Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you like NASCAR?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like NASCAR a lot.

12 41.38%
  • I'm somewhat interested in NASCAR but don't watch it a lot.

8 27.59%
  • I don't like NASCAR.

7 24.14%
  • I have no idea what NASCAR races are beyond what I learn from O/R and Google.

2 6.90%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Do you like NASCAR? If so, what do you enjoy about it? When did you start liking it, and what got you interested in it?

Do you like watching NASCAR? If so, what do you enjoy about it? When did you start liking it, and what got you interested in it?

I became curious about this after reading the boogity boogity boogity thread here: http://www.officerresource.com/forum...ad.php?t=25539

I actually had almost no idea what NASCAR was prior to reading this thread. So what do NASCAR fans find fascinating about people driving cars really fast in circles?

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    I have loved NASCAR for a long time and there is so much more than just cars driving in circles for five hours. The is alot of stradegy involved with the setup of the cars and how the team will work during the race.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    When you watch an NFL or NHL or MLB game, it's one team versus one team.

In a Nascar race, it's 1 team against the other 42 drivers on the track. The competition is tremendous.

In addition to that, the technology that goes into it is huge. Millions of dollars are spent to shave off a half a second off of lap times.

Also, as already stated, there is a HUGE amount of strategy involved. Everything from changing a 1/4 lb of tire pressure (to get an extra 1/4 second shaved off that lap time), to adjusting the spoiler for rear downforce, taping the front of the car up for downforce in the front, to a hundred other things you can do to the car to make it go just a hair faster than the competition...which as I already said is FORTY TWO other drivers.

When I mention the 43 drivers on the track, it's good to point out that they aren't the only ones winning the races. The crew chief making decisions on when to pit, what to do during the pit, etc are important for winning races. The drivers spotter sits up on top of the grandstands letting the driver know everything that's going on aruond him (no mirrors), his laps times, and the lap times of the cars around him, what lines on the track are fastest, etc. The pit crew themself make or break races. Changing 4 tires and putting in 22 gallons of fuel in 13.5 seconds may mean winning the race over the guy that did the same thing in 13.7 seconds.

And most importantly, Nascar racing is all about the fans. Every nascar driver refrences their sponsors in an interview because the sponsors are paying millions to have their logo plastered on their hood. But the drivers also ALWAYS mention the importance of their fans, cheering in the stands, buying merchandise, writing letters, etc. The fans are Nascar, and Nascar recognizes it. Nascar takes care of their fans. What other sporting event can you walk up and down the sidelines while the game is going on?? You can do that at a Nascar race if you get a Pit Pass. My dad went to Daytona this year and stood on Pit Road during the race, just a few feet from tracks, drivers, cars, and crews. What other sport gives the fans that opportunity?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Gosh darn its dat time of season, I better git ma wife beater back out.... dont think I git dem dar stains out frm last ear

J/K, Nascar is interesting because of strategy, plus you tell me if you can drive 200 mph and act like its nothing (even if you are going in a left circle) Plus there is so much more about a nascar car thats going on that you have to know how to handle all aspects.

I really dont have a favorite driver, I mainly like the crashes

baumshoe is offline Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    +1000000000

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    When you watch an NFL or NHL or MLB game, it's one team versus one team.

In a Nascar race, it's 1 team against the other 42 drivers on the track. The competition is tremendous.

In addition to that, the technology that goes into it is huge. Millions of dollars are spent to shave off a half a second off of lap times.

Also, as already stated, there is a HUGE amount of strategy involved. Everything from changing a 1/4 lb of tire pressure (to get an extra 1/4 second shaved off that lap time), to adjusting the spoiler for rear downforce, taping the front of the car up for downforce in the front, to a hundred other things you can do to the car to make it go just a hair faster than the competition...which as I already said is FORTY TWO other drivers.

When I mention the 43 drivers on the track, it's good to point out that they aren't the only ones winning the races. The crew chief making decisions on when to pit, what to do during the pit, etc are important for winning races. The drivers spotter sits up on top of the grandstands letting the driver know everything that's going on aruond him (no mirrors), his laps times, and the lap times of the cars around him, what lines on the track are fastest, etc. The pit crew themself make or break races. Changing 4 tires and putting in 22 gallons of fuel in 13.5 seconds may mean winning the race over the guy that did the same thing in 13.7 seconds.

And most importantly, Nascar racing is all about the fans. Every nascar driver refrences their sponsors in an interview because the sponsors are paying millions to have their logo plastered on their hood. But the drivers also ALWAYS mention the importance of their fans, cheering in the stands, buying merchandise, writing letters, etc. The fans are Nascar, and Nascar recognizes it. Nascar takes care of their fans. What other sporting event can you walk up and down the sidelines while the game is going on?? You can do that at a Nascar race if you get a Pit Pass. My dad went to Daytona this year and stood on Pit Road during the race, just a few feet from tracks, drivers, cars, and crews. What other sport gives the fans that opportunity?

Deputy Joe is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    The last time I watched a race was about 5 years ago. I turned on the Daytona 500 and watched the end of the race. I thought, "this is their big race, I should watch." Earnhardt hit the wall and died.

The next year I watched the Preakness Stakes. I tought, "this is their big race, I should watch." Barbaro ended up blowing a hoof and eventually died.

I must refrain from watching any sort of race.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    I don't get NASCAR, most boring thing I have ever seen.
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't watch much of any sports but I have caught the occassional NASCAR race. I think driving that fast and having to control the car would be an incredible experience to say the least. If you watch the in car cameras the roadway seems to be quite the challenge. Not the smooth pavement you would think it is.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I can take it or leave it. I wouldn't mind watching it with someone who really enjoyed it, but I would never choose to watch it on my own.

Hannah87 is offline Giggidy... Giggidy..
    Verified LEO
    I like Nascar but I don't watch it a lot, mainly cause I can't sit that long watching them do the same thing over and over. I agree that a lot of strategy is involved, etc. Plus, the drivers aren't that bad looking....................... ......
    May you rest in peace Daddy and may you never hurt again. I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you again.

12/12/44- 2/26/09

Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I don't get NASCAR, most boring thing I have ever seen.

I think badminton is more exciting than car racing
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I don't like NASCAR. A lot of my friends love NASCAR. To each his own, I guess.

Terminator is offline BANNED

jdb91 is offline Sheepdog
    I'd rather watch anything other than NASCAR.

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    I think---> 2 girls 1 cup <--- ,is more exciting than car racing

You need help!!!!!LMAO
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdb91 View Post
    I'd rather watch anything other than NASCAR.
    Anything?

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I think this about sums it up. Hard to believe that someone else hasn't posted this youtube clip yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcx1RHmexDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OtcrnXuVyU

I posted both just in case one doesn't work. Same video clip from different users. Cletus Judd does a great job with parodies.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Nascar is like hockey to me. On TV it just isn't that great. In person it is really cool. I have never been able to watch a nascar race from start to finish on TV. I always wait till the end. I have been to one nascar race. My parents and I had pit passes to the Talladega 500. We got to watch the practices, the tuning before the race, and all the other prep. I have pictures of the inside of Dale Sr.'s car. When the race started it shook from the ground to your insides. I watched most of the race leaning on Dale Sr's tire stacks. Yes, you have to dodge lug nuts flying. I watched all the pits from about 10 yards from the cars. I was there all day and it seemed like it passed by in about an hour. I must admit I like the road races on the nascar circuit better. I believe that road racing is much more entertaining. Specifically the GT Cup racing using modded street cars. This is the track about 30 minutes away from my house http://www.barbermotorsports.com/

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I'm somewhat interested in Nascar being a car guy. However, it's not exactly on the top of my list of my favorite motor sports. I totally respect it, but I prefer road courses over mainly oval tracks. I really like the American Le Mans Series races and F1. Now that's real racing!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Steve in PA is offline Banned
    I like NASCAR. I'm not a fanatic about it, but I enjoy it. I started watching it way back when........King Richard was the king and still racing.

Didn't have a favorite driver for a long time, but then started really liking Ernie Irvan. Too bad a wreck ruined his career.

My favorite driver is Jeff Gordon, even though lots of people don't like him. I liked him long before everyone else jumped on the band wagon.

I also pull for Jimmy Johnson. I took a liking to Dale Jr last year, so with him coming over to Hendrick, only good things can happen.

Hate Stewart and Kurt Bush. Kyle Bush wrecked more people than anyone in NASCAR history I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information