Welcome to the APBWeb.
    conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO

Deep thoughts, part deux...

So, I am drinking wine tonight and that makes me think deep and ponderous thoughts. This time I was inspired by what CopsRcool wrote in another post and what happened a few nights ago. A normal call, dumb and probably something that shouldn't have been called in, but hey, that is half of what we do. Anyway, I get to this call and the first thing I see is a four month old liitle boy. Cute as the devil. Then the mother starts talking. Back to reality. She starts rattling off how she was "convinced" to take a "unknown white pill"by an unknown associate of hers. Right. So, while she is telling me her sad story, I tell her, "hey, it is too cold for him to be out here, lets go inside or put him inside." Good mother "oh, yeah, okay". In we go. I am standing in the door and letting her prattle on, the four month old belly crawls over to where I am standing and sits at my feet. That kid just looked up at me with such utter innocence and trust. This kid ain't even old enough to know who a cop is, but he crawled over to sit at my feet and play rather than stay with mom. Now, I know and you know, another ten years or so, that kid is going to be wising off to a guy in blue, causing some kind of ruckus, but for the next few weeks, that kid and his innocnt eyes are the reason I put on the badge and keep trying to make things safe and right. Crazy, huh?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    not crazy at all..

gotta love the warm and fuzzy side to a guy
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That's not crazy at all.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Not crazy bro. That's just called keeping it real.

"Stupid should hurt."

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Not crazy at all con! Think about this. In another ten years, you could be the cop that turns that kids life around. Stay safe friend!

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Its funny what kids will remember too. I was only about 4-5 years old, but I recall being at dinner with my mom and dad when I saw an officer walking by. I said something like, "Look mom a policeman!" He was a friend of my parents and he stopped at our table to say hello. I remember him giving me his tie tack that looked like a set of hand cuffs. I wore those shiny little cuffs so proudly on my shirt for I don't know how long.

Years later that cop became police chief and has recently retired. At his retirement party, I reminded him of the story, and I thanked him for setting my mind up on a career choice even at that young age.

It took all of 30 seconds in his average day, but maybe he played a part in keeping me out of trouble and set a goal for me for the rest of my life. Pretty amazing if you think about it.

"Stupid should hurt."

CopsRCool302 Guest
    I agree, it's not crazy.. mabe one day, that kid will remember you and want to be a cop... you never know...

I saw the name of the thread and then who posted it and HAD to check it out.

Situation sounds like life. Fucked up backwards, upside and sideways trying to find the middle.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I never knew any cops as a young kid, but my Mom never let us call officers Cops.. it was disrespectful, according to her. We could call 'em Officers, Policemen, Policewomen, Deputies (if we knew for SURE that they were actually supposed to be called that,) Sir or Ma'am. (Anyone in a military uniform was automatically either Sir or Ma'am.) When we got older, my Dad became a CO, and the same rules applied, except then we added "Warden" to the list. We were also told that officers were always our friends. We weren't allowed to call officers Cops (in front of my mother, at least) till my older brother actually became one. When he told her it was Ok and not an insult, the ban was lifted.

I remember making officers smile when I was young though. A cheerful "Hello, Officer!" and a wave from a 5-year-old me at the fair almost always got a smile and a wave back, or at least a smile. One time I got a plastic badge.

So maybe he'll be a kid like that and surprise you.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Wow, this is one of those rare times when the sequel is actually better than the original

Julia Guest
    man that is deep i knew u had a heart; proud of ya.. keep up good job

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class
    We all get tired of the bs and drama. One in a great while we're given a gift that keeps us going. That makes this job all worthwhile and we can fend off the bad guys a while longer and keep us going.

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    That isn't crazy at all. That story actually put warm fuzzies in my heart.
    I remember even from a young age having a deep respect for police officers. The fact that they cared so much about the safety of others really touched me from an early age on.
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2009 View Post
    I saw the name of the thread and then who posted it and HAD to check it out.

Situation sounds like life. Fucked up backwards, upside and sideways trying to find the middle.
    Conalsblu, Been there ,done that ,and I agree we need it every now and than to keep it real .

Now Ms Autum,do I detect some anger and cynicism(sp) in your young self,?You are to PROMPTLY,go to the nearest mirror,gerber slap yourself,and say "I am to young ,to be this angry",after doing so you may treat yourself to one candy bar. Damn,is it getting harder to raise kids?or am I getting to old to try?
    And besides that what the hell are you doing up at midnight on a school night?????
    Last edited by mavriktu; 10-05-06 at 01:41 PM.
    ]

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Warrior View Post
    Its funny what kids will remember too. I was only about 4-5 years old, but I recall being at dinner with my mom and dad when I saw an officer walking by. I said something like, "Look mom a policeman!" He was a friend of my parents and he stopped at our table to say hello. I remember him giving me his tie tack that looked like a set of hand cuffs. I wore those shiny little cuffs so proudly on my shirt for I don't know how long.

Years later that cop became police chief and has recently retired. At his retirement party, I reminded him of the story, and I thanked him for setting my mind up on a career choice even at that young age.

It took all of 30 seconds in his average day, but maybe he played a part in keeping me out of trouble and set a goal for me for the rest of my life. Pretty amazing if you think about it.
    You almost choked me up....seriously!
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants.Ē Ė Jeff Cooper'

Thread Information