Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    theWatch is offline You can run, but you can't hide....

is it "LEF" or "POF", or is it just me?

Ok, first off this is not intended to become a pissing match, I'm just a little confused on how it works around here.
    I first came upon this site after a discussion with another guy locally. We were talking about good forums to gain insight into how other depts. work and where officers swap good information, he had heard good things about this site and recommended it.
    After signing up I began the adventure that is verification. After a couple of weeks I was "verified C/O"....not good enough.
    As I alluded to in my intro post I am in a pretty unique position, which I will attempt to explain here.
    Yes, I work for a "Corrections Department", but it is a dept. where every uniformed employee is a full time, fully sworn KY Peace Officer empowered with all arrrest authority in Ky 24 hours a day that every other Peace Officer has. In KY everyone is a Peace Officer...Sheriffs Deputy=Peace Officer...Louisville Metro Poice Officer=Peace Officer...KY State Trooper=Peace Officer. The only restriction that any Officer in my dept. has is that if he works "inside" he is restricted by policy from enforcing "small" traffic infractions. This stems from state law regarding lights in a POV, since they do not have take home vehicles.
    My positon is rather unique. I work in our Home Incarceration dept. which is not like any other in the country. Here we have total control of the program, other than who a judge places on the program, and here judges think they are Gods, we have murder suspects etc. awaiting trial not just DUI's and child support cases like most jurisdictions. Unlike many other jurisdictions in the country, I do not have to consult the original judge to remove anyone from the program and return them to jail. Hell other juridictions have sent officers to see how our program is ran.
    I am on the street every night, I serve about 3-4 warrants a week, I make about 5-10 new arrests a week. I pull DUI's, I hunt fugitives (ours as well as others), I make Domestic Violence runs and arrests, I make dope arrests, I've stumbled into meth labs, I've breached doors, I make "shots fired" calls and "officer assist" calls, just like everyone else.
    Yet, I can't get verified and swap info. inside the restricted area. I am confused.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I think the Admins need to take a look into it. Some of our Jail staff are "Dual Certified" which means they are sworn Deputy Sheriff's, and Sworn Corrections Deputies. They can do (and have done) both sides of the house.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I'm sure they'll read your thread, but you need to PM one of the bosses here at LEF.

I have, I know they are extremely busy.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    In Michigan, we have the same set up for the County jails. The Sheriff's office runs the jails, but they are all sworn POs by definition and statute. They often rotate assignments to the road or to special incidents as needed. I believe that in most instances with the county guys and gals, they start in the jail and eventually earn a full time spot on the road, if they wnat it.

With that said our state correctional facilities are not in the same category (I don't believe so any way).

I agree that admin should check a little deeper in this case. The answer most likely lies in the state's statutes.

"Stupid should hurt."

Yeah, our state corrections guys are not sworn. And I won't even go into their so called "academy". That sometimes causes confusion here as well. Good idea on the statue....I'll pull it up and post it that may indeed help...thanks.

Emily is offline Corporal
    It's the same way in the county I live in. The deputies swap out between road patrol and working the jail. They're all required to attend the LAW ENFORCEMENT Training Academy..... therefore that would make them a 'Verified LEO'................

From KY.gov in the KRS (Kentucky Revise Statutes) section:

KRS 446.010 subsection 25

"Peace officer" includes sheriffs, constables, coroners, jailers, metropolitan and urban-county government correctional officers, marshals, policemen, and other persons with similar authority to make arrests;

The "metropolitan" government correctional officers part is me. Been that way since they created the dept. in 1973 because the jailer and the city and county got into a pissing match about how big the jail had become and how the budget should be divided amongst them.
    On a side note thay just added that "urban-county" part recently because Lexingtons jail got the law changed so they could be like us.
    Weird part of it is that it says jailers (small counties have elected jailers) and I don't know of any of the small counties around here ran by jailers that have sworn personnel working in their jails. I think it has to do with them not meeting the state standards for training received.
    Last edited by theWatch; 09-20-06 at 07:56 PM.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    As a previous member of the Admin area I can tell you that unless you fit the entire profile of "Verified LEO" then you will not be verified as an LEO. You must fit everything that was posted.

For an LEO to gain access to our private, Verified LEO area, you must first meet the following minimum requirements:

You must be a retired (due to time in service or medical reasons only), or a current fully sworn full-time/part-time/reserve/auxillary Law Enforcement Officer with full arrest powers, Law Enforcement authority in your jurisdiction, and graduated a law enforcement academy for law enforcement officers. You must be able to or had the ability to (under our retired officers section) perform full law enforcement functions, such as making arrests, serving warrants, enforcing traffic laws, local ordinances, and state laws....etc. The Law Enforcement Division of the Coast Guard (NOAA Fisheries: Office for Law Enforcement) meet these requirements, however, Coast Guard members who do not perform law enforcement functions, and (Air Force, Army, USMC, Navy) soldiers who are military police, do not. If you are not sure if you meet these requirements, private message a Site Moderator or Site Administrator, and we will advise you.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Which of those do I not quailify under?

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by theWatch View Post
    Which of those do I not quailify under?
    Dunno, I did not do your verification. At the same time you should have PMed all of this to a Mod or Admin member. Airing this out in the Public Forum only causes drama.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

No drama intended, as I stated in my original post. Just thought that I might be missing the reason I wasn't verified LEO.

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001 View Post
    As a previous member of the Admin area I can tell you that unless you fit the entire profile of "Verified LEO" then you will not be verified as an LEO. You must fit everything that was posted.

For an LEO to gain access to our private, Verified LEO area, you must first meet the following minimum requirements:

You must be a retired (due to time in service or medical reasons only), or a current fully sworn full-time/part-time/reserve/auxillary Law Enforcement Officer with full arrest powers, Law Enforcement authority in your jurisdiction, and graduated a law enforcement academy for law enforcement officers. You must be able to or had the ability to (under our retired officers section) perform full law enforcement functions, such as making arrests, serving warrants, enforcing traffic laws, local ordinances, and state laws....etc. The Law Enforcement Division of the Coast Guard (NOAA Fisheries: Office for Law Enforcement) meet these requirements, however, Coast Guard members who do not perform law enforcement functions, and (Air Force, Army, USMC, Navy) soldiers who are military police, do not.If you are not sure if you meet these requirements, private message a Site Moderator or Site Administrator, and we will advise you.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    No need to start a thread on it. There is no point, and frankly we don't give a shit.

We don't give a shit because there is nothing we can do about your situation, its between you and the site admin.

You must give a little shit or you could have read over it and moved on rather that posting at all.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
    No need to start a thread on it.
    Its between you and the site admin.
    Sorry theWatch , I have to agree with the above statement...

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

Quote Originally Posted by theWatch View Post
    You must give a little shit or you could have read over it and moved on rather that posting at all.
    Ok, I'll give you a streak mark of a shit

Last edited by Iron Man; 09-20-06 at 08:38 PM.

lol...cute.

OK I'll wait on a siteadmin to read this and see what they want me to do.

In all seriousness, there is nothing we can do for you buddy

Ivory is offline Grrr I hate not working for a jail.....
    I didn't want to be reminded of my dads underwear...kinda reminds me of beef jerky
    Life is a fleeting memory,
    It come and goes,
    But one thing will always remain.
    That is History.
    ~Erin~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information