Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO

Do you support civilian concealed carry permits

Do you support civilian concealed carry permits by persons who have passed a NCIC background check, have no criminal record or no mental problems.And have qualified with the weapon they are going to carry? We will have it staring Jan 2007.
    Last edited by depusm12; 09-28-06 at 07:26 PM.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    that will never fly here in chicago. our mayor is so anti-gun. if they would allow it i would add some type of 40 hour handgun training course.
    Last edited by bird1; 09-28-06 at 07:28 PM.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by depusm12 View Post
    Do you support civilian concealed carry permits by persons who have passed a NCIC background check, have no criminal record or no mental problems.And have qualified with the weapon they are going to carry? We will have it staring Jan 2007.
    I do, and I have one. Had to take a class that ranges from 30 minutes to 8 hours.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    yes I support it, here it is an 8 hour class with shooting range as well.
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    I support it but I think it should be monitored more.
    Last Friday night I got a call to a Burger King about a guy sitting in the parking lot and one of the employees was afraid he was going to try to start some trouble with him. I approached the suspect and told him what was going on and requested some ID he hands me his OL and a CWP. I ask if he had a weapon in the car and he told me he had one on his side. I got him out of the car and found that he had a Ruger .480 pistol........Thats a big ass gun.
    This was the same guy that 2 years ago accidently shot the drive thru window out of the same BK while messing with a 12 gauge in the car. His permit should have been revoked
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Since it's a constitutional right, yes I support it.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Yep... And if you look here, you'll see that the crime rates among CHL holders in Texas is quite good... Only one murder conviction in the whole state of Texas in 2001 against a CHL holder!!!:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis.../convrates.htm

I simply cannot remember a murder, assault, or reckless shooting reported in Dallas which turned out to be a CHL holder. The most I've heard about is simple brandishing (some of those cases are another way of saying it may have prevented a crime but the holder was premature in "brandishing" his weapon - Often sounds worse than it turns out to be):
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 09-28-06 at 11:01 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

CopsRCool302 Guest
    I Believe Only Law Enforcement should be the only ones to carry a weapon, as you all know, they are trained better than a civi..

almost anyone can pass a gun class, but not everyone is well trained..

to me, it just makes the cops more in danger of being hurt/killed when called to a shooting, make sence??

Quote Originally Posted by CopsRCool302 View Post
    I Believe Only Law Enforcement should be the only ones to carry a weapon, as you all know, they are trained better than a civi..

to me, it just makes the cops more in danger of being hurt/killed when called to a shooting, make sence??
    In a perfect world, cops would have time to act as our personal bodyguards 24/7, but this is not a perfect world.

My opinion on the last part is that it's certainly happened, but the fear of "friendly fire" has proven to be largely unfounded... Certainly I remember when a store owner in Dallas shot a police officer in the face with a shotgun (luckily it was only bird shot and he was some distance away), but "friendly fire" is extremely rare... There may have been other instances, but that's the only one in Dallas I can remember since I moved here in 1979.

And while cops are well-trained, some are not necessarily as well-trained as some civilians I've seen who are really into it hard-core (especially ex-military civilians, which I'm not one of)... But it's a different kind of training with a different goal, I'll admit (the goal of stopping a threat as the primary goal, versus conflict resolution and arrest).

At least that's my take on it.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 09-29-06 at 12:48 AM.

(\__/)

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Yes. But under the condition you are not a complete waste of good air.
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Some people would definitely say I am... And after a while I start to believe them sometimes. But then I realize that they're just assholes in a sea of people who don't give a shit.

Ok, so I just got an email that pissed me off, and thought I'd share... Nothing to do with this.

(\__/)

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I pray your joking. YOu mean to tell me the only people who should be armed is your government?

Think about that.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I agree with Rhino on this one. It was put in the constitution for a reason. I think it should stay there. The problem is not the CWC people. It is the idiots who sell and distribute weapons carelessly. Or because of their greed. More cars kill people than guns, you gonna outlaw cars? I pull at least one person a week for no license. They still do it, too.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Yes I support the idea. I would like to add that a high standard of training should be required for concealed carry. It would benefit everyone.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 09-29-06 at 12:37 PM.

"Stupid should hurt."

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    In Virginia you don't even need a permit to carry openly. But then, the people carrying openly aren't usually the ones you have to worry about.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    In Virginia you don't even need a permit to carry openly. But then, the people carrying openly aren't usually the ones you have to worry about.
    You don't need one in MI for open carry either. However, open carry goes away the second you get in a vehicle, or if your clothes cover ANY part of the gun. City ordinances also restrict open carry in some places. Besides not being smart, it really isn't easy to "open carry."

My advice to civies would be train with the weapon often, get a permit and keep it concealed until you need to unconceal it.

"Stupid should hurt."

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    open carry goes away the second you get in a vehicle

Whoa I didn't know that. I guess that's why most people here put their gun on the seat or dash when they get in the car.

Verified LEO
    Virginian,

I can't speak for the law in your state, but to clarify, in MI if one is carrying a pistol, even open carry, and he gets into a car, the gun is then considered concealed and he must then have a permit.

The law here specically defines how to carry a pistol in a vehicle in other instances, like going to the range, going hunting etc.

"Stupid should hurt."

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Warrior View Post
    Virginian,

I can't speak for the law in your state, but to clarify, in MI if one is carrying a pistol, even open carry, and he gets into a car, the gun is then considered concealed and he must then have a permit.

The law here specically defines how to carry a pistol in a vehicle in other instances, like going to the range, going hunting etc.
    Now that you mention it, I think there's something around here about having it in a place that isn't easily accessible to the driver, and in a case. But I haven't had to worry about that so I'm fuzzy on the laws.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

I read this last night and waited till now to post, because I think this is the stupidist fucking thing ever posted. Lets break it down shall we.

Ask a cop, any cop, from any dept, and if they are honest, they will tell you that most police quals are a joke. I know cops that only shoot when they have to go to the range to qualify. It is a sad fact, that today, many, if not most police officer consider their gun just another piece of equipment to hang on their belt.

Finally, consider this, if it wasnt for my gun, I might not be here today. If your really clever, search the ajc.com for my name (Norman Johnson) and the name Gustavo Trejo, and November 1999. I had to use my gun in self defense and it made the news for quite a few days here. (Reason #1 I hate the press)
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information