Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Michelle is offline Civilian

Question Colorado Springs?

Looks like my family and I will be moving to Colorado Springs. I know next to nothing about the place except I hear it gets cold and there are tornadoes.
    Would anyone know if it is legal to have scanners in POV's there? I also need to know the gun laws - what's legal what's not. I have a 22 rifle I just bought last month and need to know if I should go ahead and sale it before I move.
    I also would like to know what type of volunteer work there is available at the sheriff or police department or any other agencies in need of a helping hand from a citizen.
    Where not to live would be really nice too.
    Appreciate any information I can get. Thank you in advance!

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Umm... dude... just Google shit. Here's the city government website. Do your own homework.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Ouch!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Roses is offline Member
    Have a safe trip and I hope your move goes well. I'm guessing your hubby got the contract. Good for him!
    http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/1369/rosekdrosetransp9fk2eb.gif

A Smile

A smile cost nothing, but gives so much.

It enriches those who receive it,
    without making poorer those who give.
    It takes but a moment, but the memory
    of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he
    can get along without it,
    and none is so poor but that
    he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home,
    fosters goodwill in business,
    and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary,
    cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad,
    and it is nature's best antidote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed,
    or stolen, for it is something that is of no
    value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.
    Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile
    so much as he who has no more to give.

- author unknown

Thaaanks for the link.
    And, I do appologize if the post seemed like I haven't done my homework. I am. This post was part of my homework. ;-)
    Just thought I could get better if not more information on LEF.

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    I would assume that she thought that some here might work or live in the area and be able to provide her with some inside information. (More then what is available on the internet).
    Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Looks like my family and I will be moving to Colorado Springs. I know next to nothing about the place except I hear it gets cold and there are tornadoes.
    Would anyone know if it is legal to have scanners in POV's there? I also need to know the gun laws - what's legal what's not. I have a 22 rifle I just bought last month and need to know if I should go ahead and sale it before I move.
    I also would like to know what type of volunteer work there is available at the sheriff or police department or any other agencies in need of a helping hand from a citizen.
    Where not to live would be really nice too.
    Appreciate any information I can get. Thank you in advance!
    Okay, I'll do what I can to help you on this one... I never actually lived in the Springs, but I lived in Pueblo for a year (30-45 min south), and we always went to Co Spgs when we wanted a real city or something to do. I now work in Denver (hour or so North of Co Spgs).

Weather: Very nice compared to most of the country. Anyone who says the winters are tough here hasn't lived anywhere with "real" winter (most of the stories about CO winter refer to the mountains). Plenty of sunny days when you are comfortable outside, even when the temperature is low. Plus, we always seem to have a few days of "shorts" weather even in winter. On the flip side, always a few weeks of cold weather and the mountains nearby always have the potential to drop lots of snow, but it never lasts too long (I grew up in the midwest, and winter was much worse there). Eastern Colorado has tornados from time to time, and they can/do hit El Paso county from time to time, but it sure isn't like living in TX, OK, KS, etc... this is the edge of the tornado belt here, not the middle.

Guns: Welcome to the wild west. You aren't in California anymore. You can pretty much have anything you want around here within reason (Of course, don't take this the wrong way and buy a machine gun from a crack head ... I'm speaking in broad terms here). Anyway, you can have high capacity magazines in colorado, AR-15's and the like are available, and you don't need to register your weapons. NOTE: I don't know if the city of Colo Spgs has any specific ordinances to the contrary, but this is sort of statewide stuff I'm addressing (and I do know there are a few nice guns shops in the springs too). Colorado has concealed carry permits available if you show proof of training and pay for a background check, but you aren't required to have a permit to carry concealed in your car for personal defense purposes (assuming you aren't a felon, and are legally of age to carry a gun, etc - car is essentially considered an extension of your home). Also, there is a great public shooting range just a few miles outside of Colorado springs, just past Garden of the Gods on Rampart Range Rd. It is kind of a pit because of litter, but it is free and the view is unbeatable (assuming it hasn't closed in the past 2 years).

Where not to live: Pueblo.

Volunteer work: Don't know much about Colorado Springs on this subject, or really what kind of work you are looking to do. In Denver we have Reserve Officers in our department... They are POST certified police officers who go through an academy, carry weapons and have full arrest power. They are all volunteers, and they work 2-3 shifts or so each month, typically being partnered with a Full-timer.

Hope that helps

Good luck, Colorado rocks.... you should have fun here, it is a great place to live.

Thank you so much ColoradoCop! You have no idea how much that helps me! I have been in circles on the internet for a long time now trying to get good information. I have lived in California all my life. Itís exciting to move, but also kinda scary moving to a place I know no one or the area. (If you see a blue teal Firebird going around in circles it might be me and know I moved to COS. ;-) ).
    Iím looking for more simple volunteer work. I already have a full time job so I will be looking into doing Citizen On Patrol work like I have done here in California Ė if it is available. Besides, I can't jump a sofa let alone a wall.

Great information and again I thank you.
    Last edited by Michelle; 10-03-06 at 04:04 AM.

CO_Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I'll also throw my .03 cents in. I just moved from Colorado Springs and I can tell you that its probably one of the nicesest places to raise a family. Also, welcome to the bible capital of the world.. The springs is very conservative cause there are a ton of religious groups there. The biggest being; Focus on the Family.

I would suggest that you look for a place to live on the north or north end, Anywhere in District 20 (Academy Schools). Even in Monument, which is like 15 minutes out.

The six years that I lived there, I can't say that I heard about any tornados.
    Colorado Springs PD, always had stuff for volunteers, see http://www.springsgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=377

Anyways, good luck

Pat
    "Regulators, we regulate any stealin' of his property and we're damn good too. But you can't be any geek off the street. You gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep, Regulators! Mount up!"

Thank you CO_Cop !
    It's encouraging to know that the area is as nice as I keep hearing. Certainly don't hear that very often about California. And it definitely helps hearing it from those who have been there. Funny thing, the realtors I’ve talked to so far have yet to answer me about where not to live. Go figure. ;-)

I also ran across a similar link on volunteer work there, and thought maybe I read wrong or maybe it was not updated about the volunteers having to take polygraphs. I don't have a problem with the poly other than seems like it would be more nerve-racking to have to go through just to be a volunteer.

Well, it’s all very exciting and even more so now than before. Thanks again!

Thread Information