Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Veteran's Day - November 11

You've probably already seen this picture, but I'm posting it anyway. To paraphrase the website where I found this pic, we sometimes forget who the heroes in our society are. I don't have the words to express my appreciation as eloquently as this photograph does, so I will simply say thank you to all of our veterans, active military personnel, and those of you who have chosen paths that allow me to feel safe in my home at night and to have the freedom that I do, and especially to those men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.

The occasion of this photograph was a Veterans Day Commemoration at Dallas City Hall on 11 November 2004. The veteran pictured is Houston James, a survivor of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, and the Marine is Staff Sgt. Mark Graunke Jr., a member of an ordnance-disposal team who lost his left hand, one leg, and an eye while defusing a bomb in Iraq in July 2003.

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class

Up here we call it Remembrance Day

I had the pleasure of seeing this presentation (out of the corner of my eye) while being in a colour party today.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1211932776

Lest we forget...

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Cst.SB View Post
    I had the pleasure of seeing this presentation (out of the corner of my eye) while being in a colour party today.

Lest we forget...
    Beautiful song, and refreshing to see a supportive song for a change.

There is a local man trying to change attitudes about wearing ribbons and medals here in the US. Unlike most other countries, our veterans only wear them on uniforms, so today, unless they are in uniform, they will not display that which they earned.

Thank you to all that have served.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

In tribute to those who have served our country, thank you.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” - George Orwell

“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.”
    –Joseph Campbell

God Bless our soldiers.

"Stupid should hurt."

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I had the honor to serve in the U.S. Army from 16 Jun 90 to 26 Jun 00. God bless the Desert Storm veterans our sacrifice will not be forgotten. to those who continue to serve we pass the torch to you, and our nation is grateful of your sacrifice. in battle you don"t fight for the american way of life or moms apple pie. you fight for each other because in battle each other is all you're gonna have. God bless all our veterans
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    God bless our veterans.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

From a solider who served in Iraq, I thank all of you who have served, pray for those still serving and will never forget those who died serving. God Bless You

"people will never understand this, never understand its not about the politics, the money or the thrill.........its all about the guy next you, your brother in arms. so when they ask, i dont say a damn thing cause they just dont understand."
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

And in case you don't speak Latin.......If you want peace, prepare for war.

I've been places, seen and done things that would make most cry. I've fought along side and against better men then most I come across day to day, i've put my life on the line more then once for things you take for granted and for those you have lost respect for. I don't tell you this for your pity or respect but for you to remember me.

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Habitat to build homes for veterans

By Rick Rogers
    STAFF WRITER

November 11, 2006

Habitat for Humanity has built more than 200,000 homes around the world since its founding in 1976. Now the organization that former President Jimmy Carter once swung a hammer for is turning its attention to wounded combat veterans from Camp Pendleton and, possibly, beyond.

Yesterday, Habitat's Orange County chapter unveiled a pilot program to build 14 homes for former Marines and sailors at a San Juan Capistrano site just north of the Marine base.

The program has yet to turn a shovel of dirt, yet it's already caught the attention of Veterans Affairs officials in Washington, D.C. and local Habitat officials.

Cheryl Keenan, executive director of the San Diego County chapter of Habitat, first heard of the idea Thursday, but she already is considering changing plans for the chapter's 20-home Oceanside project to begin this summer.

“We would really be ripe for such a project,” Keenan said.

Keenan said Habitat projects for Carlsbad, Escondido and National City could also be altered to accept the wounded.

“We were thinking that Oceanside and the other projects could certainly include vets,” Keenan said. “Not every place (Habitat chapter) is close to a base like we are. We just think it is a terrific opportunity to give back to the vets. I think the community would really rise to the occasion to provide sponsorship for the construction.”

Using Habitat – an ecumenical organization that traditionally has helped low-income families move into their own places – to build housing for service members forced from the military because of wounds is the idea of Bruce Banigan, a retired Marine major and veteran of Desert Storm.
    A crew leader for Habitat in Orange County and himself a disabled veteran, Banigan asked a simple question 18 months ago.

“I said, 'We build for a lot of people, why don't we do something for the disabled vets?' ” Banigan recalled.

The idea took root when Habitat contacted the local redevelopment agency and the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA's Center for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives is particularly interested, said a spokeswoman for the Orange County Habitat.

Banigan says Orange County could lead many other Habitat chapters to including wounded veterans in their plans.

“There are disabled vets all over the country and there are about 1,700 Habitat for Humanity affiliates. We hope this is a template that will be replicated through the country at other affiliates.”

There are income and other qualifications for Habitat housing, which probably won't be available until late 2007 or early 2008.

Habitat is a nonprofit organization devoted to building affordable housing. Volunteers build the homes that are sold at cost, with no-interest loans. The organization built 50,000 houses in the United States and more than 175,000 around the world as of 2004.

How to help
    For more information about Habitat for Humanity's efforts to build homes for service members injured in combat, call the organization's Orange County chapter at (714) 434-6200, ext. 200.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    God Bless all those that serve......here and in other countries.
    We wouldn't be where we are without you all!
    Very touching picture....
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Lizzy is offline Rookie
    I am from a family of Jar Heads and learned from the beginning how much the millitary means to our country. I also learned all the amazing things the millitary can do for the families of millitary.

God Bless all our Veterans ! You are truly special and important to all of us.

Lizzy

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My Scout/Sniper brother evening the score in Iraq 2 days after his 22nd birthday. Am I proud...bet your ass and I still buy rounds for combat veterans when I meet them.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information