Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: What do you think about the car of tomorrow race fans?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it and think it will do fine.

8 16.33%
  • I hate it and think it will screw up racing.

4 8.16%
  • I wish NASCAR would stop trying to change the sport.

12 24.49%
  • I don't watch racing and don't care.

25 51.02%
    K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO

Nascar: Car of Tomorrow Debut! What do you think?

Today, at the Bristol race track, the car of tomorrow debuts. Here is a little description from the Nextell Nascar Website from those of you that do know whats up with this new car. What do you think about it? I for one do not care for it. In fact, I wish it was still the Winston Cup. Nextell is trying to make this a national sport when it belongs to the south and that is where is should stay.

CONCORD, N.C. -- NASCAR provided the latest round of updates Monday on its Car of Tomorrow project, which is slated for a March debut at Bristol Motor Speedway.

"The Car of Tomorrow will alter the competitive landscape of NASCAR in a very positive way," NASCAR president Mike Helton said. "We believe the drivers will be safer than ever; we believe the racing will be better than ever; and we believe the Car of Tomorrow will help control costs over the long haul."

The culmination of a seven-year project undertaken at NASCAR's Research and Development Center had three primary objectives: driver safety; improved performance and competition; and more efficient cost-management for the teams.

SAFETY FEATURES

The Car of Tomorrow was built primarily with safety in mind.

• Double frame rail on the driver's side with steel plating on the outside of the roll cage door bars to help prevent intrusion during impacts.

• Energy-absorbing materials installed between the roll-cage door bars and door panels.

• Enlarged cockpit -- roof is 2 1/2 inches higher and the cockpit is 4 inches wider. The driver also is up to 4 inches to the right of where he currently sits.

• Increased strength in the floorboard.

• An enclosed 360-degree steel containment tunnel for the drive shaft.

IMPROVED PERFORMANCE

During the development process, NASCAR also discovered ways in which the Car of Tomorrow could improve competition with a pair of unique aerodynamic pieces that teams may adjust at the track.

Rear Wing

• The rear wing is an adjustable aerodynamic feature that provides better balance and control in traffic. It replaces the rear spoiler.

• The rear wing reduces turbulent air behind the car.Rear wing enables trail car to race in "cleaner" air and promotes more passing.

• The rear wing angle adjusts between 0-16 degrees, enabling teams to change rear downforce to suit individual drivers and tracks.

• Various combinations and adjustments to sideforce-generating end plates and flat end plates allow for further at-track adjustments.

Front Splitter

• Teams can adjust the exposed portion of the front splitter fore and aft from 4-6 inches to impact downforce and aerodynamic balance.

• The front splitter is another element to achieve the aerodynamic balance that setup, driver or the track's changing conditions might dictate.

• The adjustable front splitter enables teams to tune the front downforce to suit individual drivers and tracks.

• The front and rear bumper heights have been equalized so they will be aligned if impact occurs.

COST EFFICIENCY

With the adjustable rear wing and front splitter along with a more defined body and chassis inspection process, teams will not need to build track-specific racecars and will therefore enable teams to be more cost-efficient.

• By using a more refined body and chassis measurement process, the need for track-specific car configurations is reduced.

• By providing the race teams a "blueprint" to build chassis and bodies, teams should be able to reduce the amount of time necessary to fabricate cars.

MANUFACTURER IDENTITY

The Car of Tomorrow design has enabled manufacturers to have an increased product and branding opportunity with the Chevrolet Impala SS, Dodge Avenger, Ford Fusion and Toyota Camry.

• NASCAR has improved the ability for manufacturers to retain their car identity by maintaining many of the characteristics of their production cars, such as front nose, grill, hood, window panels and headlights.

• The Car of Tomorrow will more resemble a manufacturer's production car than does the current racecar.

Through input from team owners, NASCAR has implemented a multiple-year rollout schedule for the Car of Tomorrow to race in its Nextel Cup Series.

In 2007, the Car of Tomorrow will race 16 times -- 13 times at ovals less than 1.5 miles, plus the two road-course events at Infineon Raceway and Watkins Glen International and the fall race at the 2.66-mile Talladega Superspeedway
    Last edited by K9brando; 03-25-07 at 12:27 PM.
    I'm ready for spring!

Emily is offline Corporal
    Can't see the picture.

And, oh my goodness, where is Virginian when you need him? He's going to eat this post up, he loves NASCAR.

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    And WE love YOU EMILY!!!!...
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    They suck.

It looks like the stupid ricer race cars the high school kids are driving.....

And as far as the models go, who the hell ever thought a Camry was a "Tough racecar" and went out to buy one to race at the local track or from red light to red light on the street? Impala's not any better nowadays.. The old days of Impalas having balls is long gone!

CelticCop is offline The Dark Lord
    Ok... Doesn't NASCAR have something in the name about "Stock Car"? What the fuck happened to Stock Cars??? I give up... Somebody come to VA and end it for me please...
    "Where's your towel Arthur?" -Ford Prefect

"You! On your knees!" -Green Jello

Some take delight in the carriages a rollin'
    and some take delight in the hurley and the bowlin',
    I take delight in the juice of the barley,
    and courtin' pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early...

"You are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of..." Cmdre. Norrington "Ah, but you have heard of me." Capt. Jack Sparrow

Warning my statements do not reflect the policies, procedures or views of my agency. As a matter of fact, they think I'm just as nuts as you do, so shove it and blow it out of your fart tube.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think they need to go back to the original term of stock car. Take the actual body of a street car and make it a racecar under the hood, in the suspension, etc.

While brand identity is a little more evident with the CoT, they're all basically still the same damn thing. Without the decals you couldn't tell one of them from another. Let's go back to the real "win on Sunday, sell cars on Monday" mentality. With today's technology they could still make them damn safe.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    While I'm thinking of it, any of the people around VA gonna be at the Martinsville race next week? Bunch of us coppers from here going to be there.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

bmf95b is offline PATROL DEPUTY
    Toyota is slowly gonna take over the BIG 3...

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf95b View Post
    THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!!!!
    I'm ready for spring!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Over my dead body.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    CoT - don't like it. Keep the body of the car with its boxier greenhouse and the safety improvements, but ditch that front diffuser and put the current nose back on. The noses were the last thing that differentiated the current cars.

The wing I'm not in love with, but find me a car with a spoiler anymore. May not be what we're used to, but a wing is a lot more stock than a blade these days.

Edit : Quick and dirty image edit. Hmm, that's fugly too. The old swoopy nose on the boxy car looks like a beak.

Last edited by BEB; 03-27-07 at 08:55 PM.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I heard something on the news about how at the rate they're selling cars, they will indeed move into the top 3 within the next 10 years or something...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Ask Mikey Waltrip about Toyotas,hell I think he has only qualified once this season.

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    No point starting a new NASCAR thread. Besides, the poll on this one is still active. I watched today's race and have some new questions.

Now that you've seen the CoT race a few times, has your opinion changed? More positive or negative than before?

Did Gordon's tribute to Earnhardt rub you the wrong way?

What should be done about so called fans throwing things on the track?

To answer my own questions - the CoT is growing on me. I don't especially like it, but I'm already getting used to it. * Jeff Gordon's tribute was a tribute, I'm sure that's what he was doing, and I still didn't like it. But then I'm not into this whole burnout after winning idea to start with. If he would have driven a Polish salute with the flag held high I would have taken it differently. * And finally, as to so called fans who throw things - they should be banned from every ISC track for life. Criminal charges on top of that.

Thread Information