Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: The War

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky

The War

Who's watching?

It's amazing that there is still so much about WWII that we don't know, or that never really gets talked about.

It's really good, but be warned, there is very graphic footage included.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    I watched tonight. Didn't know the Germans had that much success in submarine warfare off our coast.

If you don't know what we're talking about, it's a Ken Burns documentary airing on PBS the next couple weeks. Upcoming episodes are :

A Necessary War The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor thrusts the U.S. into World War II; thousands of Japanese-Americans must enter inland internment camps. [First aired tonight - multiple replays coming]

When Things Get Tough In January 1943, the Germans continue to occupy most of Western Europe; America converts nearly all manufacturing to the war effort.

A Deadly Calling The American public sees pictures and newsreel footage of troops killed in action; Japanese-American men join the U.S. 442nd Regimental Combat Team.

Pride of Our Nation On D-Day, 1.5 million Allied troops embark on the invasion of France; the Marines fight a costly battle on the island of Saipan in the Western Pacific.

FUBAR Allied troops on the German border run short of fuel; commanders decide to drop airborne troops behind enemy lines in the Netherlands; Gen. MacArthur plans to land forces on the Philippine island of Leyte.

The Ghost Front After three years of fighting, bad news from the War Department seems endless; Hitler launches a counterattack in the Ardennes forest of Belgium and Luxembourg.

A World Without War Although the Nazis are on the verge of collapse, President Franklin D. Roosevelt warns Americans the war with Japan could rage on for years.

From www.zap2it.com which I prefer for TV listings. If it sounds interesting find your PBS station on there, click the station name under the channel number and it'll give you a week schedule view to check times.

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    I watched it last night, good program. But then, everything Ken Burns does is good.
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    From what I've seen, it's a great show. I've heard that WWII vets are dying at the rate of 1500 a day. I know a few, and the stories they tell are fantastic. I was talking with one last week, and he shared that he fought in every major battle in Italy, starting at Anzio. I grew up with his kids, and no one ever knew that he's been wounded twice and received the Bronze Star for bravery. When we were little, we used to play "Army" and used a German helmet that he brought back with him. He told me he got the helmet when he was on forward patrol one night. He got lost and settled in a hole to wait for enough light to see to get back to U.S. lines, and when it was light enough to see, he found he'd been sharing the hole with a dead German. He was behind German lines, so he put the helmet on as he crawled back toward American lines, and he kept the helmet and brought it home with him.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    My uncle was a glider pilot in WWII he hardly ever talked about the war. Through research I have found he made 3 glider landings, D-Day, the netherlands and I bielieve Italy. He has the Distinguished Flying Cross and2 Air Medals plus many others.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information