Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Have your views of LE changed?

In what ways did your perception of law enforcement change after you joined the profession and/or started interacting with it? Did you previously have any perceptions of law enforcement that you now believe to be incorrect based on first-hand experience? If so, what were your perceptions before, and what are they now?

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    they were one way before and now there another

lynnz05 is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320 View Post
    they were one way before and now there another
    The Grammar Police really isn't going to like that post
    What I say is my opinion, not my employers or that of my academic institution.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Mine is still the same, I see that a lot of the problems caused are by the Shitty of Shitcago Dicatators (Mayor) Office and Crook County States Attorneys.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Ivory is offline Grrr I hate not working for a jail.....
    When I got into corrections there is a lot that you here on the radio that you wouldn't know what was going on; for example; all of those damn reckless driver calls, possible dui's, dog calls, and if you live in a farm type area, cows in the road....Free range over here in idaho.... DUH!

Also you get a lot of people in the jail that say that they didn't do it, or if they were arrested and falsly arrested.

THeres a lot of shit that people don't see that LE does.
    Life is a fleeting memory,
    It come and goes,
    But one thing will always remain.
    That is History.
    ~Erin~

slamdunc is offline On The Beat
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnz05 View Post
    The Grammar Police really isn't going to like that post
    No, you'll have to do gooder next post.
    'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him"--Sun Tsu

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    doesn't get any gooder than this.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Yeah I use to get tickets when I was younger, now I give tickets .
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

drillsgt98th is offline NY C.O.
    i used to think you could rehabilitate inmates. i was WRONG! now i make sure theyre stay is as unenjoyable as possible. if your on camera just keep saying "STOP RESISTING!" as loud as u can. then your justified in your use of force.
    Last edited by drillsgt98th; 09-24-06 at 12:01 AM.

WHO NEEDS C.E.R.T.??...WHEN YOU HAVE US S.H.U. OFFICERS DOIN IT EVERY DAY!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I feel a bond with the cops I rode & volunteered with, and the guys on this forum, but frankly my Chief's attitude throughout the whole thing spoiled the pleasure I got out of being a member & VP of our little volunteer organization.

Looking back on it, he's adopted many of my proposals, but it was like giving a cat a bath (such as Citizens on Patrol) and he's even training them in pepper spray (also one of my demands) and also caved in on his ban of CHL holders from the program after I took his shit to the Mayor - But now I'm banned personally - So everyone's "happy".

But yeah, I'd do it all over again in a hearbeat with a different Chief... But I don't care to repeat any of it with a Chief with the same attitude that volunteers are only for fundraising, cheerleading and P.R. - If all he wants are cheerleaders, then he's going to be disappointed - That's not the sort of thing that interests Volunteers for any length of time. They will drop out if under-utilized and under-appreciated - and who can blame them?

Trust and respect is a two-way street - Certainly all the officers I came into contact with practice that, but this Chief cannot grasp that concept. My hope is that he'll retire in a couple of years, then I may try to re-join if they get a chief who believes in citizen partnerships, rather than just giving it lip service.

Meantime, it's either weekend private security or the Reserves for me - Probably the former, because I haven't met my physical fitness goals. I'm taking a Level III Private Security class in October, which would license me to do armed security, and also bounty hunting if I so desired... I really haven't decided - No matter what I do, I will be doing it because I believe in doing it, not because of the pay I get for it and for once it won't be hindered by whether the Chief blesses it or not.

SO no actually my view on LE has not changed - I have Uncles and cousions in LE, and my Great Grandfather, a deputy Sheriff, was killed on the job - So I've always had respect for the officers, but some skepticism of the administrators.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 09-24-06 at 12:41 AM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    while I always had a feeling the administrative side to LE was going to be shitty and political, I was truely amazed how, even in such a small government as mine, the mayor and council are more interested in lining their pockets more than making sure their streets are well guarded and the police have everything they need.

It also sickens me how blantely money-grubbing our whole polictal infra-structure is.

But every time an old lady thanks me for helping her or I see the admiration in a child's eyes- and the fear in a criminal's- I try to keep going.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    No. I had a good opinion of LE long before I decided to become one. I come from an LE family. I guess in my subconsious I knew I was gonna be a cop someday. I still would lay down my life for a brother or sister officer, just as I'd like to think that they would for me. These days you never know. Do I still love the job? Abso-damn-lutely. Do I hate the politics? Yeah, but then again you learn to deal with them. Are some officers here for a thrill? Of course, but they will burn out and hopefully a political plant won't get their job when they replace the hotshot. That would probably be my biggest complaint. The people getting the job, not because they are the best candidate but because of who they know or what demographic they meet.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I went from a "biker rebel" to a police officer...you decide if they are the same, lol
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bird1 View Post
    doesn't get any gooder than this.
    I think the quate off of the Video on cabriniheat.com is "it don't get no gooder than this"
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

ghost98 is offline BEEN THERE BUT NOT EVERYWHERE
    I never really wanted to be a LEO. I did it for the college credits. I didn't think i had the right attitude or personality. The Police were too controlled, made little money and were often not the nicest.Then something happened, i took the test, graduated the academy and before i knew it i was riding aroung NYC with a gun and shield locking up really bad people ( some not so real bad. just needed the ot) and helping people in need. It was a great feeling. I've always been humble about my career, but deep inside it makes me feel elated when i solve a case or see a change in the area because of what we do....... oh and another thing, i never expected all the paper work either..

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    Also you get a lot of people in the jail that say that they didn't do it, or if they were arrested and falsly arrested.

i don't lock up guilty people. i keep them on the street for job security.
    i knew people did not like us but i didn't think the administration would try to burn officers at every turn.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

ghost98 is offline BEEN THERE BUT NOT EVERYWHERE
    i knew people did not like us but i didn't think the administration would try to burn officers at every turn.[/QUOTE]

Another good point and eye-opener .jlk

**Not actually a police officer yet**, but the jobs I've worked with officers and retired officers, etc, its been interesting to find a whole group of people that think like me, share interests like me, and have the same pretty twisted sense of humor.

Have a hellllllllllllllllllll of a lot more to learn, and look forward to most of it.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    With me, when I first started, I wanted to help every DV Victim and everybody no matter what.

Now though, if they don't want my help, screw 'em they aint getting it. If a chick enjoys getting the crap knocked out of her on a nightly basis, by then all means, stick with the guy..... HE'S A WINNER!!!!!

I focus my attention now on the truly innocent victims of crime and circumstances and change what a can, when I can. I don't waste time or energy on the people that don't really want help.

Just my .02

When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    But every time an old lady thanks me for helping her or I see the admiration in a child's eyes- and the fear in a criminal's- I try to keep going.
    I could be wrong (doubt it), but this is what it's all about! By the way, where is my rep when I need it?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rhino again.

Sorry, Rhino, but I tried.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information