his daughter grow up. He missed our lunch date and i couldn't get a hold of him for about a week. Then I got the news. I didn't get to say goodbye or go to funeral.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Okay, so now that I no longer need to take off my mascara...

I would spend the day with my soulmate. We'd go out on his boat for awhile, hold each other, talk about everything, looking over the water at the eternity of the horizon... I'd want to make sure he knew how thankful I was that he came into my life years ago, and how sorry I was that I was so hesitant at first. I'd thank him, too, for bringing his wonderful boys into my life. I'd reassure him that I will always be here for the boys. Then, I'd want for us to take the boys to a Yankees game, for the four of us to simply enjoy "being". The end of the day would so difficult but to be able to say "I love you" that one last time would be priceless. I know I now have an angel watching over me and still feel his embrace but that simply can't take the place of the joy he brought into so many lives....

Unfortunately, we never had the chance for those last moments because of the incredibly selfish act of a drunk driver who, to this day, refuses to accept responsibility for his actions. If this guy could feel one tenth of the pain he's caused...
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    I would have to say I would want to spend one more day with my grandfather on my dad's side. I was so close to him. He was sick with cancer and passed away June 2002. He was so proud of me for becoming an officer and he seemed to be the only one to understand. He was a very churchgoing guy and was always happy.He never seemed to let anything get him down. He was going through all the chemo and other treatments and he just couldn't take anymore. I was at work when I got the call that he wasn't doing so well and if I could get off I needed to head that way. Well, I got out on a call and was busy, then by the time I got back to my phone I had a message, he had just passed away. It was and still is so hard for me to deal with cause I wasn't there for him like he was always there for me. He knew his time was coming near and a week before he had me write out his obituary to send to the paper. He also asked me to wear my uniform on the day of his funeral. Well, I did wear my uniform and I had always worn a cross pin on the inside of my vest. Before they closed the casket I took the pin off of me and pinned it on his coat.

I wish I could have said bye to him that day. I would give anything for the chance to tell him once again that I love him and will always remember him.
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

BrickCop is offline "Shrinkage Proof"

Unhappy

In a way I am lucky in that my parents, though elderly are still with me. I was fairly young when my grandparents died, I'd love to talk with them to learn about past generations of my family.

I'd also love to speak with a guy on my job who killed himself 3 years ago. He was a great person so full of lfe, great sense of humor... I still cannot believe he's gone. I'd simply ask "why"?

This is one of the most moving threads I have ever seen.
    Why no, that's not a pregnant anaconda in my pants...why do you ask?

Terminator is offline BANNED

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BrickCop View Post
    This is one of the most moving threads I have ever seen.
    I agree. I'm not an emotional or real sensitive guy, and I am about to cry reading this. Excellent thread!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    This is an amazing thread, and now I feel like I cheated. So many of you shared deep, personal emotions.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    It really is an excellent thread and it's brought me to tears with each additional post. While I am very sorry for your loss nitestokker, thank you for starting this thread. It's given each of us the opportunity to not only pause and reflect, but to share and allow our loved ones' lives to touch everyone here.

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    Mine would be a friend I worked with. We were on the same shift, SWAT and Honor Guard together. Cancer took his life back in May at 35 years old. I had the oportunity to spend alot of time with him and take him back and forth to the docotors office so there is some closure but would take one day back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information